1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Making 1 truck out of 2!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 AM
LastChanceGarage
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making 1 truck out of 2!

Hi,

My boyfriend acquired a 1948 Ford chassis in very good condition a while back, and we stored it in the garage. A few months later we happened upon the body of a 1956 and now we are trying to mash them together for lack of a better phrase! Just wondering if anyone has a couple of good chassis diagrams I can go by, I don't want the cab to be too far back or forward and I think we may have to modify the chassis a little.

Thanks!
Kelly

Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
The frames are completely different. The 48 -52 frames are narrower from the front cab mounts, the cabs from 53-56 are wider. Don't waste your time and money trying to fit the two together. Look for a frame from a 53-56 and save yourself a multitude of headaches.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 AM
LastChanceGarage
New User
Well let's just say for arguments sake that we are too stubborn to do things the easy way I should have added in that me and my boyfriend will force any project- no matter how time consuming and impossible it seems at the time- to work. The other thing is, we are suckers for old crap no one else wants, so the key here is to save not only this poor, old decrepit 56 pickup but also this misused chassis as well!

So I'm still looking for the measurments of a 48 and 56, so I can compare and my boyfriend can make the appropriate alterations... if anyone can help it would be much appreciated!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by LastChanceGarage
Well let's just say for arguments sake that we are too stubborn to do things the easy way

So I'm still looking for the measurments of a 48 and 56, so I can compare and my boyfriend can make the appropriate alterations... if anyone can help it would be much appreciated!
First of all, welcome to the forum.
You indicate you have both major pieces that you want to merge. Why not place them side by side, take appropriate measurements from each and modify as required. Just the way I would tackle the situation.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!.

Sounds like you've got a good start on making two trucks.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I echo 56panelford's comments. I understand your "use what you got" attitude. I'm much like that myself. However, it seems you should be able to find a 53-56 frame somewhere and trade the 48-52 frame off to someone who needs it for their truck.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts

VS.

I've been here for about 2 years now. As best I can recall, I have never once seen anybody mention trying to combine the frame and/or body of a 48-52 with a 53-56. Listen to the guys above--find the appropriate frame and save yourself a ton of headaches.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM
LastChanceGarage
New User
The hardest part is finding the frame for it- I live in Newfoundland which is a small island surrounded by ocean (salt water!!) on all sides. So finding these two half trucks is a miracle out this way. The Last Chance Garage is operating on a limited budget too And this is one of several projects we have on the go, as he has a 1931 Model A and I have 2 ***** (gotta feeling if I say what I have its a dirty word around here!)

Thanks Doc, I'm printing those right now!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Well let's just say for arguments sake that we are too stubborn to do things the easy way I should have added in that me and my boyfriend will force any project- no matter how time consuming and impossible it seems at the time- to work. The other thing is, we are suckers for old crap no one else wants, so the key here is to save not only this poor, old decrepit 56 pickup but also this misused chassis as well!

I'm not saying it can't be done as I built my 56 panel on a 72 chevy frame but from my own experience and stubborness I know it would be much less frustration and cost you less. It's kind of like driving that square peg into that round hole. there are plenty of frames out there and likely one not far from where you are, just saying as I'm trying to help.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
The Last Chance Garage is operating on a limited budget too And this is one of several projects we have on the go, as he has a 1931 Model A and I have 2 ***** (gotta feeling if I say what I have its a dirty word around here!)
Show us pictures of your projects. Including the Chevy. Just please--don't say the words "rat rod"!

Yeah I'd say there's not an abundant supply of 53-56 frames laying around in Newfoundland. I have a good friend from there.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
LastChanceGarage
New User
Originally Posted by Doc
Show us pictures of your projects. Including the Chevy. Just please--don't say the words "rat rod"!

Yeah I'd say there's not an abundant supply of 53-56 frames laying around in Newfoundland. I have a good friend from there.
Haha ok well these are my cars. I've had this 1975 Camaro for 12 years, it's my "race car" but I drive it on the street so it's not a full drag car or anything. Its a 383 stroker, 350 TH transmission, 4.10 gears

This is my "new" car its a 1969 Chevelle SS, purchased (of course) in pieces last november. Most of it is together now, and I painted it last weekend! Temporarily has a 350 engine, and a 4 speed gearbox, unsure of the gears but think they are 3.23

I'll post some pictures of the man's cars after lunch! gotta find his photo bucket pictures lol

Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM
gsato55
Senior User
welcome! I must say I admire what you and your boyfriend are trying to do. Best of luck.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:33 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Welcome LastChance. Not to be a downer but I think this needs to be pointed out. You are willing to waste the time, energy and money to chop up a frame to hopefully make it work but you aren't willing to spend that on getting the correct frame which will save you time, money and energy? Do you know how many people would LOVE to have a usable 48-52 frame? I am all for customization or "darksiding" as it is referred to around here, but I have seen too many projects cobbled together and very few ever get completed. If you hope to have ANY value left when everything is said and done, I would find another chassis. Now if you are doing it to do it, that's different. Sadly, money must be factor in these truck projects but from personal experience trying to save money sometimes costs way more. Just my .02. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Here's your solution in Maine. How much of a hastle would it be for you to take a rollback or a trailer on the ferry and then cross the border into the U.S.?

1956 ford pickup parts

Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to FTE

Another thought if possible is to find a newer truck chassis, be just as much work to get it to fit but you'll have some modern convinces and they're a dime a dozen vs a '48-52 frame which you could sell for a decent amount. Just an idea.

Getting the cab on is one thing, getting the engine placement, fenders, running boards, bed and everything else lined up right, that's what makes it a PITA. I've done a lot of builds on the route of 'its all I have', and I can say from experience that if you can get the right part it makes the whole build a lot more fun. Course sometimes that means the build must sit for a while, and that's no fun.

If it helps, you can use a frame from any sized 53-56 and have this be loads easier (might be able to use 57+ but I don't know what changes started where). The bed and wheel base is the easiest to deal with in my opinion, the cab, engine and front clip is where it's difficult. If you use an F250 chassis the wheel base will have to be trimmed 8", but that's it. If you use one larger than that it gets more custom but it would be a lot easier as everything was already designed to bolt on the front of it.

Does the 48-52 chassis have a running gear or is it just the chassis? If you don't have any axles on it or anything else finding a truck that has all the parts you want will make your life a whole lot easier. Many people take a driving truck with the drivetrain they want in it and swap the old sheet metal on top of it. It's not as easy as swapping out parts onto an original frame, but if you don't have one of those and can't get one, it's the easiest path. Where the 48-52 chassis narrows under the cab, that's going to be a real PITA to work a 56 body onto. Yeah it's an inch in on either side but it means custom bumpers, mounting holes, mounting points, ect, and will all be stuff that you'll have to figure out as you go as no one has done it.

With that being said, best of luck in the build! I totally understand building it that way if need be, necessity is the mother of all invention, but there are other similar routes to consider as there is no real benefit of a 48-52 chassis over a newer one when you can't get an original.

Quick Reply: Making 1 truck out of 2!