1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gas tank vent required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Gas tank vent required?

When I bought my 54 F100 it was in pieces. It came with a new in-the-box plastic gas tank by "Tanks Inc.". There is a tapping for a tank vent. Is this necessary or do these trucks vent through the cap?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turnrjr
When I bought my 54 F100 it was in pieces. It came with a new in-the-box plastic gas tank by "Tanks Inc.". There is a tapping for a tank vent. Is this necessary or do these trucks vent through the cap?
The stock tanks had a vented cap. I added a vent to my stock 48 tank and used a non-vented cap to cut gas fumes in and around the cab. It's not necessary but I would open the vent and use it.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

It would be easy to plumb a line forward to the engine side of the firewall, then up high on the drivers side. Form a 180 degree loop to face down at the end of the run. Maybe solder a screen on the pipe end. This would get it well above the tank. Any issues with it being in the engine bay?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I ran some fuel hose from my vent on top of the tank through the floor and under the truck. I used a one way valve at the end (a PCV valve) which allowed vapors to escape but no air to enter. I never had any problem with gas in the vent...

Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Where are you mounting the tank? All tanks need a vent somewhere to replace the gas as it is used with air or the gas will soon stop flowing. The OEM tank used a vented cap for that function. If you prefer to use a separate vent, run it so at least a portion of the line is as far above the highest fuel level in the tank as possible, and ends as far to the rear of the passenger compartment as possible to keep gas fumes out of the cab. A one way check valve is a good idea if you park your truck inside. If you use a pvc valve for a check valve, be sure to mount it vertically so the ball seats. Don't use a vented cap with a vent line.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

AX
The tank is a (plastic) copy of the original and mounts in the stock location. Uses the stock filler neck, cap etc. Do you see any issue with the vent located on the firewall high on the drivers side?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I would vent the tank low and away from the cab...behind if possible. IMHO, if you have it under the hood you would probably be more likely to smell the fumes in the cab.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by turnrjr
AX
The tank is a (plastic) copy of the original and mounts in the stock location. Uses the stock filler neck, cap etc. Do you see any issue with the vent located on the firewall high on the drivers side?
Why bring it up there when the tank is under the cab? Fumes can be sucked into the cab thru any holes in the firewall or thru the fresh air intakes. I'd run it with a loop right out of the tank to the bottom of the box, then down to the inside of the frame, back to the rear of the frame. Be sure the loop is higher than the highest point of the fill neck. Personally I have a similar tank setup on my panel, and I will run the vent to a tube welded into the top of the fill neck pointed back into the tank, and use a vented cap. If you install a recessed filler neck and cover door, I'd do the same or run the vent to an open tube next to the fill neck and use an unvented cap. Just be sure the cover over the fill neck inside the cab is sealed air tight.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Project-55
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know that your tank is in the stock location but what I have done several times when installing under-bed tanks is run my vent line to the corner of the bed, drill a hole just below the deck into the bottom of the corner stake pocket and feed about 6 inches of hose up inside the stake pocket with a rear diff vent installed. It keeps the end of the vent well above your tank and is invisible to the eye (unless you peek into the stake pocket with a flashlight).

I'm not sure how discrete you could be, putting your vent in the front l/h stake pocket but it might work and it would be well above your fuel level. Ideally, you want your vent above the highest point of your filler neck.

Gary

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
P-55, That's a good solution! Just put a 180 in the end of the line so it's pointed down and won't fill with water.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Turnrjr,
Hmmm... Lot's of good advice above. The one thing I'd add
is we experienced quite a strong gas smell in the garage when we
had just a vented gas cap. My wife wasn't too fond of it soooo...
we put in a "rollover vent" valve in the tank & had it go through a
charcoal canister to cut down on fumes.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Turnrjr,
Hmmm... Lot's of good advice above. The one thing I'd add
is we experienced quite a strong gas smell in the garage when we
had just a vented gas cap. My wife wasn't too fond of it soooo...
we put in a "rollover vent" valve in the tank & had it go through a
charcoal canister to cut down on fumes.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Same problem for me. Charged to a late model vscrew in cap, and added a rollover vent. Works great.

Sam

Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Getting higher than the filler neck is what I was struggling with. That is what led me to the firewall. The stake pocket idea is it! Good idea. Thank you. Now all I need is the whole bed. It will be some time before funds are available for one.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 AM
bradevans
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on gas tank vent / rollover valve

HELP !!!
Does anyone know where the best place is (on a 49 Ford pickup truck resto-mod) to mount a remote-mount rollover valve ?? I'm afraid it will fill up with mud if placed in the wheel well or interfere with carrying cargo if placed in the bed and I cant find any info on where one should locate this thing ???
Thanks for any help !!!!!
Brad
mail@bradevans.com

Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Brad,
Is your gas tank still in the cab? The fill neck is vented - not sure you need a
roll over valve for a stock set up. We put a '70 Mustang 22 gallon tank out under
the bed. Our rollover valve is just in the top of the tank & goes to a charcoal canister mounted away from the exhaust.

Not sure if this helps but good luck over there in California!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Quick Reply: Gas tank vent required?