1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

This could be my last post...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'rat rod'....

Here's to avoiding a fatal virus and a solid looking beauty!

DW

Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Gives me the ******* just looking at it...I guess we all have tales to tell about resurrecting old vehicles that have been neglected for years and left to the rodents. The last 54 I bought had a sagging headliner, no need to go into all the gory details...needless to say it was a mess.

Here's some info on hantavirus and it's symptoms:
Hantavirus has an incubation time of two to four weeks in humans before symptoms of infection occur. The symptoms of HFRS can be split into five phases:
Febrile phase: Symptoms include fever, chills, sweaty palms, diarrhea, malaise, headaches, nausea, abdominal and back pain, respiratory problems such as the ones common in the influenza virus, as well as gastro-intestinal problems. These symptoms normally occur for three to seven days and arise about two to three weeks after exposure.
Hypotensive phase: This occurs when the blood platelet levels drop and symptoms can lead to tachycardia and hypoxemia. This phase can last for 2 days.
Oliguric phase: This phase lasts for three to seven days and is characterised by the onset of renal failure and proteinuria occurs.
Diuretic phase: This is characterized by diuresis of three to six litres per day, which can last for a couple of days up to weeks.
Convalescent phase: This is normally when recovery occurs and symptoms begin to improve.

Formerly known as Korean hemorrhagic fever, HFRS is the term accepted by the World Health Organization.

Hantavirus (cardio-)pulmonary syndrome

Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is an often fatal disease caused by hantavirus infection. The symptoms are very similar to those of HFRS and include tachycardia and tachypnea. Additionally, patients will develop difficulty breathing, coughing and shortness of breath. Such conditions can lead to a cardiopulmonary phase, where cardiovascular shock can occur, and hospitalization of the patient is required. HPS was first recognized in 1993 in the southwest of the United States by Bruce Tempest MD, and was originally called "Four Corners disease". It has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is fatal in up to 60% of cases. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection. People suspecting illness are encouraged to contact their local health department.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by Heater51
had to yank the seat out to get to all the crud. thinking i need to powerwash the cab to get the baked on rat poop out

That's good work so far. Assuming you're still with us, 2 more bolts, along with removing the filler neck and fuel line from underneath will have the gas tank and tool tray out of there, too. There's bound to be crap behind there that needs to be cleaned out as well. A good washing and scrubbing is definitely in order. While you're there, don't forget to clean out the header panel above the windshield and the windshield posts on either side of the glass. Those are very popular places for rodents to build nests.

I was lucky with my Merc, I just had the remnants of old paper wasp nests packed everywhere, and I do mean packed everywhere. No mice, but about as creepy.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Heater51
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
I hope you wore a mask or at least held your breath and didn't kick up too much dust into the air... Nice truck...

Is that a Charger next to your truck?
Good eye. 66 dodge charger

Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
jm ray
Senior User
look out .where there is mice, there is a snake living on them.ask how i know..they do help keep the mouse population under control...

Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jm ray
look out .where there is mice, there is a snake living on them.ask how i know..they do help keep the mouse population under control...
How do you know?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
How do you know?
Probably the same way I did--I found a 5 foot black snake hanging off one of my roof joists of my shed earlier this year. (Pssst......don't tell the Truckstock people....they'll freak out)

Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Probably the same way I did--I found a 5 foot black snake hanging off one of my roof joists of my shed earlier this year. (Pssst......don't tell the Truckstock people....they'll freak out)

Ahhh, When I was in the first grade I came home to a big black snake in my bedroom. (only it was dead with a piece colored yarn in its mouth,) Yes a cruel practical joke on me!!!
That was in Rural Gruetli, Grundy County TN

Maybe thats why I hate snake now!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Heater51
Freshman User
I got to jump in the cab when i bought it and get towed about an 1/8th of mile from the pasture where the truck sat up to the house. I thought for sure some critter was going to come crawling or slithering out. Gives me the ******* just thinking about it.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:50 PM
52 Ford F1
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep up the good work. Hard to tell through the feces, but it does not look like to bad of a canvas.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Heater51
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
That's good work so far. Assuming you're still with us, 2 more bolts, along with removing the filler neck and fuel line from underneath will have the gas tank and tool tray out of there, too. There's bound to be crap behind there that needs to be cleaned out as well. A good washing and scrubbing is definitely in order. While you're there, don't forget to clean out the header panel above the windshield and the windshield posts on either side of the glass. Those are very popular places for rodents to build nests.

I was lucky with my Merc, I just had the remnants of old paper wasp nests packed everywhere, and I do mean packed everywhere. No mice, but about as creepy.
Great idea. Got the tank pulled this evening. Pretty easy. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the inside of the tank is in good shape. Plenty more crap behind the tank.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:45 AM
LastChanceGarage
New User
I had the same issue in my Chevy truck, only I wasn't sure what the strange tiny ***** were and started scooping them up by hand and putting them in a bag. 20 minutes in my buddy came down and told me wat I was scooping was mouse crap. Good luck with your "rat" rod lol

Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget to use an attachment on your vacuum to get down into the cab corners either, as well as in the space above the windshield as Wayne suggested.
Years ago I was given a 50 Chevy sedan that had been sitting in a parking garage for 15 years. We hooked up a tow bar and halfway home we had to stop to re-adjust it at a light. It was about 6 in the morning so no traffic, but when we got out to tighten the tow bar, we saw dozens of large rats running all directions from that car. When we got it to the shop, 5 or 6 more ran out. We ended up taking it to the junk yard, that car was trash. They ate every wire, all the fabric, door panels, chewed up all the rubber, and left all their litter in every possible place.

Last edited by topmoo; 08-17-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: can't type
Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
I've said this before in other posts but this might be a good idea for future buyers. When buying an old vehicle that has sat, I always throw in an insect fogger as I am towing it to its new home. These foggers are the kind you push the button and leave in your house for 4 hours. I have found cars with black widow spiders, snakes, rats, etc. I was bitten by a brown recluse spider back in 2000 when looking at an old Falcon. Since then I always fog the cars. It is harmless as long as you let it sit for a couple of hours to air out, don't have an open flame around it and clean out everything afterwards. These foggers will also run off rodents and snakes. Just my .02.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Heater51
Freshman User
I think it's fair to say that I got at least 50 lbs of crap and rat nest out of the truck. Luckily the seat is in decent shape, and most of the electrical is okay.

Quick Reply: This could be my last post...