1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

super duty steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
srpservices
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super duty steering problem

i have a 2000 F250 super duty that the steering started getting hard to turn one way, then both ways, then work sometimes. i put a new steering gear box on about a year ago just because it was worn. truck has 335,000 miles on it. i replaced the pump ystday and it acts the same. i have un hooked the steering stabilizers, no change. unhooked the steering from the pitman arm and it easily steers with engine on or off. jacked up the front and it will turn back n forth. with steering stabilizers unhooked u can grab the tire and it very easily turns back n forth. i locked one hub at a time n turned both ways spinning wheel and it turns real easy. no noise or binding so i would think the u joint is not binding.
old pump wasnt making any noise and new one doesnt either. seems to be circulating fluid back into res tank.
any tips would be helpful. searched on here n found some things to try but still havent gotten it solved.

thanks scott

Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by srpservices
i have a 2000 F250 super duty that the steering started getting hard to turn one way, then both ways, then work sometimes. i put a new steering gear box on about a year ago just because it was worn. truck has 335,000 miles on it. i replaced the pump ystday and it acts the same. i have un hooked the steering stabilizers, no change. unhooked the steering from the pitman arm and it easily steers with engine on or off. jacked up the front and it will turn back n forth. with steering stabilizers unhooked u can grab the tire and it very easily turns back n forth. i locked one hub at a time n turned both ways spinning wheel and it turns real easy. no noise or binding so i would think the u joint is not binding.
old pump wasnt making any noise and new one doesnt either. seems to be circulating fluid back into res tank.
any tips would be helpful. searched on here n found some things to try but still havent gotten it solved.

thanks scott
More than likely its the u-joint in the front axle. Had same issue before.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 PM
srpservices
Senior User
have front off the ground with stabilizers unhooked. u can turn the tires left and right real easy. with hubs locked u can spin wheel with them turned both directions easily. i dont think the u joint is causing any binding although there is one thats bad, but its loose not binding. i can get a little movement on one lower ball joint. they have been replaced so it has a grease zerk n have been greased.
beginning to think maybe i have a bad new pump. it is a auto zone rebuilt one.
anyone know if they make an after market one with a lil more power for larger tires.

thanks scott

Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
<TABLE border=1 rules=groups cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="90%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>
  • Poor returnability/sticky steering
</TD><TD>
  • Binding lower steering column shaft U-joints.
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Loose, worn or damaged front wheel knuckle tie-rod.
</TD><TD>
  • GO to Component Tests, Tie-Rod Articulation Torque in this section.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Loose, worn or damaged tie-rod ends.
</TD><TD>
  • GO to Component Tests, Steering Linkage in this section.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Suspension components.
</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD>
  • Binding steering column bearing(s).
  • Binding dash boot seal.
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 PM
mgrove1983
Junior User
I would try to unbolt the steering shaft and see if the binding is in the steering column.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 PM
srpservices
Senior User
did about all the trouble shooting things i could find on here and finally just pulled gear box and replaced it. the one on there was only a year old from napa. they warranteed it for me. put the new one on and it works great. better that the other one ever did.
simptoms were that it would only turn to the left. turning to the right was like there was no power assist at all. the truck does have 39.5 mickey thompsons on it so it works it pretty good.
just thought i would let everyone know what i found.

scott

Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 AM
WADE MMT/PSD
Former Vendor
Thanks for the update. those big tires are gear box killers.