1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bad news, GF said truck has to go....(not a good day)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 tonner
Just out of curiosity, how many of those giving advice on GF vs. truck have gone through a divorce? We should probably stick to giving advice on trucks. By the way, I have been laughing as I've read them.
I have, and kept the truck. The truck doesn't nag or run up my credit cards without me knowing about it, or give me a heart attack. I could have bought 6 trucks with what she cost me.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
I have, and kept the truck. The truck doesn't nag or run up my credit cards without me knowing about it, or give me a heart attack. I could have bought 6 trucks with what she cost me.
Women think they really stick it to us. What they don't realize is getting rid of her is worth every penny we spend doing it in our eyes.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would never have to choose between my wife or my truck, because my wife and I always make decisions together, and one would never make an ultimaden to the other, But girlfriend??? If your making life decisions together, why not get married? Boy are we off topic or what, he just wants to know the value of his truck. Im not the one with buy and sell expeierence but, depending on where you live, and from what I can see in the pics around 10k seems fair?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The truck will still be worth what it is today tomorrow, not like a house. Unless you have a hot-rod of a truck, you're not going to get anything worth while from it to help towards a house. But why not have it just wait? Most of us have projects that are waiting. It's a dream to have and will mean much more to you down the road than another one like it.

None of us know you or your situation any farther than what you've posted here, so we must fill the blanks with our experiences. If you want my opinion based off all of that, for all that is good and holy, wait on selling that truck. You can't unsell it. And you'll find in the years to come having a truck you had when you where younger has much more meaning to you than a new project. The amount needed for a house is much more than you can get from your truck. It's sorta like selling your sunglasses to buy a new car. Even if you have $500 sunglasses, it's not going to put much of a dent in the cost of a new car, but when you have your new car, aren't you going to miss your sunglasses? I guess what I'm saying is picture the life you want, if your F1 is in it restored sitting in the garage of your new house, then don't sell it because you'll regret it. Money comes and money goes, but such things we only have so much time with. And if you really want my opinion, you said you where 18, you're about to have a whole lot of things change in your life. It wasn't that long ago for me, you hit about 20 and your tastes change, you grow in a way that can't really be expressed, but life is very different to say the least. Life is about to seriously evolve into something much cooler everyday.

If that truck has any meaning at all to you now, any what so ever other than just a scrap pile of metal, keep it. Or regret it, one way or another. Don't sell a dream for another one. You'll find you'll forget about the money you got for it, and you'll only remember that it's gone, the dream will remain but there will be no way to achieve it how it could have been. Another truck isn't the same as one from your youth, just ask the guys who rebuilt their dad's truck. All of this is assuming it has a real meaning to you. Money comes and money goes, you'll remember none of it. But you will remember when a dream leaves you because often you'll spend the rest of your life trying to get it back exactly how it once was.

Keep the truck. Keep your other truck. Worse case rent an apartment for a little bit, at 18 a house is a bit unheard of, there isn't really any benefit of one over an apartment unless you're married with kids, but there are a lot more expenses to it. In a year you won't remember much about the difference of an apartment verse a house, in two you won't remember anything of it, and in 10 it will just be a same notion of a story you tell of how you still have your truck.

That's just my opinion, I don't know your situation, but no one sells one of these old trucks that doesn't regret it one way or another. They aren't just trucks, they're drivable memories and dreams, it's why we put so much work into them, why we slave over them ourselves and build them with our own hands. A truck can be bought, a dream must be built. If it's your dream, don't let it go.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I can honestly say, I gotta stop reading this thread.
Ya'll are bringin' me down! LOL
I think this is the first!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:34 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, what I missed here, and I'm sure the other guys did was the fact that you started this post the DAY AFTER you bought the truck. With that in mind you obviously have no attachment for this truck at all. My best advise is to advertise the truck for sale at about $6K and sell it quickly to the first person that really wants an F1, for whatever the best offer you get over the $4700 you paid for it a few days ago.
Thinking about selling the day after you bought it because your GF said so really shows that this was an impulse buy, and with that in mind you may have overpaid for the truck as you most likely did not know what to look for when inspecting a 61 year old truck.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 53 tonner
Just out of curiosity, how many of those giving advice on GF vs. truck have gone through a divorce? We should probably stick to giving advice on trucks. By the way, I have been laughing as I've read them.
Several - And in everyone there was an ultimatum - I have never once said that I was gonna miss my Truck/Fishing/Running with the dogs/etc

Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 AM
bk53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard to say without good pics.

try to get what you paid for it at least. clean it up, drive it around. enjoy it while you can.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Frostbitten
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well guys..here is the deal.....I worked out a way to keep the truck for a while

but.....(turning this into a tech thread now)

Went to start it today.....and nothing....the starter is spinning, but the motor is not turning over?

I use to have this with old farmall tractors back in the day

All i did then was tap the starter with a hammer and it would work fine

Tried that with the truck and i get nothing. Im assuming the starter is underneath the passenger seat? maybe im tapping the wrong thing

any other ideas what it could be? where do i find a starter? (truck is 12v converted)

Old 06-30-2012, 08:07 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DR Smith
I think you should look online first.Places like match.com,could give you the best information on what it would be like to get a new girl.There are more girls out there than F1s.
Perfect solution! My first was similar and I tried to wait it out. I wasted quiet a few years with her. You have to pay attention to those red flags!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:16 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
OK, what I missed here, and I'm sure the other guys did was the fact that you started this post the DAY AFTER you bought the truck. With that in mind you obviously have no attachment for this truck at all. My best advise is to advertise the truck for sale at about $6K and sell it quickly to the first person that really wants an F1, for whatever the best offer you get over the $4700 you paid for it a few days ago.
Thinking about selling the day after you bought it because your GF said so really shows that this was an impulse buy, and with that in mind you may have overpaid for the truck as you most likely did not know what to look for when inspecting a 61 year old truck.
I didn't miss it Joe. In his first post he said he a "Dodge guy, anything and everything Mopar". By his second post he was wondering if he got a good deal, and by the third he informed us of the price he paid and mentioned the possibility of selling it before the girlfriend chimed in. So he has no emotional attachment to it, unlike his Dodge which he stated it would be buried with him. At any rate, it's made me wonder if he really was just trolling for a value or a buyer.

But you raise a point I hadn't thought of. The only pics are of the exterior taken inside a building. We have no idea of what the engine compartment looks like, the interior, or the undercarriage of this Michigan truck looks like. I posted a link to a 1955 Ford for sale by a Texas dealer the other day. I didn't really look closely at that one, but the other truck I was looking at appeared to be a rough truck that had a fresh coat of paint over it to make it look good from a distance. They really should have left the close up of the dash out of the mix!

It seems I'm wrong, Frostbitten posted while I was typing that he is keeping the truck, well at least for now.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:00 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by South of BC
...At any rate, it's made me wonder if he really was just trolling for a value or a buyer...
I was having similar thoughts. Bought it with great plans of flipping it for "big bucks" profit. Being only 18 thinking all men fold to a woman's whim that being the line of approach. In any case no matter what the real story & I will assume he is telling the truth I think he will find himself very disappointed if he thinks flipping Ford trucks will earn him anything other than loss. They are a labor of love.

I would imagine the OP has far more money into the Dodge he "restored" than it is worth. The only people I see willing to pay outrageous prices for what anyone else would call junk is Chevrolet lovers. I know a guy with a '68 SWB stepside he wants to sell for $1000. All it needs is a complete body (less the roof), the chassis gone completely through, all new wiring, an interior, wheels & tires & drive train rebuild. Sad part is somebody will buy it & even sadder is he paid $2000 (so he says but I don't see him being that dumb) for it. It wouldn't even make a good parts truck.

Put a starter in the truck.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
I've been wading through all this for a couple days and enjoying it. Just a bit of common sense comes to mind that no one's mentioned is that if the o/p bought the truck locally from local ads, ie; craigslist, newspaper, etc., everyone else in his marketplace who was looking for a truck like that saw the same ads and would have had an opportunity for the same deal. If he reposts the truck for sale 2 days later for twice the money, or even $1000 more than the deal he got, no one is going to bite on it, period. He'll be lucky to break even on it. What's it worth? Whatever someone will pay for it at any particular day and time. If it was "worth" $4700 2 days ago, there's no guarantee it'll be worth that today. It may be only a $3500 truck and he overpaid for it. From the teeny-weeny pictures shared, we certainly don't have enough info to make an informed guesstimate. Only the market can tell. And that's the beauty of a free market society.

One of the best pieces of advice any 'old person' ever gave me when I was 18, over 30 years ago, was that if a woman ever gives you an ultimatum like "It's me or the car" (or insert any item you have a passion about), choose the car. It's not likely she'll be around long, anyway, and then you'll have neither. Life is always easier if you have a partner who shares (or at least understands and can put up with) your most important interests and dreams.

All that said, I agree with the others in that it appears there's quite possibly other underlying issues here, and none of this matters.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I've been wading through all this for a couple days and enjoying it. Just a bit of common sense comes to mind that no one's mentioned is that if the o/p bought the truck locally from local ads, ie; craigslist, newspaper, etc., everyone else in his marketplace who was looking for a truck like that saw the same ads and would have had an opportunity for the same deal. If he reposts the truck for sale 2 days later for twice the money, or even $1000 more than the deal he got, no one is going to bite on it, period. He'll be lucky to break even on it. What's it worth? Whatever someone will pay for it at any particular day and time. If it was "worth" $4700 2 days ago, there's no guarantee it'll be worth that today. It may be only a $3500 truck and he overpaid for it. From the teeny-weeny pictures shared, we certainly don't have enough info to make an informed guesstimate. Only the market can tell. And that's the beauty of a free market society.

" 'One of the best pieces of advice any 'old person' ever gave me when I was 18, over 30 years ago, was that if a woman ever gives you an ultimatum like "It's me or the car" (or insert any item you have a passion about), choose the car. It's not likely she'll be around long, anyway, and then you'll have neither. Life is always easier if you have a partner who shares (or at least understands and can put up with) your most important interests and dreams." '

All that said, I agree with the others in that it appears there's quite possibly other underlying issues here, and none of this matters.
That is great advise....I wish I would have been told that when I built My Cobra 30 years ago...my ex is demanding that I sell it and give her half even after being divorced 12 years. Oh yeah, she sneaked that into the divorce settlement, her and her crooked female divorce lawyer. I'm really considering taking the parts off it that I paid for with my own money and then dropping it off in her (my old) drive way with the signed transfer papers. Take that "#%&ch".

I truly apologise for the hyjack.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Sell the Cobra to a trusted friend for a low price. After the settlement your mate can sell it back to you. Too bad your other truck isn't a '52 Chevy, I'd volunteer to be a "trusted" friend on that one!

Quick Reply: Bad news, GF said truck has to go....(not a good day)