6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

They Figured out how to steal the newest trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Byram, I saw that story on the news as well, saw the badge on the side and had the exact same thought - Damn, now they know how to steal these too!

Mine's still sitting locked in front of our building right now, and hopefully the thieves that took my '06 (from the exact same parking spot even) won't be bold enough to come back again - but you never know.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
I think it is 97 mph
Yes...... That is about the max my F-350 will go. Then the power is reduced to not exceed the 97 mph.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
It's possible to theft proof your vehicles, but really there's nothing we can do unless you feel like spending a ton of money.

I've always wanted an aftermarket alarm/deterrent system but it's just too expensive.

Sometimes I wonder if we could just come up with a simple switch that can be hidden by the driver seat that would not allow current to reach the starter motor. It's not secure but really, it's all about how much time the thief is willing to spend trying to start it.

You electrical wiz folks, can a low current switch connected to a relay for the big power handle the start current? Is it even worth thinking about?
This idea works great.
SpringerPop's Disabler

Took me a while to install on my first truck but my other two were pretty easy. My wife and I like the feature so much that we even figured out a way to make it work with our LT1 T/A by integrating the appropriate size resistor into the OEM security key system. It's great because all we have to do is use the RKE fob to lock the doors and the engine disabler is set. Then to unlatch for starting, we simply waive the key fob (with magnet inside) over our secret spot and watch for the "Theft" light to stop blinking. The latching relay even makes an audible click so you will know when it's ok to start the engine again.

Of course you'll have to modify the steps a bit since your truck is much newer. Does the 6.7 still have an IDM module? If so, then all you have to do is find the wire from the IDM relay that powers the module and interrupt that wire with the latching relay. To 'set' the relay, you just need to find your parking light relay that flashes when the doors are locked with the key fob and tap off that wire with a diode (in case your horn is on the same wire...).

Of course, it's probably not recommended to start cutting into the wiring harnesses while the vehicle is still under warranty. But, once warranty is up....then let the modding begin!

Anyone that tries to steal my truck is going to need to bring a bigger truck because they aren't going to get the engine started without spending hours tracing wires.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4,005 Likes on 1,601 Posts
I truly believe the way to solve the theif problem is...........
Rig the truck with a number of sticks of dyamite. If the key that came with the truck is not used........ Bang
The jerk will never f*** with anyone again..... Yes, the insurance company will buy me a new truck. The insurance Companies will save money..... Stolen trucks will drop to almost zero.

I know this is not legal.... Therefore I would not do it. But, I do believe it is a Good solution.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
This idea works great.
SpringerPop's Disabler

Took me a while to install on my first truck but my other two were pretty easy. My wife and I like the feature so much that we even figured out a way to make it work with our LT1 T/A by integrating the appropriate size resistor into the OEM security key system. It's great because all we have to do is use the RKE fob to lock the doors and the engine disabler is set. Then to unlatch for starting, we simply waive the key fob (with magnet inside) over our secret spot and watch for the "Theft" light to stop blinking. The latching relay even makes an audible click so you will know when it's ok to start the engine again.

Of course you'll have to modify the steps a bit since your truck is much newer. Does the 6.7 still have an IDM module? If so, then all you have to do is find the wire from the IDM relay that powers the module and interrupt that wire with the latching relay. To 'set' the relay, you just need to find your parking light relay that flashes when the doors are locked with the key fob and tap off that wire with a diode (in case your horn is on the same wire...).

Of course, it's probably not recommended to start cutting into the wiring harnesses while the vehicle is still under warranty. But, once warranty is up....then let the modding begin!

Anyone that tries to steal my truck is going to need to bring a bigger truck because they aren't going to get the engine started without spending hours tracing wires.
the new keys are fob and key as one, don't know if we could get the magnets in there. haven't pried the cover off..

sam

Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2horses
Byram, I saw that story on the news as well, saw the badge on the side and had the exact same thought - Damn, now they know how to steal these too!

Mine's still sitting locked in front of our building right now, and hopefully the thieves that took my '06 (from the exact same parking spot even) won't be bold enough to come back again - but you never know.
Pam - The guy was from SA - Already had some stolen Vehicle Arrests - You can bet they were going to do the same thing that they did with your '06....

Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Byram
Pam - The guy was from SA - Already had some stolen Vehicle Arrests - You can bet they were going to do the same thing that they did with your '06....
Absolutely! I'm just glad they caught the SOB. He's got a LOT of charges against him, including murder. Wonder how the rest of the ring is feeling about now? One name, just one name.....

Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Absolutely! I'm just glad they caught the SOB. He's got a LOT of charges against him, including murder. Wonder how the rest of the ring is feeling about now? One name, just one name.....
Yea - that would be good - they also figuring that they won't have to pay him or split the latest run $$ with him...

Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
As long as they keep their sorry thievin' butts on their side of the border..... Hope they're worried about being ratted out, he'll probably sing like a canary!!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

As long as they keep their sorry thievin' butts on their side of the border..... Hope they're worried about being ratted out, he'll probably sing like a canary!!
Except if he does - they will knock him off in prison.... they probably already discussed the future of his wife/mother/grandmother , etc. with him... guys are pretty ruthless....

Old 06-19-2012, 03:27 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Window etching is just an up sell, like body side moldings or undercoating.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
Have you found the relay for sale? I emailed the company, never got a response.
I emailed again after this thread popped up today, this time I got a response within the hour.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
having your truck ripped off isn't the worst thing to happen. typically your insurance company will pay out quite a bit more than what you can find a good deal for on another truck. if someone rips off my truck all I ask is I never see it again.

my '02 dodge got stolen in the summer of '04 they drove it about 40 miles away and left it at a grocery store parking lot. 10 days later I got a call saying the truck was at an impound lot. they did still everything inside it, which was covered under home owners insurance. I was wishing they had just left it at the airport in long term parking LOL.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Cold One
Senior User

Do they still install aftermarket car starters with a spare key under the dash? This was the worst idea ever!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
the new keys are fob and key as one, don't know if we could get the magnets in there. haven't pried the cover off..

sam
Figures. Still a pretty easy work around. My '76 Vette doesn't have a key fob either so I wired a push button switch under the steering column for the arming feature. To disarm, I have a small neodymium magnet on the keychain. Works great.

Quick Reply: They Figured out how to steal the newest trucks