Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HELP - 99-03, 7.3 POWERSTROKE / LANDCRUISER

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I believe the 38R is a direct replacement, but the QSSB you'll need all new mounts and uppipes etc..

Old 07-20-2012, 02:18 AM
BRAD ROLSTON
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that. At the end of the day which of the 2 to is the best for durability, "trouble free", and will last the longest.?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:11 AM
BRAD ROLSTON
Junior User
Please have a look at my WTB ad in the Wanted section..........

Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

The villainous scrapyards have been giving Brad the runaround. He's got a fresh lead though which sounds promising.

Here is Brad's certified crate sitting at my workplace waiting for the goods. The other day I had the forklift started and the crate in the air when one of the deals fell through...

Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I am a Land Cruiser FANATIC and have thought about how awesome a 7.3L powered Land Cruiser would be. I think this is a great idea. I actually bought my 7.3l Excursion to tow my Land Cruisers with. I like SUVs and I love the 7.3L PSD so the EX was the only choice. One day I would like to have a 60 series diesel Cruiser, or an 80, or a 40. Really any diesel Land Cruiser would be awesome. But a Toyota Land Cruiser (NOT A LAND ROVER AND NOT A JEEP) with a 7.3L Powerstroke may be the toughest most reliable combination of any vehicle, ever. I would put that up against anything and bet the farm on it. Although, the Toyota diesels are pretty stout. CAN YOU PLEASE POST PICS OF THE CRUISER THAT THIS IS GOING IN?!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

My first thought is that you would want to just mate it to ZF6 6speed because it would be a lot simpler, and I see that is where you are going. I dont know how much power an H55F can handle, but I guess it would not be strong enough?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

And what axles are you going to use?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:08 PM
BRAD ROLSTON
Junior User
honeydew

Thanks to you and Mark, I at least own a finely crafted crate in the US. If my luck carries on the way it has been - it'll be more than good enough to get burried in one day.......

Studawg

If the weather is good, I'll take new pictures and post them tomorrow - been promising Honeydew for the last 3 weeks..........

Craig from CRS in Australia tells me the Cruiser transmission can handle 700hp - I have no idea. I have fitted big block Chevys and Fords to Lancruisers in the past, and never broken a transmission.

Agree with you 100% - in Africa, there would be no better Cruiser than one fitted with a 7.3 Powerstroke. Just have to be patient, and work precisely.

Will be using Cruiser axles to start with - any problems, and I'll get a a set of F350 SD's and make them work.

BTW - Cruisers here are affectionately regarded as the official recovery and tow in vehicles for Land Rovers.....

Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BRAD ROLSTON

Craig from CRS in Australia tells me the Cruiser transmission can handle 700hp - I have no idea. I have fitted big block Chevys and Fords to Lancruisers in the past, and never broken a transmission.
Ah, but can they handle 1000ft/lb of the twisting stuff (ie torque)

Old 07-27-2012, 04:39 PM
BRAD ROLSTON
Junior User
The way things are moving now, it may end up being a hell of a long wait before we find out.........

Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

M8 , I have been shipping gear from the States for coming on 2 years now and I mean a heap. Motor, trans and a whole lot more. I have used both seafreight and airfreight I understand bruva. Some go smoothly and some dont. I waited over 4 weeks for a set of pistons and when they finally arrived half of em were damaged. So then another 4 weeks . Hang in there, its difficult at times but with help from ya FTE brothers you'll get it sorted.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Brad catches a break! Engine, ZF6 and transfer case. Now he'll have something to mess with while we track down a better engine. This one "has a knock". The Georgia peaches aren't going to Africa.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:43 PM
BRAD ROLSTON
Junior User
Chunder

No understatement there.....

Getting it imported is the last of my worries - between my local agent here, Friends, Honeydew and Mark in FL, and APE in CA, all the bases are covered - both air and sea....

The problem is finding a really good, low millage, complete liftout unit to use in my own Cruiser, in order to have the perfect show vehicle. I don't think people realize how important this is. The 2nd shipment will probably be by sea, along with new parts to rebuild some of the older stuff we find. The interest here for these conversions grows by the day, but some of the guys are starting to think I'm smoking some illegal substance, and it's something I'm just dreaming and talking about.

The problem is away from these 2 issues - Ads on Search Tempest, Craiglist, E-bay, auto wreckers, and all the other advertisers I have contacted, who claim to have exactly what I'm looking for.

Mark was on his way to Tampa to fetch a complete liftout with 45k miles, when we got told there was an "issue"with the motor - this is just one of many stories that came up when we were ready to pay and collect. Oh, and one guy offered me a motor for $12 500-00.........

I have been in the hunting industry in Africa for 23 years, and I thought I'd met nearly every corrupt, lying, thieving, cheating, obnoxious and plain useless SOB that ever walked the earth - turns out I was wrong........

I've come so far now, there's no turning back. I see I just have to be patient, until the right setup arrives - a lot of the new parts are already here, and the boxes are starting to collect dust. I might just have all the new stuff for engine mods, and the rest of the conversion before I find the correct dropout. Patience..........

Everyone here on FTE has been so helpfull, I could never thank you all enough.

Brad

Old 08-11-2012, 02:46 PM
BRAD ROLSTON
Junior User
Honeydew

Thanks for the picture - may end up making a 4ft by 6ft print of it, having it framed, and putting it up on my workshop wall..........

Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Here's another for you taken yesterday, view from the forklift bringing engine and trans into the building. It's sitting next to your crate now. Mark pulled the t-case off prior to this.

Quick Reply: HELP - 99-03, 7.3 POWERSTROKE / LANDCRUISER