1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: I should know better

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is a diagram in regards to the fuel setup.
and a picture of the eec test terminals. but Since you checked codes you already know about them. I just threw it on here to maybe help others later on.

Attached Images   
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Noticed something else last night while messing with it. Sometimes when I try to start it, it will fire right up and then die. Sometimes it will just spin over and not hit at all, stop and try again and it'll fire right up
I am getting real close to that BFH discussed before

Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a throttle-body that did me like that one time and finally figured it out to be a bad ignition switch not putting fire to the injection.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:20 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did ya ever get the trunk running Jeff?

Look on here if this link works. Is this the engine in your 53? Or close to it?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...enz-300sd.html

Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
If it were the ignition switch make a faulty contact you could try bypassing that by hotwiring the thing at the starter solenoid (I think).

Jeff and Nicolle, thanks for the info. its good info to know.

Way back when, I used to work on that morphodite GM/Bosh system that Caddy ran in the 70's. When you had one of those running crappy you could fake it out by messing with the coolant temp sensor. It was a long time ago but I think we used to disconnect and the coolant temp sensor and short the wires together on the harness. This would make the brain box think it was very cold which would cause it to give it more fuel. Doing this I was able to take cars that had been towed in and drive them into my stall.

You might try disconnecting the coolant temp and try running the engine. If that doesn't do anything try shorting the two leads together on the harness side of the connector and try it again. See what happens. Who knows, it might at least change how its running.

Another thought.... There's a chance the ignition coil could be getting weak. Basically enough spark to get it to run at idle but not enough to fire the plugs at RPM. Possible ignition module going bad as well.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
By reading and thinking, I'm going to through out there 'it might be the sensor on the cat'.....could be a clogged fuel filter too. I'm interested to know what the out come is.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I'm starting to think Jeff decided to say "not my issue" and took another road trip!

edit: or he is wrapping up the diesel installation!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
I'm starting to think Jeff decided to say "not my issue" and took another road trip!

edit: or he is wrapping up the diesel installation!
Nah, Jeff has bigger and (hopefully) better problems to solve right now. Went ATV riding Sat night with a little lady that I have known for some time and it seems like we made a special connection, so..... Truck will still be here when I find time

Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Nah, Jeff has bigger and (hopefully) better problems to solve right now. Went ATV riding Sat night with a little lady that I have known for some time and it seems like we made a special connection, so..... Truck will still be here when I find time
Well... Alrighty then! Nuff said!

Happy for ya Jeff !

Old 07-31-2012, 05:18 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you Jeff.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Ah yea, sometimes a man is faced with difficult decisions. In this case the decision wouldn't be that tough. I mean on one hand you have a decrepit old Ford truck that is just lying in wait looking for any opportunity to make you bleed and cuss and on the other hand you have a chance to take the ATV out AND get to make the aquaintence of a shiny young darling.

Heck, there is no decision, to heck with that old Ford. It will still be not running when you are ready to get back to it.

Glad you having fun!
Bobby

Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya. That's the Jeff I met.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the timing is wrong...(pun intended..) but since it's an old truck, check all the vacume lines for leaks, especially the one for the map sensor.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Sorry to be so long getting back guys, just been having too much fun with the little lady
I finally had a minute to look at the truck again today, can't find any major vacuum leaks, dist cap looks good, as do the wires and plugs. Tried a different coil with no change. When I removed the vacuum line from the MAP sensor, it will attempt to idle, but still die if the accelerator is not being moved.
Any and all ideas are appreciated

Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Sorry to be so long getting back guys, just been having too much fun with the little lady
I finally had a minute to look at the truck again today, can't find any major vacuum leaks, dist cap looks good, as do the wires and plugs. Tried a different coil with no change. When I removed the vacuum line from the MAP sensor, it will attempt to idle, but still die if the accelerator is not being moved.
Any and all ideas are appreciated
Forget the truck and work on the lady friend.. thats my suggestion!

Quick Reply: OT: I should know better