Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

California or Bust! Long odds and good times!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by flainn
Dude, why don't you knock it off? Most people don't appreciate being called liars, and you've got no reason to be making accusations.
Holy crap, what in the world are you talking about? I meant it in the sense that it sounds outlandish like when something crazy happens and you ask yourself "did that just really happen?" or "did I say that out loud"? You don't know me from anyone else here "bro", so I would say the one making accusations might need to make a self check. Never ever insinuated Linus was a liar, but definitely agree that he shows up when in need....seems to me that's pretty far from being called a liar.

Back on point, good luck Linus....use public transit and get that job that is being offered to you. You would be out of your mind to not make that a #1 priority.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ihateminimumwage
Going to be pretty blunt here...
I would recommend you do what you can to get over to where your insanely well paying job offer is. Obviously the truck isn't worth the trouble if it can't get you 35 miles down the road. I've lived in LA, the public transit will get you anywhere you need to go. Scrap it, send back the parts you were loaned from the good folks here, and make it work with the money you have, or can get from letting the rig go.

I lived in a homeless camp under a bridge for a while around 10 years ago, worked my *** off delivering fridges 6 days a week, and after couch surfing at folks' places, got my own place, and have only gone up from there. A vehicle you are struggling with will hold you back far more than help you in your current situation. I've known a few friends that have spent some time in LA jail, and from what I've been told it wouldn't be wished on anybody.

I'm glad you came back on here to let people know how you are doing, but seeing as you're once again asking for advice since the truck isn't running, it does come across as you returning with nothing but need again. I honestly hope the best for you in your adventures, but don't burn bridges by being a person that is always asking for help.
What he said....it's the American way.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Holy crap, what in the world are you talking about? I meant it in the sense that it sounds outlandish like when something crazy happens and you ask yourself "did that just really happen?" or "did I say that out loud"? You don't know me from anyone else here "bro", so I would say the one making accusations might need to make a self check. Never ever insinuated Linus was a liar, but definitely agree that he shows up when in need....seems to me that's pretty far from being called a liar.
What am I talking about? To give you an idea of why I reacted the way I did, let's go back through your recent posts in this thread.

September 2:
I don't mean to be a dick, but it has been 2 weeks since we heard from this guy after him posting several times a day when he needed help. Now we just don't hear from him at all?! I at least hope he has contacted those who went way out of their way with time and $$ to send him stuff and help him get on the road. I dunno....seems kinda of typical of a dude that leeches and then bales out. I may be wrong, but I think I am right.

Glad you made it to California Linus, but I hope you remember how you got here in the first place and pay it forward.
September 10:
I dunno guys. I check this thread every few days thinking ol' Linus might get back on here and give some sort of update. I am thinking he got what he needed and jumped ship. Pretty low if you ask me. It really bugs me when people help a guy out and then they bail.
Then, when he shows back up and provides a plausible explanation of why he's been gone, here's how you respond:

What he said. I guess I am wondering though.....did all of this really happen?
Note no smiley or anything else to indicate you were kidding.

It sounded to me for all the world that you were accusing him of lying about why he had been gone, and I had a problem with that.

If you weren't accusing him of that, then no problem. But you might want to work a little harder on making it clear you're kidding when you say such things.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Ok, I'll make sure I am more clear so you can feel better about the things I say. No problem.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Ok, I'll make sure I am more clear so you can feel better about the things I say. No problem.
I guess it was probably just a misunderstanding on my part.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:48 PM
cornking
Senior User
How is Cali treating you? Aren't all the women beautiful and very plentiful? Have y'all learned any Spanish yet?

Did you ever make it to Baldwin Park?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Maybe he's in jail again?

Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He might be. Last we heard he was trying to get to a job 30 miles away and the truck would not stay running. I suggested a new lift pump. Not sure what he's up to now.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM
lio45
Senior User
I hope he's in Baldwin Park making cabinets for $30/h... that's exactly what he went west for. There are plenty of simple ways to travel 30 miles. Worst case, leave the truck somewhere for the time being, and it's a day's walk. I would absolutely never ever even think of letting a day's walk keep me from a $30/h job offer if I were in his situation.

Interestingly enough, his profile says "Last Activity: Today 07:36 PM". But he didn't pop in here to say hi.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 AM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lio45
I hope he's in Baldwin Park making cabinets for $30/h... that's exactly what he went west for. There are plenty of simple ways to travel 30 miles. Worst case, leave the truck somewhere for the time being, and it's a day's walk. I would absolutely never ever even think of letting a day's walk keep me from a $30/h job offer if I were in his situation.

Interestingly enough, his profile says "Last Activity: Today 07:36 PM". But he didn't pop in here to say hi.
Case in point.

After I got divorced I returned to the Chicago area from Truckee CA with my 69 Marquis convertible, a trunkload of tools and back seat full of clothes. I found my mom and younger brother and sister in the final stages of being evicted from a small apartment, mom was working but unable to keep up with the bills. So I sold the Merc, put down a security deposit and 1st months rent at a bigger place for them and immediately scored a gut rehab project on a historic home in Hyde Park near the University of Chicago. In the dead of winter, I lugged 4 really heavy tool boxes on a combination of 3 bus lines, a train and about a mile and a half of walking every day for about 4 months to complete the project. Couldn't leave the tools at the site due to the risk of theft.
As a result, the project was featured in the homelife section of the Chicago SunTimes newspaper, I had saved enough for a down payment on a Toyota truck, bought a radial arm saw and got a slew of referrals.
Not praising myself as this, I would assume, was just a matter of doing what you gotta do.
I, too, would have walked 30 miles to secure a good paying job, particularly in light of the circumstances.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
I've seen the truck pop up in LA CL ads, specifically 'auto parts' a few times. Been a few days since I saw it last, though.

Mike

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo
I've seen the truck pop up in LA CL ads, specifically 'auto parts' a few times. Been a few days since I saw it last, though.

Mike
Well, if he sells it as parts, I hope I at least get my IP back.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:19 PM
cornking
Senior User

Mike
That could have been my ad. Ho-ray, it sold 3 days ago.

I was about 5 miles from Linus when he was stuck in Arleta. I offered to take him the 30 miles to Baldwin Park. Never heard from him. I hope he is OK.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:13 PM
lio45
Senior User

Mike
You're totally right... out of curiosity, I checked, and it was easy enough to find:

1990 FORD F250 7.3 DIESEL WORK TRUCK

There's also another version that's two days older:

1990 FORD F250 7.3 DIESEL WORK TRUCK

IMO he's asking too much... I wouldn't pay that much for that truck, even though I know the IP and injectors have been replaced recently :-P

Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cornking
That could have been my ad. Ho-ray, it sold 3 days ago.

I was about 5 miles from Linus when he was stuck in Arleta. I offered to take him the 30 miles to Baldwin Park. Never heard from him. I hope he is OK.

No, I recognized yours. You had the all-white supercab longbed with the head issues, right?

Mike

Quick Reply: California or Bust! Long odds and good times!