Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

4000 miles in 2 weeks with my 2012 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM
dakirk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried a used EB out last week. 26k miles, left dealer w/ it got out of town & mashed the throttle, check engine light started flashing and engine started missing. Pulled over & shut off,restarted,never did it again for the 200 plus miles i drove it. Please note there was low humidity, hadn't rained for a couple days.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Montanan SD
Junior User
Hey guys I got my truck back from the dealer and they said the check engine light this time had to deal with the advance track. They replaced the control module and all is good again.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just thinking out loud, how many people use cruise control in a rainstorm. I tell my wife to absolutely never do this as if you start to hydroplane, the truck could run away from you, causing you to possibly crash.

Again not starting anything here, just saying perhaps the reason Ford did not test their trucks this way during the R&D phase was due to how unsafe it actually is to drive with cruise on while it's raining. It actually states this in the owners manual, so at least Ford covered their rear-end on the issue and any court problems that might come up due to using cruise in bad weather.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:33 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by RISUPERCREWMAN
Until all of the real world issues get worked out of the EB I'll stick to the tried & true awesome V8 offerings from Ford!

So your going to stick with the 5.4's and 4.6's then?

The ecoboost issues have at least been limited mainly to electronic stuff except of the IC. You can't say that about the 6.0, 6.4, 5.4, and 6.8 engines. It took years to work through these issues.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
royb
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
Just thinking out loud, how many people use cruise control in a rainstorm. I tell my wife to absolutely never do this as if you start to hydroplane, the truck could run away from you, causing you to possibly crash.

Again not starting anything here, just saying perhaps the reason Ford did not test their trucks this way during the R&D phase was due to how unsafe it actually is to drive with cruise on while it's raining. It actually states this in the owners manual, so at least Ford covered their rear-end on the issue and any court problems that might come up due to using cruise in bad weather.
As long as you have traction control & stability control on you won't hydroplane

Old 06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by royb
As long as you have traction control & stability control on you won't hydroplane
that will be irrelavant if you hit several inches or more of water

Old 06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
royb
Senior User
Originally Posted by Caleb1
that will be irrelavant if you hit several inches or more of water

not true at all

the ABS + traction control + stability control will not let you slide much at all

My BEST was 3 feet going steep downhill at 45mph - the CPU kills the engine and keeps the ABS working applying the correct break at each wheel to stop.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Stang5lgt
Senior User
We just picked up our 2012 FX4 EB a month and half ago. I told the wife we should go see her dad in Memphis about 1100 miles from Denver. Truck did great as long as I stayed around 75 mph was getting 18 mpg. And as we dropped closer to sea level it dropped to 17 mpg. Mods I have made are Heartthrob cat back and K&N intake. The truck has bed cover also. Once we hit Oklahoma it started to rain lightly and mileage began to suffer I noticed. About 100 miles from Little Rock Arkansas it began raining cats and dogs and at this point I was ready to be there so I was rolling 80-85mph. I would hit clusters of traffic and once I got a chance to pass I would. Then I hit a group of Chevy trucks and once there was an opening I hammered down and the truck fell on it's face and started shaking. After about 6 time it did this in an hour the CEL came on. Mileage started dropping some but only about 1.5 less mpg. We made it to Memphis and it rained the whole time we were there.

So I decide to go get an Actron pocket scanner and clear the code since I had read there is no fix for the problem yet. And rather then let Ford Dealer I am not familiar with mess with our new truck. Code erased fine but every time it would rain while we were there the light would pop back on. The last day we were there this last Tues Sep 18th it was clear skies all the way home, so we took off and truck was running great no CEL. Never had one issue. We stopped in Kansas and I picked up a broken Jeep Wrangler for a project and flat towed it. Truck it pure beast I have 7.3 PSD F250 and I rather pull with this truck then my Diesel any day. I was pulling the Wrangler I was going 85 mph and getting about 10.5 mpg.

To give you an idea how much power this engine makes after the cat back and intake I rolled up to a light and it changed green I was still going about 20 mph and I put it to the floor the truck started burning tire at that speed pulling that Jeep with the traction control on. The TC kept trying to fight the tires slipping but everytime it would let the engine have timing back it would bark tire again. LOL It did three times to about 40 mph before it stopped barking tire. I just laughed and said to my wife this truck is amazing.

Other then rain issue I am very happy with this Ecoboost truck.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by royb
not true at all

the ABS + traction control + stability control will not let you slide much at all

My BEST was 3 feet going steep downhill at 45mph - the CPU kills the engine and keeps the ABS working applying the correct break at each wheel to stop.
3 feet of water? At 45MPH? And you didn't suck water up the intake how?

Old 09-23-2012, 12:07 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's refreshing to hear some positive feedback these days for a change.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 AM
dzl4life
New User
I had the same issues but mine did not throw any codes and dealers kept professing nothing was wrong because it wasn't throwing codes.After several trips to dealers and no resolve and a few near miss accidents due to sudden loss of power I traded mine for new 6.7 Diesel. Great gas mileage on this truck and tons of power when you need it. Eco was a big disappointment and for the price tag it carries Ford needs to get on the ball and get it fixed before someone is killed in this Ecobomb

Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Richie4444
New User
Hi guys. I' getting a little concerned here. I just bought a new, 2012 F-150 Ecoboost and now I'm wondering if I made a big mistake by not going with the V/8 engine. It only has a little over 130 miles on it and I only did about 50 of those. It drives and runs great but now I am wondering what is going to happen when I get more miles on it. Hummmmm, I wonder if it's to late to take it back and get a V/8 model????? Thanks for all the good info. I had to get rid of a perfectly good 2004 150 Larait with only 70,000 miles because of a cam-phaser problem that no one could seem to solve. Now I went to the V/6 with turbos and I don't know what to expect ???????

Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
n2umr
Senior User
Expect that you bought a great engine and continue to drive it. I have 20000miles on mine and it's been teriffic!

Mark

Old 09-27-2012, 01:22 PM
quiacato
Junior User
My 2011 has 27,000 miles on it, I got it about two months ago and have put about 8,000 miles on it, probably about 1500 of those miles pulling. I have had no problems. There is a slight shudder when accelerating from a stop and when stopping sometimes ( just posted about it ).

I live in the desert so have only driven in the rain a few times but have noticed no difference. I drive in excess of 80 mph most of the time and average 19 MPG. This is the same as the 5.4 I had. I have got over 20 but that is rare. My MPGs does not really improve when going slower. I have never used CC on this truck, just dont like it.

Pulling my boat I drive 80 - 90 ( I know not the best idea but cant help it). Boat is about 4,000 pounds. I get about 10 mpgs. It is better if I go slow but trailer shakes between 60 and 70 mph. The faster I go the smoother the ride. Caught myself doing 95 last trip ... ride was smooth as could be. I use the two button hauling.

It will be interesting to see what happens this winter as we do get some pretty big storms where I live.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Richie4444
New User
The Heartthrob exhaust system

Is the Heartthrob worth changing the exhaust for and what is a good price? I see one on Ebay for $375 plus shipping. I just bought a new 2012 F150 Ecoboost and I am thinking about changing a couple things. The exhaust would be one and the intake would be the other. I had a good Airaid intake air system on my 2004 F150. I removed it before trading but it won't fit my new truck. I believe it did make a difference. Thanks

Quick Reply: 4000 miles in 2 weeks with my 2012 ecoboost