1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New tutorial: Welding 101, theory and practice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Thanks AX!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:23 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Great information AX . . . thanks.

This process looks useful. Anybody know anything about it?

Old 12-24-2013, 05:43 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
Great information AX . . . thanks.

This process looks useful. Anybody know anything about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ygcm0AQXX9k
I bet it will be expensive if ever gets beyond the prototype. I do wish they would use it to teach basic MIG.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 AM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the video Ax. Very informative. What does the spool gun do for aluminum? Just wondering why it is required.

The HDR video would be a great teaching tool. You can really see what happens during the weld process.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:37 PM
EFranzen
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Aluminum is too soft to push all the way though the hose, so a hand-held spool gun is used. This way it only has to push a few inches.

Ernie

Old 12-25-2013, 09:17 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Ernie is correct, Pushing the soft pure aluminum filler wire all the way from the machine to the tip is like trying to push a rope up hill, it wants to snarl and ball up. If you are occasionally doing a small amount of non critical aluminum welding it can be done if care is taken to use a new dedicated contact tip, rigorously clean all parts of the drive mechanism to remove any steel and/or copper contaminants, keep the hose as straight as possible, and change the shielding gas to pure argon. The spool gun mounts the filler wire spool within a couple inches of and straight in line with the tip, and the spool gun should not be used with anything but aluminum wire to avoid contaminating the wire (and the weld).

Old 12-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Tig welding

Ax, are you ,or did you , do a a tech tread on tig welding ? And can you do one on welding aluminum ?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:38 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
Ax, are you ,or did you , do a a tech tread on tig welding ? And can you do one on welding aluminum ?
To paraphrase a couple well known quotes:
"I only know enough about TIG and welding aluminum to be dangerous...
If I told you all I know IT would kill you!"

Those subjects are outside my expertise, so I'll leave them alone, Sorry.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AXracer
To paraphrase a couple well known quotes:
"I only know enough about TIG and welding aluminum to be dangerous...
If I told you all I know IT would kill you!"

Those subjects are outside my expertise, so I'll leave them alone, Sorry.
I see Master , it is the preheating knowledge I seek! I ll try to better my skills as you tech o wise one. Until then I thank you for your help.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I don't know of anyone preheating aluminum before TIG welding it. The hot metal would be prone to oxidizing faster which would contaminate the weld. When welding aluminum cleanliness is all that! The joint should be thoroughly scrubbed with a dedicated stainless steel wire brush just before welding. I know some mission critical aluminum welds are heat treated (normalized) after welding to relieve stress, but that's not needed in average aluminum welding. I have welded aliminum with an oxy/acet torch many times using a special aluminum flux.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump. Too much good info in this thread...

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Chris 56 f6
Posting Guru
Ax the thread about "they died with there boots on" got my wife and I thinking about wielding fumes ? I have been deep at work welding away and stop and look around the shop-and the shop has a thick haze of black smoke" my question to you is this smoke/ haze full of carbon monoxide?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:47 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris 56 f6
Ax the thread about "they died with there boots on" got my wife and I thinking about wielding fumes ? I have been deep at work welding away and stop and look around the shop-and the shop has a thick haze of black smoke" my question to you is this smoke/ haze full of carbon monoxide?
I am sure Ax will know for sure but I do know that you can cause problems with your lungs without any ventilation. A good friend of mine got Pleurisy and was a welder. Here is a link that may tell you more than you want to know: Illness caused by welding fume and gases

Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Wolfracing
Senior User
I am an engineer at a sizable welding shop. I can tell you that we have heat exchanger air turnover systems to keep fresh air in the building at all times. For the amount that I weld at home doing body work etc, I don't worry much about it. If you are getting black smoke, either you are really going to town or there may be contaminants on the surfaces you are welding. Never clean with brake clean. And if you are welding galvanized material, you REALLY need to make sure you are ventilating. Even if you can't ventilate properly, and a respirator is not possible, a particulate mask is never a bad idea, although not all that practical under most welding helmets. The grinding dust can be every bit as harmful as that welding smoke.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I agree with Wolfracing. MIG welding itself does not produce toxic fumes, maybe some ozone and increase in argon content in the air, but unless you are welding in a sealed closet, those should not be an issue. The real problems come from welding contaminated used materials, oily, painted, dirty, rusty, coated metals. If there are fumes and smoke being produced clean the metals before welding them. Welding galvanized metals should always be avoided if at all possible. The zinc coating has a low vaporization temperature, and inhaled zinc fumes are very dangerous, producing a heavy metal poisoning condition known as "zinc shakes" with flu like symptoms and tremors at fairly low exposure. The vaporized zinc produces a dense white smoke and often leaves a whitish or yellowish powdery residue along the edge of the heat affected zone. If you really must weld galvanized steel grind back all the zinc coating for a couple inches from the weld (be sure to wear a good particulate mask and skin covering when grinding, the zinc dust is almost as much a health risk as the fumes, but a little easier to avoid (particulate masks and even vapor masks are a lot less expensive than most imagine and are available at the big box DIY stores).
Some galvanized coatings are smooth and nearly shiny and so may be hard to recognize, electrical conduit and chain link fence posts are common examples of this type galvanizing. Modern car sheetmetal is another.
Always wash up thoroughly and/or shower after welding and/or grinding and change clothes before eating, drinking or coming into physical contact with others, especially children. Lightly ventilate the work area, but avoid creating a draft or breeze directly on the weld so you do not disturb the shielding gas "bubble".

Quick Reply: New tutorial: Welding 101, theory and practice.