6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

external oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been researching this subject. I am in the process of a repower now. My thread is "engine removal pics". I got a couple miles outta my engine. If the 2016 can b used with this kit, sign me up. I drive this for a living and using the oem filter is mandatory because of availability. I was glad to find Vince on FTE with the same username as on an other forum. I am not registered on any other forum but here. Hey Vince, I'm sure you are very busy, but if you ever have a couple mins to chat, I would like to get some info on this kit. I will pm you. My name is Anthony, I live in Kansas City. The 100%filter sounds very nice. Is there an option to plumb in the filter without relocating the oc?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Hey Vince, my # is 8165486970. I have my engine tore down right now. I have 582 k on this truck. I put 400k on my first 6.0. I almost have a million miles in two combined 2006 6.0's. I average 1100 mi a day for about 21 days a month. I would like to chat about the kit. Is the filter cap element hand tightened. Would the coolant filter be able to be cleaned at a rest area(as long as I have some solvent on hand)? Any plans on putting pet***** on both sides of the coolant filter for cleaning. Maybe shut offs on both oil lines also to keep it clean while doing oil n filter changes???? I'm spitting ?'s now cause I might forget later. I typed this then saw you don't get messages. So I'm posting it.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
It also looks like there's a bypass oil filter kit on the pic on your website that shows the oc relocate kit installed on a psd. And the braided line coming out the front,,,it looks like its connected where the eot sensor should be at? What is it going to?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Originally Posted by turbo60
BTW you guys can see the oil temp spread on youtube. Click on the youtube link just under the product description.

IPR external oil cooler youtube link
that link is dead, but this one seems to work ok...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_sNOcNzj5I

this video kinda perplexes me tho... I-5 s/b at the 14 interchange
isn't really running uphill, it's the tail end of the decent from castaic
and is downhill.... granted, it has up and downhills, but is dropping
from 4,160 feed down to the san fernando valley

how is your oil and coolant temperatures going UP the grapevine
from bakersfield towards the summit? that'd go a long way towards
convincing me and anyone else in this part of the country about
the effectiveness of your remote cooler.

you wouldn't even have to hitch up a trailer..... just set it at 60 mph
and see where the numbers go. grapevine on an 85 degree day would
settle the question pretty quickly. southbound, that is.

if you wanted a good comparison, i've got a 6.0L van with a BPD
cooler on it, and we could load to the same rough rolling weight,
and roll the same road at the same speed, and see what numbers
showed up... i've got a dashdaq on the van and could log them,
and you've got a camera running on your temp guages......

i'd be curious to see how it worked.... PM me if you'd be interested
in finding out.....

randy

Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been following IPR's new products now for several months and have had the opportunity to personally chat with Vince several times. I continually search other forums and the net for current reviews on their products as they are fairly new designs (in particular the Gen II EGR Delete, the High Flow Coolant Filter and the Oil Cooler Relocation Kit). I think their products are great in theory and design but would like to see more feedback from "hands-on" folks about the Oil Cooler Relocation Kit.

I have already purchased their Gen II EGR Delete along with their High Flow Coolant Filter. I am on the fence about the Oil Cooler Relocation Kit. I like the idea of using the coolant to cool the oil rather than air like the BPD design. It gets cold here in the winter months and having the oil and coolant work together to get the truck up to proper operating temperatures makes a great deal of sense to me. The air cooled units could be shoving air at -40 degrees farenheit through the oil cooler in the winter months which only prolongs warm up times for me and I really do not trust a thermostat at those temperatures to handle oil flow (water yes... oil no... viscosity is quite a bit different in the two). I also like the thought of maintaining a factory delta.... now that the 15 degree delta has finally been drilled into almost everyones head... why not stay with it? The IPR kit is "supposed" to maintain those same delta specs and it allows a normal backyard mechanic to swap out an oil cooler in well under an hour with the most basic tools. What's wrong with that idea? Add to that the savings in initial cost over the Bulletproof kit and I think you have a winner...... if they can solidify the claims.

I mentioned I am not sold on the IPR Oil Cooler Relocation Kit...... There have not been enough people that have installed them and I have spoken to at least one fella who had a 50 degree difference in his deltas. This was a major red flag for me and the reason I chose to hold off until I could see more reviews on the product. Wether it was his installation that messed things up or wether it was the product itself... I do not know. He is still working on getting the problem resolved. He did say Vince at IPR was top notch as far as service goes and he said he has not been disappointed at all with the service. Here are his Youtube videos of his installation.... keep in mind they are rather lengthy.

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 1 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 2 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 3 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 4 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 5 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 6 - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 7 - YouTube

IPR Remote Oil Cooler Defect/Recall - YouTube

Powerstroke 6.0 IPR Remote Oil Cooler + High Flow Coolant Filter Install - Part 8 - YouTube

He has not got his video series complete because he has a few bugs to work out with IPR. The biggest one being the 50 degree delta which he mentioned was coming from the way he had the high flow coolant filter hooked up. Instead of running it from the heater core lines he chose to run it before it entered the oil cooler.... which makes awesome sense if you want to keep your oil cooler longer! Sounds like there is so much crud in his system however that he needs to change the coolant filter more often with this type of instal.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:24 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Nice video series. He seemed like he had some issues with the quality. I would like to see more videos. Like his startup. And the deltas.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Nice video series. He seemed like he had some issues with the quality. I would like to see more videos. Like his startup. And the deltas.
Yes.... That is exactly what I had been waiting to see. It's actually the reason I had contacted him and got the info on his situation. He's the fella experiencing the 50 degree delta right now.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM
davbeisner
Elder User
Following this, too...

Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Vince, my # is 8165486970. I have my engine tore down right now. I have 582 k on this truck. I put 400k on my first 6.0. I almost have a million miles in two combined 2006 6.0's. I average 1100 mi a day for about 21 days a month. I would like to chat about the kit. Is the filter cap element hand tightened. Would the coolant filter be able to be cleaned at a rest area(as long as I have some solvent on hand)? Any plans on putting pet***** on both sides of the coolant filter for cleaning. Maybe shut offs on both oil lines also to keep it clean while doing oil n filter changes???? I'm spitting ?'s now cause I might forget later. I typed this then saw you don't get messages. So I'm posting it.
Sorry guys some thing is terribly wrong with my account. I have not got any notifications from any of you, no PM's in my inbox either. I just finally recieved an notification yesterday 10/7/12 and several posting has gone up since. I'm usually good at responding in a timely matter. I have no issues with my powerstroke.org account.
Since I'm not a sponsor here maybe I've been blocked?
Let me get caught up here and respond to one post at a time.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
I have been researching this subject. I am in the process of a repower now. My thread is "engine removal pics". I got a couple miles outta my engine. If the 2016 can b used with this kit, sign me up. I drive this for a living and using the oem filter is mandatory because of availability. I was glad to find Vince on FTE with the same username as on an other forum. I am not registered on any other forum but here. Hey Vince, I'm sure you are very busy, but if you ever have a couple mins to chat, I would like to get some info on this kit. I will pm you. My name is Anthony, I live in Kansas City. The 100%filter sounds very nice. Is there an option to plumb in the filter without relocating the oc?
The 2016 OEM ford filter can not be used at this time unless we make a remote housing for it. The filter's that we use in this kit is a WIX filter which can be bought at any auto parts store so finding one will not be a challenge. If anyone is concerned with using a 23 micron filter on your 6.0 you may be surprise to know that the other oil cooler kits in the market uses a spin on filter that is rated at 30-35 microns. Check the part number and confirm what I'm stating.

You quoted: The 100%filter sounds very nice. Is there an option to plumb in the filter without relocating the oc

I'm assuming this is in reference to the coolant filter? If so the answer to your question is no. You can not filter the coolant 100% "before" coolant enters your OEM OC in the OEM location because the coolant is pumped directly from your engine block, through the OC housing and into your OEM OC. The IPR high flow coolant filter will filter 100% of the coolant after coolant runs through your OEM OC in the OEM location it's still much more effective than an other filter in the market.

IPR external oil cooler kit relocates the OEM oil cooler and will allow for the IPR high flow coolant filter to filter the coolant 100% "before" it enters the OEM oil cooler.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
The coolant filter element is hand tigthened, you can clean the filter with degreaser, solvent,brake cleaner etc.

I don't recommend any type of shut off valves because of restriction flow. The coolant hoses need to be routed around and between the AC hard lines and by installing valves it may interfere with the plumbing. I usually recommend using hose pliers or a strong pair of clamps to pinch the hose while you service your coolant filter. You can also drain about 1 gallon of coolant below the coolant filter level from the radiator drain valve and reuse the coolant after you're done with the cleaning the filter.
Quick disconnects and valves for the oil cooler hoses are also not recommended due to restriction. Since we use 3/4 hose for the oil cooler supply, installing a quick disconnect in a 3/4 configuration would make the female and male coupler stick out almost 4" or longer and would come in contact with the turbo. This setup would be mucho bulky!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:43 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
It also looks like there's a bypass oil filter kit on the pic on your website that shows the oc relocate kit installed on a psd. And the braided line coming out the front,,,it looks like its connected where the eot sensor should be at? What is it going to?
That particular customer had a bypass filtration system prior to installing IPR EOC kit. He was able to use his bypass filtration without any modifications by connecting it to the auxillary port on our oil filter cap.
The port on our filter cap can be used for a oil pressure gauge, bypass filtration etc.
I do not recommend mounting the sensor on the cap, it can fluctuate and give inaccurate temps. The oil temp sensor in our kit is mounted on the oil cooler exit fitting.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM
turbo60
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl
that link is dead, but this one seems to work ok...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_sNOcNzj5I

this video kinda perplexes me tho... I-5 s/b at the 14 interchange
isn't really running uphill, it's the tail end of the decent from castaic
and is downhill.... granted, it has up and downhills, but is dropping
from 4,160 feed down to the san fernando valley

how is your oil and coolant temperatures going UP the grapevine
from bakersfield towards the summit? that'd go a long way towards
convincing me and anyone else in this part of the country about
the effectiveness of your remote cooler.

you wouldn't even have to hitch up a trailer..... just set it at 60 mph
and see where the numbers go. grapevine on an 85 degree day would
settle the question pretty quickly. southbound, that is.

if you wanted a good comparison, i've got a 6.0L van with a BPD
cooler on it, and we could load to the same rough rolling weight,
and roll the same road at the same speed, and see what numbers
showed up... i've got a dashdaq on the van and could log them,
and you've got a camera running on your temp guages......

i'd be curious to see how it worked.... PM me if you'd be interested
in finding out.....

randy
This video was shot on the 5SB coming from Castaic. Starting at Wiley Canyon is the grade that leads up to the 14 interchange and into the San Fernando Valley.
Coming from Castaic it's a slight decend, starting from Magic Mtn Parkway just before you hit Lyons is a grade, from Lyon to Wiley Canyon is fairly flat, then from Wiley Canyon up to to the 14 interchange is where this video was shot. Oil temps do start to climb when approaching the hills starting at Magic Mtn parkway, although there are a few flat spots there are more uphills than flat. Towing a load on the flats still makes the oil temps stay higher than normal because of the load. In reality the truck never really gets much of a cool down going down hill and running the flats while towing. The effects of running uphill and towing the trailer puts more load on the oil than it has a chance to cool down for that short amount of time when the truck is going down hill and running on the flats.

Sending you a PM.
Just in case I don't get your reply please email me at vince@iprresearch.com

Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Originally Posted by turbo60
The 2016 OEM ford filter can not be used at this time unless we make a remote housing for it. The filter's that we use in this kit is a WIX filter which can be bought at any auto parts store so finding one will not be a challenge. If anyone is concerned with using a 23 micron filter on your 6.0 you may be surprise to know that the other oil cooler kits in the market uses a spin on filter that is rated at 30-35 microns. Check the part number and confirm what I'm stating.

You quoted: The 100%filter sounds very nice. Is there an option to plumb in the filter without relocating the oc

I'm assuming this is in reference to the coolant filter? If so the answer to your question is no. You can not filter the coolant 100% "before" coolant enters your OEM OC in the OEM location because the coolant is pumped directly from your engine block, through the OC housing and into your OEM OC. The IPR high flow coolant filter will filter 100% of the coolant after coolant runs through your OEM OC in the OEM location it's still much more effective than an other filter in the market.

IPR external oil cooler kit relocates the OEM oil cooler and will allow for the IPR high flow coolant filter to filter the coolant 100% "before" it enters the OEM oil cooler.
How about just filtering, even if its not pre cooler. I like the looks of the egr delete plate. I would like to get the egr plate and the high flow coolant filter but not the oc relocation kit. The oil cooler isn't too bad to change. Plus I'm getting an extra cooler with my new engine.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
I would love to see this kit. How could it not work? All you are doing is taking the oil cooler out of the engine, and remote mounting it. If anything I would think without the block temperatures, it would actually run a degree or 2 cooler. I definitely could be wrong, but sure seems to be a good concept.

Quick Reply: external oil cooler