1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold the Superduty for an Ecoboost F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the more likely outcome for a Superduty is weight reduction and a smaller V8. Maybe a smaller diesel as an option. All the trucks are going to have major liposuction over the next few years to meet fuel economy standards for the vehicle class.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I think the more likely outcome for a Superduty is weight reduction and a smaller V8. Maybe a smaller diesel as an option. All the trucks are going to have major liposuction over the next few years to meet fuel economy standards for the vehicle class.
This makes sence, but I dont see this happening. These trucks are ment to pull large heavy trailors. If the trucks turn into lightweights, I could imagine some concerns with control when pulling. Particularly stopping a heavy trailor.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FordGuy85
We can only hope it happens. Slap a turbo on a 6.2 and it will prolly out perform a turbo diesel...
I'd like to see it mated with a blower.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
Originally Posted by Benchwrench
I'd like to see it mated with a blower.
Superchargers are definately the ****, but I'd like to see a turbo for the superior fuel economy when you not in the throttle. Blowers usually use lots of gas at all times, but still cool as heck.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
It's been many years ago that superchargers received bypass valves to decrease parasitic drag to almost nothing. A supercharger can actually improve fuel economy by reducing engine pumping losses at low throttle cruising.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. maybe not. I observe commercial haulers with those huge gooseneck trailers and in last couple of years was observing the market taken over by RAMs.
But... today I noticed a pickup with double decker car hauler entering the freeway in front of me, so even pulling the trailer myself, I stepped on it to see closely what is it. 5 cars on the trailer with Tundra Crew Cab right over the pickup axle. The F550 has registration sticker for 45,000 lb.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:48 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Small truck burns more fuel than my 8000 lb, 12 years older technology F250
Must be the bluetooth reception?
Probably very close in mileage, costs a ton less, and is quieter, which was stated a reason for buying it.
The eco boost also romps 7.3's in terms of power.
For a guy that openly admitted to using his truck as a "car", as he put it, this is a far better option than a new diesel.
I know what you want to start here, and I hope you don't, because if you go back and read the original post, you will see why the guy bought it.

A diesel engine is not the automatic solution to every single person ever born, try a little harder to understand that. People that have an eco boost or gas truck are not stupid just cause they haven't found the "holy grail" as you have.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Congrats on the new truck..

Several months back I seriously considered an eco-boost. I tried to get any kinda deal from the dealers and got zipo. Basically on a $45k (lariot) they took off $4200 including incentives, on a $37k (xlt) they took off $2800-3200. The leftover 2011 had 0% financing but hard to find a decent color with some options I could live with.

I did some research on mileage - found out hiway mileage is Great in the 20's , however city driving was around 13. That is only a few mpg's better than my superduty since I do no hiway driving, so after no great deals to be found and mileage not so much better I decided not to owe $$ on a new truck. With all that considered the only thing I will miss out on is that smooth ride of a 150. They do look nice too.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I am eligible for one of the special price plans so I don't negotiate anything. Sometimes the incentives can be tacked on top and sometimes not. It just happened that the incentives were unusually good and every one of them was eligible on top of my price plan. It was one of those moments that rarely come and I got about a $10K discount. It got the price in a range that was tolerable for me, and it made a slightly used truck not very attractive deal.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Friend of mine bought an Eco-Boost so I did the butt dyno test and was impressed, he loves the truck and with one year under his belt he has no complaints.

It has the take off and spool of a stock 6.0L then mid way looses it a little but comes back on for a good finish, not bad for a little V-6. I would own one if I had to look for a new truck.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
I am eligible for one of the special price plans so I don't negotiate anything. Sometimes the incentives can be tacked on top and sometimes not. It just happened that the incentives were unusually good and every one of them was eligible on top of my price plan. It was one of those moments that rarely come and I got about a $10K discount. It got the price in a range that was tolerable for me, and it made a slightly used truck not very attractive deal.
I tried the x-plan too and did better w/o it. It got to a point where I went to a dealer and said take another $250 off and i'll sign the papers, no deal. I guess the #1 selling truck does not need to knock much off the sticker price.

I even waited for the new incentives to come out early June to see if Ford would do anything to match Dodge & Chevy knocking $7-9k off their trucks....Ford did nothing. So for now I will keep my superduty and just drool...not that there's anything wrong with my truck.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Yep, Ford trucks aren't cheap. But they're good. Quality can demand higher price.
Every person here with a good Ford truck is testament to that. And there's a lot of us here.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:15 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
It has the take off and spool of a stock 6.0L then mid way looses it a little but comes back on for a good finish, not bad for a little V-6. I would own one if I had to look for a new truck.
I just have to share my experience with you guys! My wife doesn't care less but I know you'll appreciate it.

I moved my car trailer the other day and it was a tremendously different driving experience then my old 7.3L manual. With the old truck you just couldn't be in a hurry at all because it was going to take a while to get up to speed, but once there you could set cruise control in 6th gear and forget about it. Any roll-out from a stop was really slow with the manual transmission, partly because how long it takes to get into boost, and partly because of all the clutch time needed to shift through several gears before 30 mph.

First time I rolled away with the Ecoboost my jaw almost dropped to the floor! It makes a HUGE difference to have a torque converter! 1st gear literally felt like there wasn't a trailer behind me. I was not expecting that at all! And the power available in higher gears rips the tar out of my old 7.3L. And guess what? That damn little V6 held 6th gear up a hill where I was totally expecting automatic downshift to 4th. I knew this truck would do okay for towing but this was far beyond my expectation. I am happy happy happy!!!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 PM
FordGuy85
Elder User
I just have to share my experience with you guys! My wife doesn't care less but I know you'll appreciate it.

I moved my car trailer the other day and it was a tremendously different driving experience then my old 7.3L manual. With the old truck you just couldn't be in a hurry at all because it was going to take a while to get up to speed, but once there you could set cruise control in 6th gear and forget about it. Any roll-out from a stop was really slow with the manual transmission, partly because how long it takes to get into boost, and partly because of all the clutch time needed to shift through several gears before 30 mph.

First time I rolled away with the Ecoboost my jaw almost dropped to the floor! It makes a HUGE difference to have a torque converter! 1st gear literally felt like there wasn't a trailer behind me. I was not expecting that at all! And the power available in higher gears rips the tar out of my old 7.3L. And guess what? That damn little V6 held 6th gear up a hill where I was totally expecting automatic downshift to 4th. I knew this truck would do okay for towing but this was far beyond my expectation. I am happy happy happy!!!
Wow that's awesome. Great to hear! I love turbo gas motors. I hope I get to drive an ecoboost at some point in the future!

Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 AM
FordGuy85
Elder User
It's been many years ago that superchargers received bypass valves to decrease parasitic drag to almost nothing. A supercharger can actually improve fuel economy by reducing engine pumping losses at low throttle cruising.
So they use a lot less fuel than a turbo at cruising speeds?

Quick Reply: Sold the Superduty for an Ecoboost F150