1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rant: CPP is wasting my time

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:34 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rant: CPP is wasting my time

I have to get something off my chest. I recently have had a need to order some special parts for my projects. I normally purchase my F100/F250 needs from Mid-50, Macs, LMC, etc. This time around I decided to go straight to the producer, Classic Performance Parts (CPP) and order a few items. Boy was that a mistake. While their products are top notch, their customer service and order processing just plain sucks. It took me over 15 minutes on hold 2 different times to get a clarification of just what was included if I purchased a certain part. I even emailed them once and it took 4 days for a reply. Once I placed my order, it took them 5 business days to actually put the part in a box and ask UPS to come pick it up and then charged me top dollar for the ground shipping because apparently you have to have lots of extra air space in the box. If this was a one time thing, so be it but this is my 4th order in 2 months and all 4 times it took forever to get answers and to get the parts out the door. Has anyone else experienced this problem with CPP? Is it too much to ask that I pay for a product and expect it to ship out the next business day? I can understand if a product is on backorder but these items were in stock. Also, when you place an order online they give you "an estimated shipping cost". My last estimate was $11.81 for shipping. My ACTUAL shipping cost was $21. Nice little shocker for a 2 lb. part. These companies that use UPS really don't seem to care that shipping costs are all over the place. At least Mid-50 will ship USPS flat rate if you ask. Maybe it's time to stop doing business with CPP. We now return to our regularly schedule broadcast.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I have no specific knowledge or relationship with CPP, but I do have some generalized knowledge of aftermarket parts manufacturing business and business dealings in general, so here are my thoughts: Many retail customers are used to dealing with mega retailers like amazon etc, who are often drop shippers as well.
Most aftermarket manufacturers are actually very small low volume operations, their volume isn't high enough to employ a lot of people in specialized positions or have "departments". Their entire operation may consist of a garage with a couple people wearing whatever "hat" is needed at that moment, the person answering the phone is likely to be whoever was closest to it or didn't have something in their hands at the time. They deal primarily with distributors rather than retail customers. I know a local high performance chassis parts manufacturer and installer for a different brand of vehicles. His parts assembly and installation shop is a 2 car sized rental space in a repair and storage facility, His "warehouse" is his home 1 car garage (shared with the family sedan and typical family collection), and most of his machining and plasma cutting is done using the equipment at a local membership DIY co-op.
Boxes are expensive and bulky to storeand you have to buy them in fairly large quantities to get them at a realistic price, so they have to buy as few different sizes as necessary to cover the majority of their inventory (again they are not usually shipping a single piece to a distributor) and shipping prices are changing wildly with varying fuel surcharges being added and adjusted almost daily. The manufacturer would need to pack the order, measure and weigh it, then consult a many paged spread sheet of shipping options (that are out of date the minute they are printed) to give an even reasonably close estimate of shipping charges, but we demand that quote immediately while we wait on the phone. Then the package(s) have to wait until there are enough to warrant a pick up call (the shippers charge per pickup not the quantity of packages per pickup) or someone is available to go to the shipping depot (who also gets paid for his time in the cost of shipping...). When you take a business out of it normal element (selling to a retail vs wholesale customer) demand instant gratification (over the phone shipping quotes, expedited low cost shipping, always in stock inventory) you are either not going to get the personalized service you expect or get charged for that service.
Also these same manufacturers are people just like you and I who have personal lives, even other jobs and responsibilities and may be technophobes who have an online presence because it is required today. They have other things to do besides read and answer emails all day long and/or even hate or fear sitting down at a computer. A large percentage of us are "connected to the internet", but a large percent of those people are not completely comfortable with using a computer. Business owners are included in this typical demographic. Some are great at designing and building parts, but would rather get a root canal than turn on a computer. It's still a whole lot better than it was 20 years ago when you had to scan a dozen or more catalogs or find out about a product by word of mouth, hand write a letter with a pen and paper, and/or send a check to order something, then sit back and wait for a response or package in the mail several weeks later. Most of us OFs remember catalog order forms stating allow 2 weeks (or even 30 days) for order processing and delivery.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:13 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Looks like a pretty big operation to me...
CPP Story

Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
gsato55
Senior User
I've ordered from CPP and had the same problem. I've since started ordering from Mid Fifties and I even get a call to inform me that My order was shipped. Stick with the good customer service folks.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Ax, I agree with most of what you said, however... I too am a small business owner and try to have a life outside of the job. When I get a phone call or email from a customer during normal business hours, it is my goal to make sure I give that person my attention. That $4 sale may end up turning into a lifelong customer. 99% of the vendors I deal with like Mid-50, LMC, Lane Automotive, Macs, Summit, Jegs, etc. bust their butts to get the product out the door in a reasonable amount of time. I am grateful that they do. I too remember the days of mailing in an order form and waiting and waiting and waiting. With the advent of the internet, my business and other businesses have had to either adapt or fail. That's just the nature of the beast. Having said that, I realize things happen, things get delayed, etc. I only bring up my displeasure with CPP because I see a pattern with them. My post is not meant to bash them or any other vendors. My post was to vent some steam about a business that takes pride in their product and seems to care less about their customer service. Maybe my situation is isolated and I welcome anyone that has dealt with them and loves them to speak up and put my mind at ease. Sadly, whether you are a mom and pop shop or a mega box store, today's market is about getting it out the door fast and without headache. Many of the aftermarket vendors do that without complaints from me. Just my .02.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
OK! with 42 enployees there is NO EXCUSE for poor service! To quote a famous movie line: "Bailiff, wack his p****!!"

Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
KP Bob
Junior User
The hot rod shop I buy parts from have complained about them many times as well.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM
jm ray
Senior User
OUT OF ALL THE ORDERS I HAVE PLACED BUILDING MY TRUCK,I WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH MID-FIFTYS . NICE FOLKS DOING IT RIGHT...GO GIRLS

Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
I'm very old school when it comes to expecting customer service. I fortunately learned early on in my working career (started out in retail - department store) the value of giving good customer service. I've always acted as if the company I work for is my company. Customer service in my opinion is a skill that is being lost quickly. I see it every day in my workplace. So... Please oh please good FTE members patronize those businesses that work hard on customer service... even if you have to pay a little more. Reward those companies that make the extra effort!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I think it's due a lot to the fact that retailers and the customers are further and further apart, and customers are heavily price driven. If the business has to keep chopping their profit margin to compete they cannot afford to pay for top employees and have them spend their time providing "free" customer service. Fact of life is a lot of the time the "customer" will go to the business that provides the service to get answers and information, then buy from their competitor that sells the product for a buck cheaper. How many posts have I seen on here that starts: where's the cheapest place to buy XYZ?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
.... Fact of life is a lot of the time the "customer" will go to the business that provides the service to get answers and information, then buy from their competitor that sells the product for a buck cheaper. How many posts have I seen on here that starts: where's the cheapest place to buy XYZ?
EXACTLY!! They also look over the merchandise at a brick and mortar store, then buy on-line, no tax. Is it any wonder local shops are dying off??

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I also hate the ordering side of CPP.. only time it has been easy is when I buy thru their EBAY store..

but the service side seems much more responsive..

I have one of the MCPV master cylinders in the red truck, and u remove the front metering valve with 4wheel disc. but I couldn't get it to stop dripping after.

called their service dept and they sent 2 seals and a replacement prop valve too.. no charge, lifetime warranty..

Sam

Old 07-15-2012, 09:21 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
EXACTLY!! They also look over the merchandise at a brick and mortar store, then buy on-line, no tax. Is it any wonder local shops are dying off??
Or are becoming museums. Pretty soon they will have to start charging admission to stay open.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not sticking up for CPP or anything else... but 42 employees isn't that many when their all have the different departments of a company. Most of their employees are probably Machinists and assemblers... Ordering/Customer service is maybe 2 or 3 people and shipping is probably the same... But I wish they had better service and shipping...

Old 07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
where the real problem is.

Originally Posted by Moe Craig
I'm not sticking up for CPP or anything else... but 42 employees isn't that many when their all have the different departments of a company. Most of their employees are probably Machinists and assemblers... Ordering/Customer service is maybe 2 or 3 people and shipping is probably the same... But I wish they had better service and shipping...
A judge I worked with would tell the defendants.Fool me once same on you,Fool me twice same on me. If you had problems with CPP once, ok try again.But 4 times ? You need to take some blame for going back.You said you usually deal with Mid-Fifty.Why would you go anywhere else?

Quick Reply: Rant: CPP is wasting my time