1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI or RDS Auxillary Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mileage to Empty

Originally Posted by Firekite
The computer knows you're using fuel, so it's ticking down. You'd need to have the dealership reflash it to represent the new overall capacity between both tanks.
Thanks for your response. Why would the analog dash mounted fuel guage still display a full tank and the mileage to empty display a decreasing number? Initially the mileage to empty display stayed at about 405 miles which is full, then shortly thereafter started to decrease in number. I thought the two guages used the same sensors.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAgent007
Why would the analog dash mounted fuel guage still display a full tank and the mileage to empty display a decreasing number?
The computer knows you're using fuel, so it's ticking down. It doesn't know that you have a source of fuel that's magically keeping the tank topped off, nor is it programmed to handle that kind of oddball scenario. Because the secondary tank is keeping the primary tank full, though, it's not a setup that will be easily handled even if the dealership does flash it. Because how will the truck know whether the tank is topped off? It doesn't. It can only know that the float is at the top position, whether you have just a little left in the aux tank or it's topped off.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 PM
brwolfjr
Elder User
Mr agent

Any update on the tank?
What model did you get if it holds 45 or did you go custom?
I am thinking about ordering an ATI this week or next.

Thanks Ben

Old 10-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a note on how my '09 handles the RDS tank volume...I normally fill the truck tank first, then the bed tank. It gravity feeds the truck tank. The first DTE shown after a fillup of the truck tank is based on what the average mpg was before the fillup. I have seen as high as 614 DTE after filling, but normally it is around 490-520. Then I just start driving--if solo, the bed tank will keep the truck tank at full; if towing my 17k fiver, the bed tank will keep up until it drops to about 1/2, then there isn't enough head pressure to overcome the lack of venting. When towing, at a restroom stop, I have to remember to loosen the cap on the bed tank to allow air in. The bed tank will catchup the truck tank during overnight stops. I can easily make it 700 miles before thinking about more fuel. The DTE will vary during each days driving--usually going down slowly, certainly more slowly than it should at 9mpg. It resets just about any time I shut off the ignition, but also does it sometimes when driving.
I have found it very easy to get used to the DTE message, as I know I always have more miles left than it shows.
Once the bed tank runs out, then the truck tank DTE becomes very accurate.
I have never seen fuel at the filler neck from the gravity feed, but have had 2 spills--both times I forgot to replace the truck fuel cap before starting to fill the bed tank.
This is the RDS 60gal tank/tool box and is in my second truck--over 200000 miles using the tank. Has paid for itself many times over as I consistently can find fuel with GasBuddy.com at normally 20cents less than looking at the signs--best I have done is 67cents, if I remember correctly.
My '07 350 would occasionally throw a CEL light, but the '09 never has.
Joe

Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 PM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Thanks

Thanks Joe! Great information to know.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 PM
MrAgent007
Senior User
FYI!

Originally Posted by brwolfjr
Mr agent

Any update on the tank?
What model did you get if it holds 45 or did you go custom?
I am thinking about ordering an ATI this week or next.

Thanks Ben
Thanks for the reminder! I went with the 44 gallon ATI. I originally purchased and installed on my 2012 F350 Lariat. I since transferred to my 2013 F350 KR. Pictures are of the KR installation. The customer service from the ATI guys are first class and I am really impressed with their tank welds and overall product quality. Removal from the Lariat took less than 30 minutes and the installation on the KR took just less than an hour. The ATI installations are very clean. I hope the pictures help. Give the ATI guys a call to answer any concerns you might have. I believe after you talk to them, you will want to buy their product. Ask for Robert. When your installation is completed, please post pictures of the finished product. Have fun!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM
brwolfjr
Elder User
Thanks for the pics.
Is your truck a long or short bed.
I am a little nervous about loosing too much bed space.
I currently have a back rack and a 20" weatherguard box. The box actually takes up 23 inches because of the lid swinging up. So, I was thinking a 9" tank would only take up an extra 6 inches of bed. Another thought was to look into a 7 or 8 x 60 x 18 and have another inch slip under the front bed lip. It should still be 40 gallons or so and I would only be loosing 3 or 4 inches. Sorry for the ramble.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 PM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Originally Posted by brwolfjr
Thanks for the pics.
Is your truck a long or short bed.
I am a little nervous about loosing too much bed space.
I currently have a back rack and a 20" weatherguard box. The box actually takes up 23 inches because of the lid swinging up. So, I was thinking a 9" tank would only take up an extra 6 inches of bed. Another thought was to look into a 7 or 8 x 60 x 18 and have another inch slip under the front bed lip. It should still be 40 gallons or so and I would only be loosing 3 or 4 inches. Sorry for the ramble.
No ramble at all, It's good background info. Before I decided to do what I did, I had similar thoughts and spent hours trying to figure out "what I actually needed" bed space wise. I came to the conclusion that I did not really need that much bed space since I bought this truck to primarily pull an RV and not a work truck. All I need the remaining bed space for is the generator (which I have a bed floor mount for), fuel cans (which I have a bed floor mount for) and chairs.

This truck is a short bed.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM
brwolfjr
Elder User
Biggest thing is I will need to make sure I can get a 48" pallet on.
I am also not afraid of pulling the tool box off for the occasional moving of furniture or what not.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Gobblin Tom
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 89LX306
I have the RDS 60 gallon tank/toolbox combo in my short bed. I love it! I plumbed it into the factory fill line and put a fuel pump on a switch in the cab. I can now refuel cruising down the highway. I tow a 5th wheel, so I wanted a tank that sat below the bed rails, had a small tool box for random junk and 60 extra gallons was more than enough. Let me know if you want any pics of it.
I was looking at the tool box combo from RDS, when I measured the bed it starts to taper at 54" I basically have the same truck as you do... Did you have any problems getting it to sit flat? I just want to do a gravity feed...

Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Hello, Tom, because the ATI tanks are aluminum diamond plate, I have a 3/4" piece of rubber that I purchased and had cut to fit the bottom of the tank. The tank is level and I mounted it exactly on center in the bed. The ends terminate at the same place on both sides which is just outside of the frame rail. That is where I went through the floor with the bolts. I used aluminum plates below to spread out the forces over a greater area to keep anything from coming through the bed floor. The 3/4" rubber mat was also used to keep the diamond plate from rubbing through the rhino lining.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Gobblin Tom
Freshman User
Hello, Tom, because the ATI tanks are aluminum diamond plate, I have a 3/4" piece of rubber that I purchased and had cut to fit the bottom of the tank. The tank is level and I mounted it exactly on center in the bed. The ends terminate at the same place on both sides which is just outside of the frame rail. That is where I went through the floor with the bolts. I used aluminum plates below to spread out the forces over a greater area to keep anything from coming through the bed floor. The 3/4" rubber mat was also used to keep the diamond plate from rubbing through the rhino lining.
Do you have the tool box version / 65 gallon? I am looking at the ATI also but they are a few hundred dollars more than the RDS model... Did you use spacers for the front and back for mounting tabs because of the rubber piece? I have a buddy that can get me used conveyer belt...Also noticed on the ATI that it looks like the drain comes out the back instead of the side? Not sure if I am crazy about that...

Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
MrAgent007
Senior User
Pictures

Originally Posted by Gobblin Tom
Do you have the tool box version / 65 gallon? I am looking at the ATI also but they are a few hundred dollars more than the RDS model... Did you use spacers for the front and back for mounting tabs because of the rubber piece? I have a buddy that can get me used conveyer belt...Also noticed on the ATI that it looks like the drain comes out the back instead of the side? Not sure if I am crazy about that...
Hello Tom, when you can, take a look at the pictures in this thread that I had posted on 10-13-13. It displays the installation of my separate ATI rectangular tank and weatherguard tool box. The tank valve is connected to the fuel fill T by a 3/8" hose to this tank valve that is located on the truck's fuel fill side at the bottom of the ATI tank. My tank capacity is approximately 43 gallons and I had purchased it from a new tank vender on eBay. I found the ATI tank to be much less expensive than the others and to me the ATI tank construction quality including the welds looked much superior. I purchased my rubber sheet from a company named Rubber Sheet Roll that is located in Shippensburg, PA, 717-530-1612. They sell all types of rubber and will custom cut what you purchase. The tank is held to the bed floor by 2 bolts, one on each side through the tank mounting tabs. I used all stainless steel installation components. The bolts are 5/8" which are 1/8" bigger than what ATI recommended and I used a large washer above the tank mounting tab and a 3" square aluminum plate below the bed floor to better distribute the forces and to offer a more secure bed floor mount.

I just don't like the combo tank/toolbox assemblies and you can see from the pictures what I did instead. I purchased the low profile Weatherguard toolbox and I am very pleased with it. The reason low profile is to avoid the bottom of the box coming into contact with the top of the wheel wells located in the bed.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Gobblin Tom
Freshman User
Hello Tom, when you can, take a look at the pictures in this thread that I had posted on 10-13-13. It displays the installation of my separate ATI rectangular tank and weatherguard tool box. The tank valve is connected to the fuel fill T by a 3/8" hose this tank valve is located on the truck's fuel fill side at the bottom of the ATI tank. My tank capacity is approximately 43 gallons and I had purchased it from a new tank vender on eBay. I found the ATI tank to be much less expensive than the others and to me the ATI tank construction quality including the welds looked much superior. I purchased my rubber sheet from a company named Rubber Sheet Roll that is located in Shippensburg, PA, 717-530-1612. They sell all types of rubber and will custom cut what you purchase. The tank is held to the bed floor by 2 bolts, one on each side through the tank mounting tabs. I used all stainless steel installation components. The bolts are 5/8" which are 1/8" bigger than what ATI recommended and I used a large washer above the tank mounting tab and a 3" square aluminum plate below the bed floor to better distribute the forces and to offer a more secure bed floor mount.

I just don't like the combo tank/toolbox assemblies and you can see from the pictures what I did instead. I purchased the low profile Weatherguard toolbox and I am very pleased with it. The reason low profile is to avoid the bottom of the box coming into contact with the top of the wheel wells located in the bed.
Will that set up work with a gooseneck? I was actually looking for a 60-80 gallon tank... That's what the company suggested I get...

Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gobblin Tom
I was looking at the tool box combo from RDS, when I measured the bed it starts to taper at 54" I basically have the same truck as you do... Did you have any problems getting it to sit flat? I just want to do a gravity feed...

Tom, I actually replied in your other thread. I did have to bend the mounting tabs up at an angle. But that is all it took to get it to sit flat on the bed. I'll get the part number off my tank this weekend for you. I was planning on installing it in the new truck this weekend anyway.

Quick Reply: ATI or RDS Auxillary Tank?