Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

2nd Riffraff Downunder Tech Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 03:24 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Most drivers are busy. But are they making money ???????????
The other day me brother was carting grain from stock pile @ dookie to graincorp's Shipping facility @ geelong 6 hr return he was getting $50 a tonne,the B-double i want to set up will carry 44 tonne net pay load = $ 2200 for 1 load my brother said you can fit 2 loads in a day keeping with in your log book hours $4400 for the day just an example bruvva..
You know me i research everything before i go anywhere near it especially when it involves my lively hood

Not saying im going to do it but im having a hard look at it,spoke to my broker today about finance for the truck and trailers ....

Gotta do something bruvva,i wunna keep working for myself.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
I think you're onto a good thing there Bryan. When that 'Crap Carbon Tax' comes in there will be an increase in the transportation of PVs, gas heating equipment (domestic and commercial) and the new energy efficient retail refrigeration units. Coles has already said if they upgrade their shop refrigeration they will be able to offset any CT related electricity price increases. So a shed load more work is going to be going down transporting this stuff around pretty soon.
As you said - out of something bad....

Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 AM
artie49
New User
nlce looking k100 but its to old my new friend lots miles even with a rebuild. the powers to be are making it harder on older trucks just ask capt carbon tax

Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by artie49
nlce looking k100 but its to old my new friend lots miles even with a rebuild. the powers to be are making it harder on older trucks just ask capt carbon tax
lol. good one Artie. All Im saying m8 is be careful. I know you will do ya research. You are gunna need alot more than a coupla loads to pay ya bills - make sum money and pay 200K + back to those thieven bathtubs. If the truckn game was that profitable every one would be doing it.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

If the truckn game was that profitable every one would be doing it.
Fair enough no more said

Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by artie49
Just an example arty,still looking..

Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Nkelly
Fair enough no more said
I'll shut up now bruva

Old 06-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

I'll shut up now bruva
Ya gotta have a look bruva,sitting onya hands will get you no where.

And im only going on what me brother is telling me,i was yacking too the father inlaw last night who lives in dubbo about the grain rates and he said back when he was carting grain 25 years ago he was earning $3000 a fortnight,he said its top money when its on,seasonal tho,but hey he didnt dispute what my brother is telling me .

So fark nose,im gunna have a little look.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

No wukkas.
Our contract is up for renewal 2014. When its all sorted I will be bailing. Hope they are still carting grain then bro.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 AM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Hope they are still carting grain then bro.
Well i reckon they will be,just hopefully simon's mates in the federal labor goverment dont let the chinese buy up everything.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:18 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
I know about that massive crack down they had on trucks after that triple fatality head-on on the Hume near Sydney. That crack down may have actually opened the transport market up a bit because a lot of dodgy operators got huge shake ups and some have been crippled with heavy fines. So they won't be undercutting too many privateers for awhile.

There's a few wobbles in Govt ATM from the Chinese buying up farm land and water rights. They've been doing it for years, started big time under the Howard govt. As long as they don't let them start bringing in Chinese drivers to transport the produce they're growing you'll be OK.

I've been working on various 'reforms' in Canberra for the last 20 years. Without exception every one has been met with hysterical press about the end of the economy as we know it. It goes on & on & on. FA facts in the debate and mass hysteria in the press. Then once the reforms go in some people wonder what all the fuss was about. GST was a classic case. Now it is probably one of the best/fairest taxes in the country, and even tourists and black marketeers pay at least some tax which is good for the rest of us.

My 'mates' in the Labor party are really into Water Reform ATM. That's where I work. Once there is a proper functioning inter-state water market (another 2 years), any grower that wants to buy water will be able to do so in an open market. That means growers will be able to grow more grain for less investment (cause when you can buy water on the spot market you don't have to own the refinery so to speak, growers won't need as much capital to be in the growing business). Growers being able to buy water on a spot market means Australia will be producing more grain means more transportation required.

That's why I reckon, generally, it could be a good time to get into transport. And it ain't got anything to do with the carbon tax which I know you guys hate, but I haven't really heard any reasons why yet. Give me a reason and I will join you. ATM it's just like another GST which only applies to dirty industries, and therefore provides a huge new opportunity for business to spend money to do it cleaner. Without the carbon tax there is no incentive to do it cleaner as doing it the old and dirty way costs less money now (but more money later when someone else has to clean up).

Now you're going to say I'm ramming the CT down your throats again...

Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Dont worry bro. The CT wont be worth sh$t in about 478 days

Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
24 hours is a long time in politics let alone 478 days. Time and time again Aust govt's have proved that if you give the average worker more money in their pocket in the year of an election they'll get back in 9 times in 10. It ain't done and dusted yet.
Last time this govt survived by spending the surplus.
This time they may survive by spending Gina Rinehart's surplus!

Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Let me know when (and where) you folks have it, and I will try my best to make it... don't have an effie that needs working on anymore, but would be good to meet Clay after chatting on the phone a couple of times. Can be a tour guide if its in Melbs and find us some good pubs to get kicked outta
Originally Posted by Nkelly
Ya gotta have a look bruva,sitting onya hands will get you no where.

And im only going on what me brother is telling me,i was yacking too the father inlaw last night who lives in dubbo about the grain rates and he said back when he was carting grain 25 years ago he was earning $3000 a fortnight,he said its top money when its on,seasonal tho,but hey he didnt dispute what my brother is telling me .

So fark nose,im gunna have a little look.
One of my mates runs 3 B-doubles out of Shepparton, drives up to north NSW at the start of the cotton season, and for the next few months he works his way back down trucking grain/rice etc.
Usually finds a few young blokes keen on work, gets them their MC license, and the trucks run almost 24hrs a day.
It is really good money when the season is on, but when it isn't he has 60T of bloody expensive scrap metal in his yard, as most of the off-season jobs (Melb-Syd runs etc.) don't pay enough to cover his time/fuel/maintenance.
With the mining companies pulling a lot of drivers over to the West Coast, the rural sector has upped its pay, but the city areas haven't.

Honestly I don't think it would be a bad gig if you can handle the lifestyle... and the risk of a change in fuel prices taking away your pay check.
I am hoping to go for my HR license myself shortly, mostly just for chits and giggles though.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

No wukkas Adrian. Just keep an eye out. We will post up here if it comes to fruition.

Bit slow of the mark here m8, But when did you come back to AUS

Quick Reply: 2nd Riffraff Downunder Tech Weekend