6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Folding Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,360 Likes on 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
I love reading manuals..
I admire people like you and I really mean that. I will research for hours and love reading technical jargon, but often find myself looking for stuff digitally when I could RTFM in 5 minutes. I should really learn to RTFM more often. I'm just a figure it out on my own kind of dummy.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'm a hybrid then as I love reading digital manuals only (when I have time !)
paper is so, so passe !

Unfortunately I still haven't read all the owners manual even though it's a soft copy - rather come on here and ask you smart people !

Love that Ford has all their manuals online, wish Audi did it, but they are so tight they want you to buy hard copies !!!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Paper manuals makr great bathroom reading lol

Old 05-21-2012, 04:25 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

My 08 folded at same speed until one was manually open on an occassion. I played with re-syncing, etc. to no avail.

My 12 have folded at different speed since new. My passenger mirror (other than the right side version vs. left) is different on the bottom than the driver's side. The passenger mirror has a small recessed section on the bottom outside under the mirrors. The driver's side is smooth on the bottom like both were on the 08.

Bob

Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the topic of folding mirrors, has anyone lubed their mirrors? My passenger mirror has made a squeeking sound since I bought the truck in December. Have not had time to take it to the dealer for anything other than a bad sirius module and I forgot about the mirror while I was there. Do you think you could just squirt some lithium grease in the hinges? It doesn't seem to be dragging, just makes the squeeking noise when it first starts to fold.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
they shouldnt need any lube. id ask your dealer/service writer

Old 06-23-2012, 09:23 AM
jpollesc
New User
The power fold feature on my mirror has quit working completely. The motor will run and make a popping sound when attempting to fold or unfold. have tried a a few dozen cycles to manually realign with no success. The truck is out of warranty and the dealer wants $700 to replace the entire mirror assembly.

Has anyone taken one of these apart? Wondering if there is a drawing out there that shows the cam/motor assembly?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Docindahouze
yes mine is the same way. passenger side is always faster when folding and unfolding. it's okay though for me as long they work proper.
The passenger side has less travel distance as its at a slightly smaller angle away from the truck.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Went through a car wash once and left mine out - it beat up on the mirrors (don't go to that wash anymore, but also fold them in now during car wash and anytime I'm parked to stop people from forcing them...!)

I heard popping, etc... and they wouldn't work for a couple of days...
then I guess I hit the right number of tries and it 'reconnected'...

maybe you can move them manually very gently and try that ?

or is your neighbor you have a beef with banging them closed each day ?

you could always go to a salvage yard to see if any or available through their locator service...

Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jpollesc
The power fold feature on my mirror has quit working completely. The motor will run and make a popping sound when attempting to fold or unfold. have tried a a few dozen cycles to manually realign with no success. The truck is out of warranty and the dealer wants $700 to replace the entire mirror assembly.

Has anyone taken one of these apart? Wondering if there is a drawing out there that shows the cam/motor assembly?

Thanks
$700 bucks? I stopped by a body shop a few months ago to see if they could paint match the entire mirror housing, they said they wouldn't even try because each mirror was $1100 and didn't want to risk breaking or damaging one. Never validated that, but I guess if a stealership is only charging $700, they can't be that bad.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RM2738
The passenger side has less travel distance as its at a slightly smaller angle away from the truck.
I just put a True Angle on a 2008 and my 2010, the Passenger side mirror is 59 degrees and the driver side is 70 degrees. Identicle on two different trucks. Anyone else notice this?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 AM
mikespecht
Senior User
I know this is off the subject a little but I think these mirrors are built very well. About a week after I pulled my truck off the lot, well really my wife I guess pulled it off the lot because she couldn’t drive a 5 speed car that I drove to look at trucks. But anyways, I was on a two lane narrow city road with road construction and met an eighteen wheeler coming at me which took up more than his share of the road, right at the same time there was a road construction sign in my lane. So I was faced with either hitting the sign with my mirror or going head on with a tractor trailer loaded hauling gravel. I ended up hitting the passenger side mirror with the sign at around 45 mph. The impact made the glass fall from the assembly and the chrome piece pop off also. When I say chrome piece I know not all truck have that part, it’s the top part of the leading edge of the assembly if you have whatever package. I was able to snap the glass, and the chrome cap back in after I picked them up. The chrome piece had a very small crack in it that you can’t see once it was reinstalled. All the electric controls work fine and I must say the folding option gets used almost every time I park. That was over a year ago and it’s still going strong. When I hit the sign it also moved the whole mirror assembly in towards the truck, but one cycle and it realigned itself.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:17 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mikespecht
I know this is off the subject a little but I think these mirrors are built very well. About a week after I pulled my truck off the lot, well really my wife I guess pulled it off the lot because she couldn’t drive a 5 speed car that I drove to look at trucks. But anyways, I was on a two lane narrow city road with road construction and met an eighteen wheeler coming at me which took up more than his share of the road, right at the same time there was a road construction sign in my lane. So I was faced with either hitting the sign with my mirror or going head on with a tractor trailer loaded hauling gravel. I ended up hitting the passenger side mirror with the sign at around 45 mph. The impact made the glass fall from the assembly and the chrome piece pop off also. When I say chrome piece I know not all truck have that part, it’s the top part of the leading edge of the assembly if you have whatever package. I was able to snap the glass, and the chrome cap back in after I picked them up. The chrome piece had a very small crack in it that you can’t see once it was reinstalled. All the electric controls work fine and I must say the folding option gets used almost every time I park. That was over a year ago and it’s still going strong. When I hit the sign it also moved the whole mirror assembly in towards the truck, but one cycle and it realigned itself.
That's impressive.

Anyone come up with a way to live the gears for the mirrors? I'm noticing mine are starting to squeak and stick occasionally.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2horses
My passenger mirror moves faster, both folding and unfolding, than the driver's side does - anyone else have this?
Mine were at the same speed, unitl they replaced the passenger side. Now it is the speedy one.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:48 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Originally Posted by RM2738
I just put a True Angle on a 2008 and my 2010, the Passenger side mirror is 59 degrees and the driver side is 70 degrees. Identicle on two different trucks. Anyone else notice this?
Back when you made the first post I had to go out and do some visual alignment checks with the eyeballs. Sorta bugs me, I like things symmetrical.

I too wonder if they were this way on the 08 when this style mirror came out. Guy at work still has one so one day when he drives it I will check it out.

I just wish I could open and fold them with the key FOB.

Bob

Quick Reply: Folding Mirror Question