Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That would be awesome. If he would part with the seats, console, and potentially door panels too I would have most of my interior how I want it! I'll be getting closer to Operation Eddie Bauer then XLT!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
the truth
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called and left a mesage around 10am. From the ad it looks like the panels may be in the back seat.
I'll call on the other.

Edit: Called the other, interior is red. So I'll give the other guy a try again.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Thank you! I sure hope he does want to part them out.. the seat/console set I was looking at sold today....

Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Aw man, sorry to hear that. Sometimes you can't snag them all though. I still have to swing my my local yard sometime and see whats there. I probably wouldn't be able to afford the products or shipping but its worth looking into.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
It always sucks to see something you were working towards get sold to someone else.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah... it's super upsetting... I was looking forward so much to those seats and now they are gone. There was a good price on door panels too that are gone now also.

I wonder if The Truth has heard back from that guy with his Bronco. That would be super awesome if he is willing to part with that stuff. Honestly I would probably buy that whole Bronco too for all the interior parts, but there is no way I can get it to me from Texas.. Hmm time to check Craigslist more often around here...

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bubba...GREAT JOB on the interior! I did the same thing with all my panels also...then used diamond platting for my rear speaker covers and other random places. My next job is to build a console with the diamond plate for my gauges and switches.

Keep up the great work!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM
the truth
Junior User
Sorry Bubba, I'll try to call him again today.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks cje07! Yeah I think my interior has come a long way, but I still have much more to do! I want to find a good place to mount some gauges and eventually a GPS type monitor. I want it to look like it belongs as much as possible though, no aftermarket window mount or something like that.

The Truth, don't be sorry, you're going out of your way to help me and I really appreciate it! However I won't be needing seats anymore.

I kinda got anxious and checked out the leather seats and console from a salvage yard I called a while ago too.. and I decided to buy the set for 250. Overall they were in decent condition, but did have a few tears on the drivers seat, and the leather for both bucket seats was kinda hard and getting brittle. So I am getting them partially reupholstered with vinyl now (the backs of the seats are in really good shape)....

I spent a little more than I was anticipating with upholstery, but not super awful. Plus, the seats will look brand new and they are the leather Eddie Bauer which I was originally looking for!

However, if that guy has the door panels, I'd still be willing to get those from him! I need to find a good set of tan, preferably Eddie Bauer, power door panels.

I'm off now to fix my wiring I did for the drivers side door...... When I pulled the harness from the yard, I cut it at the door jam to save time to grab it out... well that wasn't the best idea. I didn't have a soldering gun, and the crimps I used are not holding well, especially since its at a moving part in the door... Hopefully this new soldering gun I got can secure the wires in place! I don't like my speaker or door light cutting in and out...

Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Use heat-shrink when you insulate the cables after soldering them and they will hold just fine.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I agree with Encho. Heat shrink tube is fairly inexpensive and you can use a lighter to shrink it. It helps quite a bit.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Awesome just a lighter? Good I bought some heat shrink cable but wasn't too sure how to get it them to work. I was going to try and use my moms hair dryer but didn't know yet. I have tons of lighters because I use them to burn the 'cables' on my uniform. No, I don't smoke. I have to run and do physical activity so I never want to smoke. Plus, I have too many other things I NEED to buy other then wasting money on smoking, like guns and parts for my Bronco. All right, I'm going to get outside now and start this. Hopefully soldering isn't too tough since this will be my first time using a soldering gun.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
As for soldering, i would take to pieces of scrap wire that you don't need and practice. It will help. As for the heat tube, a hair dryer could work too but might take longer, just make sure the heat tube doesn't start burning, Hold it about an inch or so above the flame and sort of "wave" the lighter back and forth under it. I think you will know when it is working. Good luck soldier and don't burn yourself

P.S. I don't smoke either (high 5) but i do like fire and lighters. I have a collection of zippos and "somehow" all the Butane lighters in the house end up in my room.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 PM
the truth
Junior User
Glad to hear Bubba. That's a pretty good price for the seats IMO. I texted the guy and this is where it ended. He may be just super busy and the Bronco may not be a big priority? It started of good. haha
Here's the text.
2;13pm Me:Is the Bronco still available?
2:34pm Guy: Yes
2:38pm Me: Are you parting it out or only selling complete?
2:39pm Guy: What do you need?
2:40pm Me: Seats front and back, door panels, and middle console
4:18pm Me: Will you sell those seperately?
5:16pm Me: ?????

If he text back I'll check on door panels.
And my F250 lower driver seat was already re-upholstered with the vinyl and it still looks brand new with no wear, and I've had the truck for over 2 years now.
I look forward to some more pics.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks a lot for asking that guy for all that stuff. If I get the door panels from him, that would be awesome! If not, I really appreciate you going through contacting him and stuff for me.

That's good to hear that the vinyl still looks good after two years. The majority of the leather on the seats I got was actually still in really good condition, but I'm getting the whole bottom of the bucket seats redone so they look new and have no rips. The price for the re-upholstery was, well a lot more then the seats, maybe I'll say how much it was if someone else tells how much they spent first! But overall for the whole set, the console and leather seats that will now be in good condition, I'm not too upset with how much it was. Definitely more then I wanted to spend, but I thought getting leather seats alone would cost more so I'm happy.

I think I have my driver's side door wiring secure enough for now. The soldering was taking way longer than I thought doing it the way I was, so I only soldered four of the wires out of the whole harness. However, the rest of the crimps for the wires are staying on pretty tightly, it was just the smaller gauge wires giving me a problem. I may tackle adding the floor wiring harness that has the plugs for the power seats tomorrow before work. I think that will just consist of me plugging in the harness to the firewall/door-panel harnesses and then soldering the wires that run to the sides of the chassis. I believe those wires are for the rear speakers, but I could be wrong. I'll figure out when I do that tomorrow and take some pictures while I'm at it. I won't be getting my seats until probably the middle of next week..... That's not too far away though.. I just can't wait for them though!!! Plus, I'll have the fancy Eddie Bauer name written on the top of my seats! My Bronco is pretty humble. She displays herself as an XL (at least on the fender emblem), but at heart, she really is an Eddie Bauer!

Quick Reply: Operation XLT