Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

California or Bust! Long odds and good times!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 05:54 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
8-10 sec. cold sounds about right for a system that may have one bad plug. Should be enough to start it unless your around 32* or so. If you have to, cycle them twice and start it as soon as the light goes off. On the 87 and up systems the click, click,click after the light goes out is the after glow and is correct.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like with the batteries being dead, the starter is not turning the engine fast enough to start it. If you have leaky valves or rings, it will make the starting worse because you are losing compression. The WMO definitely doesn't help the starting situation. WD-40 should have some effect on firing the engine off if it is being turned fast enough.

Keep us updated. Interested to know what happened.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM
linus72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK
gonna get a $10 battery from junkyard guy named Billy this morning, will see if it will start.

made it approx 2,200 miles on veggie and red diesel and I really think the elevation here may also be an issue.

on straight diesel from here to Cali should I get it going

gotta take a picture of the hacked return fuel line too so yall can see it, still no leaks

cant wait to get ole Bucephalus the Blue Brick going again

gets really cold here at night, like in the 40-50's!, will plug in truck for about an hour before I try it.

If it does start I may not turn it off till I reach destination, lol!

report back soon guys, thanks so much!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
38Chevy454
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So you are still planning to do the work at the mechanic's house before you go? Be nice to have a bit of money in your pocket to get you to final CA desitnation and have some money to hold over until the new job paychecks start flowing in.

Glad to hear that your problems are not anything major engine damage. Stick to the regular diesel fuel for the rest of the trip!

Old 07-29-2012, 04:38 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by cornking
I have a 5 speed. I get a little vibration at 15mph and a lot at 55mph. You can feel it in the stick and through the floorboards. I took the truck to Obi Won Kenobi today and should find out the problem in the next day or two.
I would not come to Cali for work. The California dream is DEAD. I lived here for 20 years and it is a f__ked up state. Plus you have a hefty state income tax.

Save yourself some fuel and stop in TX. There is work there, money flowing, and beaches on the gulf coast. The Texas women are sweeter than CA girls and just as pretty.
I gotta say, I am from the Southern CA area and this is absolute BS. I am so sick of hearing how f'ed up the state is. I went to Texas for a year to go to Paramedic school. I could not get back here fast enough! The whole idea of CA being so much more expensive than anywhere else was true 10 years ago, but not today. My rent here is $750 monthly for a pretty nice little house, plus utilities. Diesel or gas here is only ten cents more AT MOST, than TX....and as far as food, any Wal Mart is going to be priced the same nationally. You can choose cheap or expensive living anywhere you go, so all of the touting is only that.....TOUTING. Do not let the dream killers tell you otherwise. Those people are the first to gripe about PC and yet the first to gripe about being offended by the truth. And the comment about TX women vs. CA women. What do you base that on? Any truth at all or just conjecture?

Now do I want more people coming to the great state of California, especially form the east coast and f-ing it up here? Absolutely not, but the truth remains....there is work to be found, a lot of the state's problems are global, not just state. So, enjoy, do what you can and be happy. Life is just too short to deviate form your own path. Oh, and.....nice truck btw Enjoy the ride....just don't throw your cig butts in the ocean when you get here and be thankful that you have the freedom to go where ever you want....'nuff said.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:00 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mechelement
My company is building workforce housing for the ND oil fields as well as hotels, motels, multi and single family. Throw some restaurants into the mix within the hotels. All modular. Believe me, that will dry up. As far as California, they've budgeted poorly. Whenever there's rapid growth or boom anywhere and the locals, including its municipality, takes advantage of it, there will be a plunder, it's only a matter of time. Boise, ID experienced this the very second Californians were tired of paying ever escalating prices for property here. The locals brought it upon themselves by charging evermore. ND is different since it has black gold, but once it's shut down, sanctioned or dried up, all of those towns will shrivel once again. Local economies tend to follow a sine wave graph (convex and concave curves) just like the global economy. Local economies are less stable, depending on location. Right now we're building a MASSIVE project for San Jose and I'm working on a major project for Los Angeles' Skidrow. The San Jose job is private funding and the Skidrow job is funded from three different sectors of government levels.

Is the "$80k in 6 months" a gross revenue number? What do you do for a living? Do you have your own business and is it a skilled trades business? I'm extremely familiar with wages and COL in the Williston, Tioga, Dickinson (AKA Bakken) areas. I've dealt with lots of subs there. Hell, half of them we had to have go there from other states. We're getting geared-up to go under contract for another 1000 person workforce housing project.

I'm not saying not to go for it and get it while its good though! Hell, I worked overseas for a massive DoD contractor for 5 years during the Afghanistan/Iraq conflict.
Finally someone speaks the REAL reality. Saying CA is dead is just ignorant at best. I find it funny that when I returned, there were more jobs AND construction going on everywhere in the SD county areas. Again, if it is your path, follow it. No one else can live your life for you. And for the record, I was broke as a joke in Texas and trying to make it to support my family. Here in CA, I am actually getting ahead!! For what its worth, life is short....enjoy it and try to make the best decisions possible.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:02 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bc4x4f250
Brother,

You are a very wishful thinker... moving to anywhere in California with no job in-hand is financial suicide!

There are NO jobs in California! There will be NO jobs for the next decade!

We are absolutely on the brink of financial Armageddon across this whole state. The state government is broke, plenty of county and local governments are either in or going down the toilet within the next 12 months.

Thinking of living on the beach as a last resort... sounds cool, a little romantic, and very wistful thinking. You do realize that the vast majority of homeless out here, especially anywhere near any beach, is either mentally ill or a - de facto - drug addict/alcoholic, right? As well, you'll find your fair share of felons on the beach - hoping to prey on gullible folks (especially tourists).

Here is an example of why California is toast; If you earn $45,000 per year you are in the top tax bracket for personal income. It doesn't matter if earn $45,000 or $1,000,000,000, you still pay the same rate.

We have (+/-) 12% of the U.S. population yet we have 1/3 (+/-) of ALL welfare subjects in the nation. Yes, if you are poor California is the place to settle.

There are ZERO manufacturers heading to California... Z-E-R-O! On average, at least five corporations (with 50+ employees) are either leaving the state or shutting down) every week.

We now have a negative growth in population... this is the first time in almost fifty years that this has occurred. The employment picture is so dire that even illegal aliens are going back home. Plenty of those illegal aliens were ones that sought out day jobs at the local Home Depot (like cabinet makers).

We have damn-near the highest tax in ANY category you wish to discuss... Diesel pricing? Paid $4.26gal in Camarillo on Friday. It's pretty much the same for gas (paid $3.879 at Costco on Saturday).

And your views on women... First, there are big women everywhere! California is not some damn television show... Sure, there are plenty more of them, but if you think you have the game to hook up with hot chicks driving a veggie-fueled pickup, without a job or decent abode you are sorely mistaken. That is, unless you like the kind of female that prefers to grow hair under her armpits, hugs trees, and thinks whales are more important than humans (yeah, she'll dig your "economical" fuel conservation - until she discusses your "carbon footprint").

But hey. I don't want to burst your bubble... you only live once, so go for it. Then again, I would keep a road map of Texas around, even the Dakotas. As well, I would make absolutely sure to up my AAA auto club membership to the Premium (isn't that around $100yr)... The cheapest AAA membership gets you - what - 7 miles of free towing? Which is about 50 miles from nowhere on plenty of our interstates [Get the package that will provide you with a free 250 mile tow!].

Again, enjoy your trip, be safe, and just make California something you can scratch off on your bucket list (but don't you dare think to make it home - if you wish to have cash on-hand at the end of the day).

- Someone who has lived in (Southern) California, on and off, for almost 40 years... someone who has an exit plan, and is looking forward to the day.

California; it was fun while it lasted, but it's over [for at least a decade]...

only half truths spoken here....

Old 07-29-2012, 11:21 PM
linus72
Senior User
hey guys strange things with the GP's?

If I unplug a couple on one side the light stays on awhile and is bright, if I unplug some from the other side light either doesn't come on at all or only for like 2 sec?

The "broken" GP is unhooked at all times, broken meaning it doesn't register on resistance.

All other GP's come up to .30 resistance...

Also, my NEG battery cable is getting very hot and even smoking when trying to get a jump or just trying to crank it over?

Do I have a short somewhere I can't find?

Could the GP relay be bad and causing a short?

Still haven't got it started cause I can't find truck battery for less than $140 here?!

Got a car battery from junkyard for $10 but it's not cranking it fast enough so no start...

Wish I could get the beast started otherwise most of the money I would get from the diesel mech for working on his house will go to him repairing it.

Should be done with his house hopefully by Wed

Of course I have never really believed the jive about Cali being a bad place for work- anyone in the service industry should easily be able to find a niche almost anywhere in the world, no matter the trade.

Please guys I need info about the GP relay and where this short or whatever may be coming from?

thanks for all the help and positive waves!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:20 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Finally someone speaks the REAL reality. Saying CA is dead is just ignorant at best. I find it funny that when I returned, there were more jobs AND construction going on everywhere in the SD county areas. Again, if it is your path, follow it. No one else can live your life for you. And for the record, I was broke as a joke in Texas and trying to make it to support my family. Here in CA, I am actually getting ahead!! For what its worth, life is short....enjoy it and try to make the best decisions possible.
what ever ur snoking i want some to this state is dead

Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 AM
lio45
Senior User
Couldn't you simply bypass that relay and power up the glow plugs manually for now?

(Remove it, and bridge the two contacts for the GP circuit with a wire for a certain number of seconds with the key at "run", and you'll get your GP to work... right...?)

Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM
linus72
Senior User
ok
which wires exactly do I remove and use to make the GP circuit manual guys?
please help

Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
lio45
Senior User
I'm not near my 7.3 IDI at the moment so I can't open my own hood and look... (daily driver for a while has been my Chevy 6.5TD, modded to run on 100% WVO, so the Ford is sitting in storage for now)

...but, in general, the relay should have two pairs of pins or legs.

When you apply voltage to one pair, it bridges the other pair.

With your multimeter, you should be able to see which pair is which by removing the relay, and putting the key in "run". There's likely to be a 12V voltage diff. between the pins of one of the two pairs in which the relay normally is installed. (Or maybe you can figure it out by following the wires... I have no idea what that looks like).

The other pair is the one you should attempt to bridge...

How 12-Volt Relays Work | eHow.com

I've never done it, and I don't know what kind of juice the GP can suck up, so maybe wear gloves or use a coated wire... and be cautious... if your wire is too small, it might get hot really quickly! But I don't think you can damage anything by trying this.

JMO, of course. Maybe you'd better wait for someone else to chime in with their opinions if you'd rather be 100% on the safe side (not your style, I know)...

Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
If I were in your situation and my GP relay was acting up this is what I would do:

Trace the power wire to the GP relay coming off the fender solenoid.
Disconnect only the GP controller power lead from fender solenoid.
Put key in run position.
Check FSS is working and getting power.
With air pan off, shoot a VERY small shot of starting fluid into intake from 12" away.
Jump the two large posts on the fender solenoid with a screw driver.
Engine should start.
Replace air pan.
Don't shut it down until you get to Cali.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
linus72
Senior User
here's pic of macgwyvered return line after breaking it

no leaks and seems to be working

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
lemonshindig
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by eatont9999
If I were in your situation and my GP relay was acting up this is what I would do:

Trace the power wire to the GP relay coming off the fender solenoid.
Disconnect only the GP controller power lead from fender solenoid.
Put key in run position.
Check FSS is working and getting power.
With air pan off, shoot a VERY small shot of starting fluid into intake from 12" away.
Jump the two large posts on the fender solenoid with a screw driver.
Engine should start.
Replace air pan.
Don't shut it down until you get to Cali.
This should work. He wants you to disconnect the glow plugs because if you mix glow plugs and starter fluid bad things will happen.

Quick Reply: California or Bust! Long odds and good times!