Sponsored by: Moser

Cleaning wheels/grille aka: "Plastichrome"

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:04 AM
nnero
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning wheels/grille aka: "Plastichrome"

I was wondering how others clean their chorme clad wheels and grille. It seems as if the brake dust on my wheels turned "sticky". It will come off a little with my fingernail but no cleaner I try does a thing. I am worried about scratching the wheels by being too aggressive scrubing and/or using a damaging cleaner. Would a very fine abrasive like Mothers work? Feel free to add any other cleaing/washing/polishing questions or comments. Thanks

Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A rag and Mother's polish works. When I'm feeling lazy, I use some Meguiar's spray on cleaner and a rag - takes it right off. A Powerball in a drill is another good option.

Waxing the wheels will prevent the brake dust from sticking so badly.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I have also had good results using Eagle 1 all wheel cleaner and a nylon scrub brush that you use for scrubbing hands.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mothers powerball is a great tool for the stubborn stuff. I follow a wash with 3M's "Quickwax" spray on liquid wax and it really helps keep the dust at bay.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 PM
lakerunner
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I use Meguiar's chrome wheel cleaner and a soft brush when really dirty, otherwise I use my brush and the tire cleaner at the car wash.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,233 Likes on 809 Posts
I use what ever wheel cleaner is cheapest, a brush for the tires and a terry cloth for the wheels, chrome and steps.

The only brand that I'm stuck on is the ICE spray wax from Turtle wax. Some amazing stuff right there.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:49 AM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Just tried WD-40 on my wheels and it worked outstanding....took the brake dust right off with very little scrubbing involved. Worked way better than the wheel cleaners I tried to get all the brake dust off with. Read about it on a bass boat forum.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Most of the new wheels today have a clear coat on them. Think of them as the same clear coat that is of your paint. I would also treat them in the same respect. Cleaning them with soapy water and a rag....and then sealing them with a paint sealant will help keep the brake dust from sticking to the rims. If the rims are faded bad using some polish will buff them back to a shine and then you can seal them to protect them from the elements. (especially brake dust from sticking to them like glue)

If you use an abrasive cleaner you will scratch the clear coat and that will make the rims look worse over time. Ever since I got into my detailing hobby I learned about all this stuff I never had thought about before. Here is a product that can be used to seal the rims etc. I am not affiliated with them in any way...just know it is a good product...along with a lot of their other products.

Adam's Polishes - Adam's Quick Sealant

There is also a video for its use. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Most of the new wheels today have a clear coat on them.
Most of them do. But the OP's chrome clad wheels do not.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:20 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
PlastX works great on chrome too, but it's actually made for polishing headlight lenses. I found this out by accident one day. I was polishing my headlights and I got some on the grille. When I wiped it off, I noticed how shiny it made the chrome so I did the rest of the grille, bumpers, and wheels with it. Made them shine just like a mirror.

Speaking of which, my truck is due for a good wash, wax, and polishing of everything.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 AM
nnero
Elder User
Thanks for all the replies. I tried some mothers and a cloth and the grime came off instantly. I had tried a nylon brush and wheel cleaner before, but it did nothing. I wasnt worried about clear coat because these chrome clad aluminum not bare. I am just being overly cautious with my first brand new vehicle. Once i finish cleaning them i will put on a coat of spray wax. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Most of them do. But the OP's chrome clad wheels do not.
Hmm so the XLT does not have a clear coat on the rims? They are chrome?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Yes, if he has the chrome wheels. 17" wheels are painted and clear coat.

I wanted 17" rims because of the great tire choices but I live in the "rust belt" and clear coat wheels just don't last, so I got the chrome 18" wheels with my XLT.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old school tag. Good thread.

CMOS

Old 06-30-2012, 08:45 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
Hmm so the XLT does not have a clear coat on the rims? They are chrome?
Some XLTs have aluminum or painted wheels that are clear coated. The chrome clad wheels aren't. They have a chrome plated cover attatched to the wheel. I'm not sure why they do it this way now. My guess is because it is cheaper to chrome plate a cover than it is to dip a whole wheel in chrome.

Quick Reply: Cleaning wheels/grille aka: "Plastichrome"