1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

86 Ranger with bogging on any throttle input

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
RangerHALP
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 86 Ranger with bogging on any throttle input

Hey guys, I'm new, and this is my first truck. To start, I've grown up around nothing but imports, so the truck scene is pretty new to me.

This is something I've never come across: the truck will crank and isle with a slight waver in RPM. If I give it any more than about 5% throttle, the entire thing bogs and tries to die. God forbid I try to drive it, as it takes about a block to get it up to 25. I just replaced the fuel filter and high pressure fuel pump, figuring it was one of those either clogged or failed. Reset the pump cut-off switch and it cranked after a few seconds. At first, it seemed like it was alright, but not even 2 minutes into the drive, it bogged again.

By the time I got it back to the house, it was worse than before with the bogging. The guy I bought it from said they had replaced the filter and in-tank pump, which I'm liable to believe since the filter I just changed is almost brand new.

Since it did act a little better to start, I'm starting to think that maybe the connection on the high pressure pump is bad. I cleaned the contacts of the wires to the pump, but the connector itself made me a little iffy.

Any thoughts on this? I'd like to be able to get it running smoothly so I can have a second vehicle other than my motorcycle, but I'm starting to wonder.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which engine does this truck have?

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
RangerHALP
New User
2.9L V6

I haven't yet, as I'm pretty limited with tools and equipment. I'm going tonight to get new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, just because it needs to be done anyway. I did dump a full can of SeaFoam in it earlier to try and break up any clogs in the fuel system, but figure that will take some time to work.

It's an old mud truck, and has definitely had its fair share of beatings. I don't think it's had any real maintenance done on it for awhile. Over the next few months, I'll be picking it back up to speed, but for now, I just want it to get me to and from work. It's only a couple mile drive, and I go faster than 25 on these roads, but just in case.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 PM
RangerHALP
New User
Well, didn't make it to Napa in time, so that will be tomorrow's project. The more I dig into the problem, the more I think it may be an ignition deal. Think the distributor or rotor isn't properly under sudden increases in throttle, causing the engine to start flooding, then getting the back fire and shot bursts of power...

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Gnnut
Junior User
Does it have a catalytic converter and does it glow orange after idling for a while? Check for vacuum leaks.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM
RangerHALP
New User
No cats. Just two pipes from the manifold and drops off at the bed. Haven't had a chance to check for vacuum leaks yet. Most of what I'm trying is also in part of the fact it needs to be done regardless.

Tomorrow while I'm swapping parts, I'll do the old school soap and water. Might stop by harbor freight to see if they have any gauges for cheap (can't help the cheap part. I'm poor)

Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM
RangerHALP
New User
Well, I think I've narrowed it down. I kind of feel stupid about it too...

After changing out the plugs, wire, cap, and rotor, my buddy and I cranked it up to see if there was any change. Nope. So we looked around again and found a blatantly boned PCV grommet. I mean seriously, the thing is d***ed. We pulled it out and it nearly disintegrated.

Feel kinda dumb not checking it to start with, but at least it's not something I'm going to have to fork a thousand bucks into. Will update tomorrow after swapping.