1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Need some help/guidance on seatbelts / brackets on an 06 econoline

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Bozworth
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help/guidance on seatbelts / brackets on an 06 econoline

Hello all,
I normally hang around with those weirdo's in the old fat-body trucks, but I've got an issue coming up I was hoping some of you might be able to help with.
I bought a bench seat from an 06 Econoline to put in my 54. The guy is going to give me the shoulder belts, but I have to remove them. The thing is, I kinda only have 1 shot to do it, and don't really know what tools I'll need, any tips or tricks to getting them out, and my basic internet searches aren't getting me any decent results on the procedure.

I'm guessing the star wrench is a T50? Are the shoulder belts covered in those plastic dohickey's that have to be pried off? Is the retractable part of the belt behind a panel next to where the seat was? I've never seen the inside of this van, I have about 2 hours to get all the shoulder belts I can.
It's also too far away from my house to go back and get more tools if I need something. I can't do any damage to the interior panels while getting these belts out, or this guy is going to send me on my way without the belts...which will cost me more $$$ to get new belts.

Any help, or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 AM
carrfamilynj
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shoulder belt bolts are indeed T50, there is a rubber cover that needs to be slid down and out of the way to access them,not a big deal. The retractable part is behind the side panel which usually just pops off the clips when you pry on it, just take your time. You'll need the floor brackets too, they have T55 bolts and are a real bugger to remove by hand since the threads are exposed to the weather below the van floor. Your best bet is to first get under the van and spray the T55 floor bracket bolt threads with penetrating spray, then work on the seat belts while it soaks in. Remove the seat by pulling the release straps and lifting/sliding the seat off the mounting brackets. This gives you clear access to remove the side panel and the T55 floor bracket bolts. I had to use my impact wrench on most of them, and a plumber's torch on several just to break them loose. If you need to just use caution since the floor bolts have rubber gaskets on them.