1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

'ello

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 11:49 PM
jimi_thing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'ello

Hello all. My name is Beth. I'm the proud new owner of a 1963 Ford truck. It has a 1987 Mustang 5.0 engine in it. It's pretty rusted out, it still has the original transmission...I dont even know where to start. I'm really excited about working on it. If you have any advice for a person with no knowledge of vehicles whatsoever, I'd love to hear it.

Old 05-13-2003, 05:37 AM
CustomChrome
Freshman User
'ello

Get a library card and find the repair books.

Then tear into it get dirty and have a blast.

Other than that welcome aboard.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:26 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'ello

Welcome to our world.
However, let me be the first to put a damper on this project. If your truck is really rusty, use it as a parts truck and buy a better one to start with. Fighting rust is a losing battle. It's hard enough to find a decent rad support or hood; if you add a cab, doors, and bed to it you've got a never ending, heartbreaking money pit.
I got mine from NC, nearly rust free for $2600 and drove it home. I'd spend twice that fixing rust on a rotten truck. Not worth it.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:55 AM
captcarstop
Senior User
'ello

I will have to second the parts truck theory. I started many moon ago with a cougar that was pretty rusty and ended up losing the war with the wonderful world or corrosion.

If the frame and drivetrain are solid, some elbow grease, sndblasting, and paint will tidy them up. However, if the cab and bed are rusted out, it is going to end up a patch after patch "Quilt" pattern and lots of welding. It will quickly become a heartbreaker.

I think your best be is to find a second truck that has a good body and combine the two. Since you already have a drive train, (and possibly a good frame / suspension), a truck with a decent body for transplant won't ned to run or even have a motor.

I got super lucky with my 66 as it was a California truck and was almost rust free!

Keep an eye out on ebay and the junk yards.

good luck and let us know where the project takes you

Old 05-13-2003, 08:51 AM
captcarstop
Senior User
'ello

hey again,

no sooner than I suggest Ebay, I am checking for me and just spotted a 60 F100 with a DOA motor. Picture looks like this body is in good shape. Starts at $500.

2415230135 is the item number. hope it is close enough to ya.

Ron

Old 05-13-2003, 10:50 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
'ello

Originally posted by jimi_thing
Hello all. My name is Beth. I'm the proud new owner of a 1963 Ford truck. It has a 1987 Mustang 5.0 engine in it. It's pretty rusted out, it still has the original transmission...I dont even know where to start. I'm really excited about working on it. If you have any advice for a person with no knowledge of vehicles whatsoever, I'd love to hear it.
Hi Beth,
Welcome to FTE and congratulations on your new project. If your truck runs and drives just have fun with it. Don't worry too much about these guys. Their advice is good, but it doesn't help you at the moment Everybody needs an old beater with character.

The 302/5.0 is a great engine. Did the previous owner swap in the fuel injection too, or just go with a carburator?

Where is your truck rusted out? Fenders, cab, floor, etc?

For advice, I'd start reading this forum's old posts for areas you have questions about, buy manuals that you can get here (motorhaven.com) and look online for parts catalogs from suppliers - such as Sacramento Vintage Ford, Mac's Antique Auto Parts, etc.

Ask whenever you have specific questions and the guys/gals here will come thru for you.

Old 05-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
'ello

I have to agree with mtflat. Get your feet wet with it. You can always replace what rust you have. Check out the body work forum for some help on rust and panel repairs.