Sponsored by: Moser

Keeping the rust at bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
tspangle84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ford8502
I think you'll need more pressure. It's thinner than honey, but not much.
Also, you don't need to put it on thick. A thin layer is fine as it creeps and crawls into areas you missed. I've seen it gradually spread several inches (a very thin film) if left alone in warmer temps. I use the aerosol cans to spray in the doors and tailgate areas because they create a fog along with the spray, and everything inside those areas gets a protective film. I love the stuff. As the Frank's Red Hot sauce commercial says, "I put that $#!+ on everything".
OK, thanks. I just ordered the Fluid Film "undercoating kit" from Amazon along with a pint of Rust Bullet. Will take pics and report back when I'm done.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM
ebexp94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested in the Fluid Film on my truck. Currently I'm renting and living in the city though, so I don't have the equipment or space to do it myself.

Is this something that can be professionally done? Anyone have experience with the aerosol version? I might be able to pull that off myself.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:07 PM
murph1
Senior User
i have always used the spray cans myself......cost is a bit more,but then i always have a easy quick can laying around...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
If you apply it with an undercoating gun the best pressure to apply it with is 45-50 psi .....spray it in every nook and cranny...inside panels....I spray all my suspension...every bushing....all the bolts....anywhere I can get close to gets covered with it. Takes about 1/2 gallon to do a truck for me...I take my spare out and spray that whole assembly as well as the spares rim. The only place on the truck I don't spray is my brake discs....I even spray my chrome on the outside and then wipe it down with a clean rag to get it shiny again.

This was my Super Duty after a full winter of Maine's calcium chloride and salt treatment we get from the roads...unheard of for me to have a truck make it through the first winter without being covered in rust....I was impressed to say the least

I just finished spraying out my F150 around 1/2 an hour ago to keep it from getting rust on it.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 AM
murph1
Senior User
Originally Posted by ebexp94
I'm interested in the Fluid Film on my truck. Currently I'm renting and living in the city though, so I don't have the equipment or space to do it myself.

Is this something that can be professionally done? Anyone have experience with the aerosol version? I might be able to pull that off myself.

all i have used is the spray cans....its more expensive that way but it works for me.....

Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Frapper
Senior User
Originally Posted by ebexp94
If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow and road salt, there should be garages that offer this service, and specialized shops even. I usually get our vehicles done at the car wash.

The only difference between the corner garage and a specialty shop is people sometimes complain about garages using too much oil, and the car smelling of oil, or leaving oil spills in the driveway afterwards. If you choose to do it yourself, common sense will go a long way.

Garages also drill a small hole in each car door. They use a special wand to spray the inside of the doors with oil. You can remove the door panels and achieve the same results.

It's not rocket science really. I knew a Mexican who told me he'd spray his car with a mixture of used motor oil and diesel fuel. Car looked like it'd been spray painted with dirty old motor oil and driven through the mud, the bottom of the car was just coated with a layer of dirty grime, like you'd find on your front end if you lube it like you're supposed to.

But it wasn't rusted. The good stuff they use in the shop is designed to penetrate the metal. Trick is to do it on a nice warm day, or a heated garage, so the metal absorbs it better.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts
I just finished spraying fluid film inside the rockers, above the rear wheelwells, and around all the cab supports. I have one question though, I got it on pretty dang thick inside the rockers(in some areas it looked like snot dripping off) and was wondering if that will make it less effective or if the only negative is that I wasted a bunch?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
I just finished spraying fluid film inside the rockers, above the rear wheelwells, and around all the cab supports. I have one question though, I got it on pretty dang thick inside the rockers(in some areas it looked like snot dripping off) and was wondering if that will make it less effective or if the only negative is that I wasted a bunch?
Only negative is you wasted a bunch. If possible I'd spray the whole undercarriage. It will keep your differential, axles etc from showing rust.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
tspangle84
Senior User
I promised an update after I treated my truck, here it is. First off, I bought a pint of Rust Bullet and the Fluid Film undercoating kit from Amazon. Then I sprayed the whole underside of my truck with Simple Green, then powerwashed it very thoroughly. I let it dry for a few days, then I crawled under there and hit all the surface rust I could see with the Rust Bullet. Here's a pic of the transmission crossmember with the Rust Bullet:

The worst areas seemed to be on the welded seams on the crossmember and frame rails, and anywhere that the factory coating had been chipped or scratched. The front lower control arms were particularly bad, they had lots of surface rust all over the undersides. So, after letting the Rust Bullet dry, I hit it with some flat black Rustoleum to topcoat it.

The next day, I removed the tape on the rocker panel holes and sprayed Fluid Film inside the rockers. I then wiped down the holes with acetone and covered the holes with aluminum tape (the kind used for patching exhaust leaks). It's a stopgap, like I said I'd like to plug those holes with plastic or rubber plugs. But it has to be better than the duct tape that Ford used, too. I then sprayed the whole rest of the underside of the truck with Fluid Film, spraying inside the frame rails wherever I could, removing the wheels to get up inside the fender lips, etc.

The kit came with an aerosol can, so I used to get inside the doors and tailgate. Fortunately, the doors have these handy little rubber plugs near the bottom:

So I removed those, put the hose into the door as far as it would go, then sprayed as I pulled it out. When I was done I could see the Fluid Film starting to leak out the drain holes:

So, we'll see. I washed the truck last night and tonight it'll get another coat of Meguars NXT 2.0 wax. Doing everything I can to protect this major investment!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
For those of you with the Fluid Film spray cans. How did you get inside the doors and achieve a thorough coat along he bottom seam?
I sprayed h best I could but feel its not enough given the length of the door. Should I remove the door panel or thought about drilling 3 small holes towards the bottom of the panel just big enough to get he spray wand insid and be able to move it around when spraying

Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 AM
tspangle84
Senior User
Originally Posted by Billyclub
For those of you with the Fluid Film spray cans. How did you get inside the doors and achieve a thorough coat along he bottom seam?
I sprayed h best I could but feel its not enough given the length of the door. Should I remove the door panel or thought about drilling 3 small holes towards the bottom of the panel just big enough to get he spray wand insid and be able to move it around when spraying
See above. IMO, there's no need to drill any holes or take off the panel, I just removed the flat-oval shaped rubber plug. My kit came with a thin, flexible hose about 20" long that you could use with the aerosol can. I fed that down the length of the door as far as it would go, then sprayed as I slowly pulled it out. I have Fluid Film seeping from both drain holes at either end of the door, so I'm convinced I got pretty good coverage.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Buck268
Elder User
Dixiedog, did you flush or rinse the underside over the winter or did you rely purely on the fluid film providing a barrier?

Also, how many cans would one be likely to use on a single vehicle application?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Y'all boys come on south! Heheheheheheeee, well, I bought a '93 Dakota from Ohio in '97, it was treated with (or by) Ziebart - nary rust to this day! Of course, I rescued it from the salty north, but it's been kept outside mostly, and used like a TRUCK, and still no rust. I hate rust on anything!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:34 AM
rer_239
New User
existing rust

can this fluid film be sprayed on existing rust? just bought a '06 with 120000 miles. has anyone used por15? any other recommendations.
thanks
rer_239

Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Buck268
Elder User
Supposedly it will stop/slow existing rust, just like immersing rusty metal in oil would. Definitely not a permanent solution but as long as you keep the rusty metal adequately coated I don't have any reason to doubt its ability to keep it from worsening.

I've actually used a LOT of fluid film this year. Sprayed the underbody with Amsoil HDMP for the most part but used Fluid Film in all the trapped spaces like inside the doors, inside the frame, and I also tried to get all the nooks and crannies in the body work too such as the rockers and the cab and bed stringers. No reports on effectiveness but it definitely has some creep as you can see it starting to creep out of those locations onto surrounding metal. The reports of the odd smell are correct, too. My GF complains it smells like "B.O." although it dissipates eventually.

Quick Reply: Keeping the rust at bay