1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

is it worth selling? Or do I just keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 PM
evobuilder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it worth selling? Or do I just keep it?

I have a 56 F100 with a ton of work into it.... older 390, new C6 with shift kit, new disc/drum brakes and exhaust, newer custom interior from 60s GM, mini tubs, *" rear with 3.55 gears and spool rear end, tons of new stuff including, shiny paint, but fair body condition overall, everything works (Dolphin gauges signals, gas gauge, heater, defroster, wipers, etc....
its a daily driver.... I drive to work every day with no issues.

I want 20K for it.... is it worth that? I just don't know and wanted to see what the community thought about it before I stuck it in the classifieds/ebay.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...03B48EA93!1109

Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 AM
95stepside
Elder User

Price is a bit steep IMO, but the truck looks great

Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Very nice looking truck. I would agree that the price is a bit too high. But, the market is funny you tend to see a wide range of prices for these trucks. The market is the the best at this time, so finding a buyer will be more difficult.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Nice looking truck. I was noticing that bill of sale in your picture gallery. Tell us what improvements/modifications you have done since you paid $7000 for it in March of this year. I would just advertise it for whatever I wanted and see what happens.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He may not have actually paid $7000 for it. Because Washington will tax the sale, many buyers and sellers agree on a price to report that is lower than the actual price. Washington is countering this by taxing what they consider the value of the vehicle is rather than the reported sale price. So if you buy a junk truck you may have to jump through some hoops to prove it really isn't worth a restored one.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by South of BC
He may not have actually paid $7000 for it. Because Washington will tax the sale, many buyers and sellers agree on a price to report that is lower than the actual price. Washington is countering this by taxing what they consider the value of the vehicle is rather than the reported sale price. So if you buy a junk truck you may have to jump through some hoops to prove it really isn't worth a restored one.
Yeah, I am aware of the game. It's played everywhere.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
It may be "Worth" 20K but don't expect to get it unless there is a "Has to have" out there

Old 07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by South of BC
Or, then again .....https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11805203

I'm sorry, but after reading all the problems he seems to have had with this truck in the short time he has had it, it really sounds like the $7k mark is too high.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Could always try it and see.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:12 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Curious what the appraiser said it was worth?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
In this part of the country a truck like that may pull $10K but not anything close to 20. Someone standing on the curb watching this truck pass by may be impressed, the paint looks good and the truck has a nice stance...however, the inside of the bed is ragged and the interior dated. The truck has some high points but a prospective buyer is going to weigh those against the warts before opening his wallet.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Like most, I watch the classifieds like a hawk for F100 stuff...and I would tend to agree that that truck probably wouldn't sell for anywhere near 20k. It's a great looking truck! I would love to have it...but down south, seems like 20k is going to get you much more of a "show truck" these days....

Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 AM
evobuilder
Freshman User
thanks for the advice

I did not pay 7 (I wish I had) and to whoever pointed out all my issues... who doesn't have issues when they buy anything old? Have you ever asked a friend of the community at large for advice? WTH? Do all your posts knock people down? Anyway.... I have about 4g into the truck since I bought and now I am driving daily and love the truck and no mechanical issues (including the brakes which was a real bitch to get sorted out). I was thinking about selling for another street rod, but have decided against it. I did get an offer locally of 14,800 but decided against it. That is probably a really good offer, but since I decided I don't want to sell, I just let the guy know.

It was a great exercise to post for advice and I am glad I did, just made me realize that I really don't want to sell. I am sure that will change someday, but for now, I am working on it every weekend and enjoying the hell out of it.

See you on the road!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by evobuilder
but for now, I am working on it every weekend and enjoying the hell out of it.

See you on the road!
I'm glad you have decided to keep it. Frankly in the current market, anyone with a nice truck probably needs to hold onto it for a while.

I did not pay 7 (I wish I had) and to whoever pointed out all my issues... who doesn't have issues when they buy anything old? Have you ever asked a friend of the community at large for advice? WTH? Do all your posts knock people down?
I didn't see anyone knocking people down. You asked if we thought it was worth 20k. When you ask a question like that you are asking for what is wrong with the truck. If someone doesn't think it's worth that, they would be remiss in not telling you why.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
I did not pay 7 (I wish I had) and to whoever pointed out all my issues... who doesn't have issues when they buy anything old? Have you ever asked a friend of the community at large for advice? WTH? Do all your posts knock people down? Anyway.... I have about 4g into the truck since I bought and now I am driving daily and love the truck and no mechanical issues (including the brakes which was a real bitch to get sorted out). I was thinking about selling for another street rod, but have decided against it. I did get an offer locally of 14,800 but decided against it. That is probably a really good offer, but since I decided I don't want to sell, I just let the guy know.

It was a great exercise to post for advice and I am glad I did, just made me realize that I really don't want to sell. I am sure that will change someday, but for now, I am working on it every weekend and enjoying the hell out of it.

See you on the road!
With all due respect, you asked us if the truck was worth $20K, which was your stated asking price. You also presented us with a link to a bunch of pictures, one of which was a bill of sale that clearly shows you "recorded" a selling price of $7000 back in March. So that created a $13K difference over the course of 4 months. Now you say you didn't pay $7K for it (that's between you and your state). What did you expect us to say? Harley is a valued member of this forum. We all trust his opinion along with many others. In our eyes, we would be doing you even more in-justice if we said "looks good" and nothing else.

I'm glad you're keeping your truck. And I hope you do indeed enjoy the hell out of it. But understand if you ask our opinion and say you think it's worth $20K, we are gonna be looking for a mint condition show truck.

Quick Reply: is it worth selling? Or do I just keep it?