6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

To tune or not to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Curt's05
We take risk's in all that we do, some of us have a higher tolerance than others. I have gauges since the first month (per fte advice) let my truck warm up. I think at least 10% of us have done it that way. I could replace all my sensors, in advance of them failing playing it safe that way. If the engine has problems, then 1 at a time could be a disaster, just my .02...
Why advocate one at a time when you don't know the history of his truck or if it's showing symptoms of having problems? He might even not know one way or the other if they are mild enough or he doesn't recognize them for what they are.

It is true that some don't have a very high risk threshold, sometimes that varies between what what you are talking about. I have a very low threshold on some things, but then I act like Evil Knievel on others.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Reward= less time & Money Risk=oem gaskets failing

Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 69cj
That statement is an oxymoron. Pick one or the other.
Not really when gearhead claims to have a 1-3 mpg increase in mpgs with the SRL tune, In the end it depends on the driver, so im hoping for more power when i want it and better fuel economy when im taking it easy. Ill pick both thank you

Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lakewood
Not really when gearhead claims to have a 1-3 mpg increase in mpgs with the SRL tune, In the end it depends on the driver, so im hoping for more power when i want it and better fuel economy when im taking it easy. Ill pick both thank you
You aren't getting them at the same time though, even according to you: "more power when I want it and better fuel economy when I take it easy". You are still picking one or the other.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Reward= less time & Money Risk=oem gaskets failing
You forgot another risk is you are out even more money and time if it doesn't work doing one at a time.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 PM
rhjj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run Innovative Diesels extreme street, the truck makes power so easy I have a hard time keeping my foot out of it. It will pickup a few mpg if you can have restrain.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
lakewood
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tex25025
You aren't getting them at the same time though, even according to you: "more power when I want it and better fuel economy when I take it easy". You are still picking one or the other.
since were gettin technical i kinda am because the SRL tune will be on. so it will provide more power through all the rpms

Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lakewood
since were gettin technical i kinda am because the SRL tune will be on. so it will provide more power through all the rpms
No you aren't. If you are showing restraint you aren't getting the full power the tune will give you. Even if you are calculating throughout the rpm range. The only way to realize both power and mpg gains is if you are able to utilize the full power of the tune and still gain mpg. If you have to show restraint, the tune isn't being used to it's potential. You are choosing to get better MPG over using the full power that the tune will give you.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
You forgot another risk is you are out even more money and time if it doesn't work doing one at a time.

ok am I missing something here? assuming he does the work himself, how is he out more money if one at a time doesn't work.
if it springs a leak and he doesn't stop driving it yes. but like every other owner, if you keep on driving after a major failure its your own stupid fault.
more than a few owners have reported success at this, so I think we need to start giving it credit. likewise a good number of credible guys have reported running hot tunes on stock bolts successfully. they tend to be guys who are "nice" to the engine til its warm. also tends to make one think that many of the earlier HG replacement were actually misdiagnosed EGR coolers
just because someone is using some "restraint" doesn't mean that they are not still using more than stock

Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nitrogen

ok am I missing something here? assuming he does the work himself, how is he out more money if one at a time doesn't work.
Do you not value your time? If I'm having to spend time re doing a fix then that's taking away time that I could be doing to earn money or do something else, spend time with the kids etc.

Do you get paid at a job for the time that you spend doing something? Time has value or at least it should. You put in time at work, do you not get paid for that, either salary or hourly?

Things aren't as cheap as a lot of people think, because they forget to value the time that they put into something. If I'm fixing my truck instead of using my truck to go to a horse show to earn money (either by teaching clients before they go into a class or placing (or winning) a class myself) that's costing me money. Or keeping me from doing design work etc.

Also, if one at a time doesn't work, he is going to have to go even further into the engine, because somewhere it isn't kosher. Maybe he has to mill the heads, something he should have done the first go around, more cost. Then the actually digging into the engine deeper is going to cost more in time, labor and both affect cost in the financial sense.

He has the original cost of doing the initial work of one at a time, plus all the extra work of having to fix it if he had something wrong with his engine that you wouldn't spot if you did it one at a time.

Could it work, yes. Is there a possibility that he doesn't have an existing issue...yes that is true. Can you say it with 100% certainty without digging into the engine, be very hard to. It's a gamble and it's a gamble that the owner is up on all the subtle clues that his engine is either clean or not. I am not saying that it won't work, but because even if the installation and everything goes flawlessly, you still run the risk of there being a problem with this method. While if you go check everything, dot your "i"s and cross your "t"s and the installation was flawless, you are good to go. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm saying your a gambling on that your engine is perfect (or within certain tolerances) right now. There is a difference.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm a believer in the one at a time, ill post in another 30-60k that its proof it works. You do a lot of extra work & achieve the same results, if you want to...

Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really see any reason why the one at a time method wouldn't work as long as the gaskets are not already blown

Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ian123
I don't really see any reason why the one at a time method wouldn't work as long as the gaskets are not already blown

That's the assumption that you are making, that they aren't blown.

It will work as long as nothing is wrong with the engine, however, you are making the assumption that nothing is wrong when you use that method.

I am not saying that it won't work, I am saying that it is a gamble, because you don't know the status of the engine's condition. Some times the clues to engine issues are very subtle that might be missed.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Well in my case after my coolant flush I filled slightly over the original full marks. To allow for any air pockets. I had my slide camper loaded, total weight of truck 11000. Temp in high eighties warmed it up put it on a mile of 5% grade full throttle full boost all the way. Topped out around 90 mph temp at 230the oil a bit more. Checked it cold afterwards no sign of any spitting. coolant still right up there. Pretty sure my HG's are OK. If it was gonna puke that should have done it.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts
I'm a believer in the one at a time, ill post in another 30-60k that its proof it works. You do a lot of extra work & achieve the same results, if you want to...
For engines that will be pushed harder than average, I'm not sold on the one at a time method myself.

If there are any imperfections in the mating surfaces, the HGs can still go, regardless of what's holding them together. Without pulling the heads, you don't know for sure.

Quick Reply: To tune or not to tune?