Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

California or Bust! Long odds and good times!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM
linus72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ALSO
IF ANY OF YOU GUYS ARE NEAR ME (LA) AND NEED WORK DONE AROUND YOUR HOUSE i COULD REALLY USE THE MONEY!

I DONT CARE IF ITS SWEEPING THE FLOOR, MUCKING OUT STALLS, PAINTING, CABINETS, ANYTHING!!

TRIED DAY LABOR BUT CANT GET OUT AS IM NEW
GOT EBT FROM CALIFORNIA BUT NEED MONEY!
NEED WORK!

WHAT AN ADVENTURE SO FAR, REMINDS ME OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD SONG

"WHAT A LONG, STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN!"
LOL

Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Glad to here from you, I wondered about the CHP here, they are looking for revenue. Sorry about the miss hap. Hope it gets better soon. God bless,

Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
holy crap - just this morning I was thinking of posting a response saying to not be too hard on you as without proof that you just up and left the group, it's entirely possible that you could have been involved in an accident somewhere along the way or numerous other reasons.

Didn't actually expect it was exactly what happened though!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM
lio45
Senior User
Originally Posted by linus72
also have a $30/hr job offer in Baldwin Park but it's 35 miles away so probably cant get there
If I were you, I'd make sure I don't miss out on that job offer... leave the truck somewhere around where you currently are, find a way to get there on a one-way trip and settle there for that $30/hr job. That'd be a lot better than having to beg for floors to sweep.

Thanks for letting us know what you're up to! Interesting stories... Wish you the best of luck!!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by lio45
If I were you, I'd make sure I don't miss out on that job offer... leave the truck somewhere around where you currently are, find a way to get there on a one-way trip and settle there for that $30/hr job. That'd be a lot better than having to beg for floors to sweep.

Thanks for letting us know what you're up to! Interesting stories... Wish you the best of luck!!
What he said. I guess I am wondering though.....did all of this really happen? Ah well, good luck. That job should be your first priority. And $30 an hour doing what? I know people with Masters degrees that can't get a $10 an hour job, let alone 30?!! That's about $62k a year. Good God man, don't be dumb. Find a way to go 35 miles, even if by bus. You could buy another truck in about a month or so.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 PM
ihateminimumwage
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going to be pretty blunt here...
I would recommend you do what you can to get over to where your insanely well paying job offer is. Obviously the truck isn't worth the trouble if it can't get you 35 miles down the road. I've lived in LA, the public transit will get you anywhere you need to go. Scrap it, send back the parts you were loaned from the good folks here, and make it work with the money you have, or can get from letting the rig go.

I lived in a homeless camp under a bridge for a while around 10 years ago, worked my *** off delivering fridges 6 days a week, and after couch surfing at folks' places, got my own place, and have only gone up from there. A vehicle you are struggling with will hold you back far more than help you in your current situation. I've known a few friends that have spent some time in LA jail, and from what I've been told it wouldn't be wished on anybody.

I'm glad you came back on here to let people know how you are doing, but seeing as you're once again asking for advice since the truck isn't running, it does come across as you returning with nothing but need again. I honestly hope the best for you in your adventures, but don't burn bridges by being a person that is always asking for help.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 AM
BrO-J
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what's the job and where in Baldwin Park? Is it possible to sleep in the truck within walking distance of the job?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BBslider001
What he said. I guess I am wondering though.....did all of this really happen?
Dude, why don't you knock it off? Most people don't appreciate being called liars, and you've got no reason to be making accusations.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM
linus72
Senior User
OH yes it all happened BBslider001!

I'll try to post the tickets once I get near a printer/copier!!

I am going to owe so much money it's not even right man!

And the worst part of the LA jail system is you almost have to join a gang once they put you in there- you can be in the mexi gang, the black gang, the asian gang, or the white gang....obviously I chose the white gang!

the wreck wasn't even my fault yet I got all kinds of charges because of the blightd juice in the back! Was saving some good veggie for when I got a warrantied IP but oh well!

$30 an hour doing cabinet installs and yes you could say I have a Master's in that field- 15 years experience in all forms of cabinetry and fine furniture construction.
That's why I came here guys remember?
In Va I might get $20/hr if I'm lucky and live near Northern Va.

And there aint no Pacific ocean in Va....

The truck stopped the black smoke once I left woodland, no smoke now except white smoke if I hit the throttle hard....

The problem with just selling/scrapping the truck is all my possessions are in it!
Lots of stuff.

I can baby to Baldwin Park I'm sure...

Wonderin if the damaged steering is making it cut-out?
There is some damage to the power steering and when I turn it kind of clunks and is hardto steer..

I am so grateful for the help you guys have given me, especially Eaton and CharlesWood, because without your help and advice this trip would not have been possible.

I have no reason to lie or try to scam anyone- I am inexperienced with diesels and so I ask alot of questions- I also contribute anything I have learned when posting on other's threads but because I am inexperienced I don't want to give anyone bad advice.

Also, I never asked anyone for IP or injectors- they did this out of their own good hearts and they will be repaid in kind as soon as I can do it- that is my word.

I love Ford, I love my truck, and it would seem dumb to now sell my truck for very little money and then have to buy another one at high california price!
I will only sell it if I have to- right now it is also my home.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help and generosity!
I am trying very hard and this trip has not been easy nor did I really expect it to go this way!

In the end I will prevail, especially if I can land a good job

I also had to pawn all my tools once I got the truck back so I may have to start at a lower helper wage till I get my tools back.

I do not know why the truck is acting funny right now, bad lift pump or air or what I dont know. Right after I got over Donner Pass it started acting up- dying when letting off throttle, etc

But, the Blue Brick made it to California, with lots of help, and now I hope to finally get this adventure into high gear!

I haven't even seen the beach yet man!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 AM
BrO-J
Junior User
Once you get on your feet try to join Carpenters Union Local 721 in whittier so you can do the installs for a Union shop making $40.00 per hour. If you need help getting to Baldwin park hit me up. I have AAA with 100 mile towing or I can put your rig on my trailer and get you there.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Hell of an adventure, I would say. At least you are still alive. Post some pictures of how bad the truck is damaged. You may not want to drive it if the steering is messed up.

Buy and install a new lift pump. I think that is your issue. The ATF is thicker than D2, so it is more easily pulled into the IP via the internal pump. Check for fuel pressure at the schrader valve and check your engine oil for fuel.

If that doesn't work and you need to go 35 miles badly, then do the following. Find a way to get 4 gallons of engine oil new or used. A small shop may give you the oil for free. Make sure it is clean oil and not mixed with water, antifreeze, or brake fluid. Used ATF will work, too. Mix 1 gallon D2 and 4 gallons oil. Get some fuel line and run it to a 5 gallon gas can with the mix in it. You can T in the return line to the supply line before the lift pump or you can run it into the gas can. Assuming you have a good lift pump and the truck will only run on thick fuel, this should work.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
linus72
Senior User
Hey Eaton!

i will try it!

Seems it will only start with thicker fuel and a little starting fluid
checked GP's and they work as they are new...

Wondering if there isnt an issue with the pipe that goes from the filter head to the IP
when I loosened it and then retightened it i still kind of flops around
maybe an air leak as the rubber thing is worn out?

thicker fuel may stop the air leak allowing it to start?
will try to put some teflon tape around rubber ring and see if that helps....

will post pics when I get new phone, other cell was lost during wreck somehow
also lost some tools,etc as stuff went flying everywhere

but, 6,000lb truck at 60+ and it didnt roll when I went off road!
I was very lucky actually!

drivers out here are idiots too- they dash around in front of my truck, dont use turn signals, etc, cut people off...not like va

I think lift pump is worn too- get lots of spurts when I crack lines- some spurts jump 5-6inches but wont pop injectors unless I fill filter with oil/atf??

I think IP is good but maybe maladjusted-
throttle lever drops all the way down to rest on solenoid so I had to superglue a piece of cardboard on it to stop it....tried to up idle with screw but doesnt seem to help either...mmm

my throttle cable may also be suspect- seems it may have had a plastic piece inside spring but that has disentegrated and is gone so throttle cable is kind of bent where the spring is...

power steering is big concern- it now leaks badly and groans even when full.

at least it still runs

to BrO-J, thanks for your offer!
seems you just joined the forum??

as soon as I can I will let you know.

supposedly the state gives people in trouble like $200 in foodstamps and $200 in cash, I got the foodstamps but no cash so far- I can see why cali is so broke-
all the mexicans drive new cars and are getting foodstamps and cash from the state!!
I saw at least a hundred of them arrive at the social services with new cars and leaving with EBT cards and other assistance?!?!

the other problem I see here is the scavenging- bottles, cans, etc are worth money here so they lock up all the trash and the homeless and mexi's break into the garbage cans all the time?!

I bet cali didnt used to be this way- it's a shame really
went to Hollywood and there's trash everywhere!
Can't believe such an affluent place has so much trash, etc everywhere
it's like a giant ghetto!

and all the mexicans look at me like I'm in the wrong country?!
wtf!

Oh yeah, I bet I could get some used motor oil easy and free
last time I ran UMO truck wouldn't go over 50mph for like a month...lol

Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Don't put Teflon tape anywhere near the lines going to the IP. If it finds its way into the IP, you will be needing another one.

Yes, you need to adjust the IP when you install it. I assume you already figured out how to adjust the TPS. You may need to screw in the high idle solenoid and adjust the idle screw.

If you run clean WMO, you should be fine. With Diesel, it can be 50/50. Mix in a little gasoline at 15% if you don't use D2. Since the truck doesn't want to run on D2, you may have to thicken the recipe. Left pump comes first, though.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM
cornking
Senior User
I am in Granada Hills now, not far from Arleta. Like Bro-J I can help you get somewhere if needed. Just send me a PM

Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM
vfelix702
Laughing Gas

Welcome back linus!!! Glad to here your ok after your wreck and white gang ininattion in lock up... its good to hear from you

Quick Reply: California or Bust! Long odds and good times!