Originally Posted by sean23johnson
Killer!!! Let's see some pictures!!!
Pick it up thursday.... I will.....

Old 06-05-2012, 03:48 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by levimorris85
This is all a very good point but as for me, i cant see spending that kind of money for a vehicle that i cant get exactally what i want. Such as
a stick, carpet delete, rearend locking ratio i want, and when i visit the 6.7 forum i read a whole lot more reasons i don't want one. They haven't been proven reliable yet in my book. Look at the 6.0, it was here a few years and gone with a lot of problems. The 6.4 was here and gone, now the 6.7 offers the question of how long will it last. my .02 is there is a lot of variables to be considered so to answer the OP, I wouldn't do it.
Point taken. There are some problems guys post about but I also take that with a grain of salt.Most people come on here to post problems specifically.If I judged the 7.3 on problems posted in the forum I never would of bought one.Not going to argue your point but I dont think you can compare it to a 6.0 .

Old 06-05-2012, 04:31 PM
adam10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats on new truck.i will never own another new one.just because of the payment.i passed on a 6.0 when making my desicions based on family and die hard ford truck guys at work who said they would buy another 7.3 before owning another 6.0.everyone has different tastes and in 10 years the 6.7 will be in my price range.with all the knowledge on this site i feel theres not alot i cant troubleshoot and possibly fix on my own.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Originally Posted by joeyd61
still, its 500 a month,If it was me, i would stick with the tried and true..
when I looked at a new truck,I decided to pay myself the payment and get my truck the way I want.the new trucks are nice and you can find a deal,around here the 12's are 50,000 plus so with the right down payment/trade in i could see 500 mo payments + higher ins payment..
I have had car/truck payments for 20 years and don't want anymore..
After 3 years I have replaced/rebuilt everything on my 03 from bumper to bumper and its mine..Not to mention the no payment thing really helps with fuel prices and maintaince/upgrades in the future
Just my .02
AMEN brother!!!! the 12's are nice but just not for that payment IMO.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by microdevil45
AMEN brother!!!! the 12's are nice but just not for that payment IMO.
To each his own.. Loved my 7.3 but sold it today. Insurance for the new truck only went up 10 a month. Pick it up tomorow night.Cant wait.Yes the payment is 500 month but obviously everyone lives within their means and this is within our means and you only live once so we are going to enjoy life and buy the things we can afford if we want to. Thanks to everyone for all the help over the past 4 years with my 7.3.. I fixed some things I never would have touched if it werent for everyone here.Thank you

Old 06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Good luck Rtazz17. Don't be a stranger. If I could I'd get one and spend sometime traveling around the states. The power in the new trucks are alsome but spendy. If you would, report back on MPG, I here all kind of stories. One guy said 20mpg and another 10. I would like to know. God bless,

Chet

Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Thumbs up Me too

Originally Posted by rtazz17
To each his own.. Loved my 7.3 but sold it today. Insurance for the new truck only went up 10 a month. Pick it up tomorow night.Cant wait.Yes the payment is 500 month but obviously everyone lives within their means and this is within our means and you only live once so we are going to enjoy life and buy the things we can afford if we want to. Thanks to everyone for all the help over the past 4 years with my 7.3.. I fixed some things I never would have touched if it werent for everyone here.Thank you

Rob
Same here looks like I will be seeing you on the other side. After 16 yrs on the other I want one that I can nurse along another 16 years and the 1996 is staying with me, just a little less duty for it and now I get to bump it up some more on the performance curve. Its still a good truck. I have reached a point in my life that I dont want to have to wonder on a 1200 mile road trip if I am going to have to fix something else while towing.

You hit it on the head it depends on where you are in life and what satisfies you at that particular time in your life. I bought the 1996 psd new and its served our family well over 16 yrs. Watched my kids grow up from toddlers to grown men and woman. I remember then in boosters and carseats in the truck and now my grand kids ride in it.

It will be nice to punt to the stealership for a while and I am either getting the lifetime warranty or a very extended. one. In any case I hope to keep a hold of the new one for as long or longer.

Heres the old Dawg that is staying with me and when I get the new one I will post it. Thanks guys for all of the insightfull comments and discussion,

THE DAWG
96 PSD 7.3 410 4X4

[img][/img]

Yep, Its a keeper

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Good luck Rtazz17. Don't be a stranger. If I could I'd get one and spend sometime traveling around the states. The power in the new trucks are alsome but spendy. If you would, report back on MPG, I here all kind of stories. One guy said 20mpg and another 10. I would like to know. God bless,

Chet
I said 20 but it was really 19.9 all interstate for about 200 miles. Varied speed between 65 and 80 but stayed mostly around 70 to 75. Had six passengers and some luggage in the back. Only had about 500 miles on it at that point so potentially may get better once its broke in.

I don't have an accurate around town mileage yet

Old 06-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Thats great mpg. Is it 4x4 or just 2 wheel drive. I would like one to, but 4x4 and dually for towing is more what I want. I've just heard so many stories about 10 to 14 highway that even with that power and todays fuel cost its hard to pull the trigger. Of course 14 towing would be fine.

Chet

Old 06-07-2012, 08:25 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Thats great mpg. Is it 4x4 or just 2 wheel drive. I would like one to, but 4x4 and dually for towing is more what I want. I've just heard so many stories about 10 to 14 highway that even with that power and todays fuel cost its hard to pull the trigger. Of course 14 towing would be fine.

Chet
FX4 with 3.55 rear and stock 20"s

I plan on hooking the camper to it this weekend to help with the break in process. hope mileage towing will be good....im not expecting 14mpg but maybe 11-12. Camper is 10Klb

Old 06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
If your truck is running great, don't do it, keep the 7.3L. I miss mine, every time I see one go by I tell my wife I miss it, she tells me to stop whining .

My truck needed work. 225k miles on the original trans which was on its way out. Wheel bearings, bushings, and rear diff really needed to be replaced. Plus more little things. So it was either drop money into my truck, or trade it to the dealer who didn't know squat about what the truck needed .

Originally Posted by 1973dieselhighboy
they do drive great and have lots of power but they do have there down fall, egr coolers are failing as soon as 30k and have no fix besides replace the cooler and i have heard of people getting some water in the fuel and that would be a nightmare taking the truck in for a lack of power, no start or check engine light and come to find out you got bad fuel and now its your bill, not something i would want cause you can almost buy another one of your trucks if that happens and still have the payment.
I have been told to drain the water out of the fuel once a month, there is a valve for it, easy to get to and easy to do. I have not owned my truck a month yet and have not done it yet but that should keep the water out of the fuel.

If the egr cooler fails at 30k it should be replaced by the dealer for no cost to the owner, right? I got the 75k mile warrenty so if needed I should get it done for free twice.

Originally Posted by DRRXR
Well gents I am sold. Yep I will soon be the owner of a 2012. 3.55 6spd. I have had a 96 since its birth. Great truck but its time fo up grade. So I came across this thread by chance to night and 16yrs after my first Psd. Its time for another. I will keep the old dog after all. I know it will fire up everyday. I will have to get use to the new kid on the block. Please excuse the jump in post. I have been eyeing.them since the 7.3 went away. Waiting on the day when tbe get thier moxi back. I think they have based on the research and comaprison data. So maybe I can ride the 6.7 till 2028 at least thats my goal.
Congrats! I pulled the trigger also and I am hoping the get 15 years out of it as well.

As far as MPG, I am happy. I was getting 12mpg doing 95mph () with a little trailer that prob weighed in at 3k. Doing 75 on my way home (still 3k, camping trip) I was getting 13mpg. No trailer but with 1500 lbs in the bed pumping WVO stop and go traffic, the idiot gauge is up to 13.6mpg.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 AM
kccatpower
Senior User
congrats on the new truck, my buddy has the spartan set up on his and it flat hauls. rides nice, heated leather seats, auto fold mirrors, back up camera and im sure more things im missing. if i could swing the payments id probably buy one also.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:43 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Oh and after $11k down ($6 for the old truck) payments are $840/month for 72 months. ugh. But of course my wife got all the options she possibly could and I got the extend warrenty.

Edit: Thanks Grady! You squeezed in there before I posted this one.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Originally Posted by rtazz17
As long as you like it brother nothing else matters. And you are exactly right you only live once. Have fun and enjoy.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:53 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DemonRace6
payments are $840/month for 72 months.
that dog won't hunt......

it depreciates at least that much every month too.

congrats and enjoy. been eyeballing 2007 6.0ohs..... my truck is great and runs well, but wish it had a lot of the creature comforts the newer ones do.

Quick Reply: Wow,drove my brothers 6.7 today