6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Help, 6.4L diesel cranking, not starting, stranded

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:44 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard from my son just a minute ago. He had it diagnosed by the Ford Dealer where he bought it. Their diagnosis indicate that the High Pressure Fuel Pump is bad, but the kicker is....... they want him to pay for a 500 dollar fuel analysis, and if it passes, then Ford will cover the test and the whole replacement cost, which does include removing the cab. If the sample fails, then he has to eat it, and pay for the repair too............. Is this standard procedure????
And five hundred dollars, where is it being tested, on the SkyLab?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bad news.

Ford will not accept liability for contaminated fuel doing damage to the truck. Period.

Good news.

They are willing to provide proof. I don't know about the cost of analysis, but it's a really good thing that they are willing to test the fuel before a decision is made. In the past it has been done the other way. They just tell you it's bad fuel and stick you with an $17,000 bill.

Now, has there or is there ANY evidence of water in the water drain? Do you have any reason to believe that improper fuel was burned, or contaminated fuel (water)?

If the fuel is good, you are golden. This is good news.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBlueMacDaddy
I heard from my son just a minute ago. He had it diagnosed by the Ford Dealer where he bought it. Their diagnosis indicate that the High Pressure Fuel Pump is bad, but the kicker is....... they want him to pay for a 500 dollar fuel analysis, and if it passes, then Ford will cover the test and the whole replacement cost, which does include removing the cab. If the sample fails, then he has to eat it, and pay for the repair too............. Is this standard procedure????
And five hundred dollars, where is it being tested, on the SkyLab?
That's a first I've heard.

Too bad their's water in just about all diesel. Which is why diesels have a Fuel Water Separator. Sorry to say, but if your son does the fuel analysis, there's a high probability that he'll lose his $500. On the flip side, if he doesn't, he'll be out of pocket $10K+ for repairs.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
BigSilly86
Like A Boss!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RM2738
That's a first I've heard.

Too bad their's water in just about all diesel. Which is why diesels have a Fuel Water Separator. Sorry to say, but if your son does the fuel analysis, there's a high probability that he'll lose his $500. On the flip side, if he doesn't, he'll be out of pocket $10K+ for repairs.
They never stated that it was the whole system, its only the HPFP so it wont be $10,000. more like 2 thousand.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
I'd start by asking the reasoning for testing the fuel. I'm assuming their checking water content. If so, Check into Polaris labs. They offer a test for diesel that includes water %. Only 28 bucks. I'm sure their are others. Maybe you can get a test done there before dropping 500 bones for theirs.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigSilly86
They never stated that it was the whole system, its only the HPFP so it wont be $10,000. more like 2 thousand.
Let's hope that's the case. A HPFP failure, requesting a fuel analysis, looking for WIF I'm assuming. So.... My question would be, If the pump failed and DIDN'T destroy the fuel system, could water be the culprit? Is the $500 test just another diagnostic fee that is absolutely outrageous and not necessary?

Now I'm thinking that Ford isn't looking for water. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that they are thinking sulfur content. Maybe there was fuel other than ULSD. Off road diesel maybe? The test that includes Sulfur PPM is $729 from Polaris Labs.

Keep us updated!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
My son says that if there is a fuel contamination problem, he's going to ask Ford for a list of just where to buy approved fuel, as he has not put any additives in the fuel, and hasn't seen any warning lights, other than the wrench after it wouldn't start.

I will keep you updated. He is going to ask for a sample for his own, as he may have access to getting his own test done. He said that the Ford service techs assured him that checking the water separator is something that they have done on each of his services, and so far, have not noted a problem. He also said that he's never seen any service engine lights, till it wouldn't start!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
insurance claim is probably where this is headed. One reason I said to pull the top filter and have a look. Any rust or metal is going to be an indicater of a HPFP.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I note he said he used no fuel additives. Could that be the problem? Could the lack of lubricity in ULSD have caused the HPFP to fail? I'm surely no tech on diesels but that is exactly why I use Diesel Kleen with every fill up.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:55 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought the pump on the 6.4 was not considered to be vulnerable to wear scar numbers like the newer 6.7's are?

Some folks believe the Bosch pump on the 6.7 is operating outside its design parameters with the wear scar rating of US ULSD lubricity. I also thought that the pump on a 6.4 is a Siemens? And, not as fragile?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I thought the pump on the 6.4 was not considered to be vulnerable to wear scar numbers like the newer 6.7's are?

Some folks believe the Bosch pump on the 6.7 is operating outside its design parameters with the wear scar rating of US ULSD lubricity. I also thought that the pump on a 6.4 is a Siemens? And, not as fragile?
I too think the Siemans is much better at this issue. Mine is just fine and I don't use any additives. I found them to not help.

I do a fuel injector cleaner once in a blue moon.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
Latest update on my son's truck is that the truck was disassembled on Friday, and sent information to Ford. They indicated that they, "didn't see or find any signs of contamination, but that Ford Corporate makes the final call". Ford requested additional information which has been sent, and an answer is expected Monday.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigBlueMacDaddy
Latest update on my son's truck is that the truck was disassembled on Friday, and sent information to Ford. They indicated that they, "didn't see or find any signs of contamination, but that Ford Corporate makes the final call". Ford requested additional information which has been sent, and an answer is expected Monday.
That's a positive. Doesn't sound like Ford has sent a field engineer out to inspect himself yet. Maybe Ford is just taking the info from the dealer.

Did your son do the fuel analysis?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 PM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
No, unfortunately, he didn't get his own fuel analysis done. He has been riding a motorcycle to work the last week, and getting drenched in a nasty storm on an interstate!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM
BigBlueMacDaddy
Cargo Master
It is 10:21 AM Monday morning, and my son just received a call from the Dealer saying that Ford has approved his truck and that it will be ready Wednesday! Yippee! My Faith in Ford is 'Renewed'

Quick Reply: Help, 6.4L diesel cranking, not starting, stranded