6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

radio troubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 AM
lundman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio troubles

I just joined today although I have been reading the post since December 2010 when I purchased my new 2011 F-250 Diesel Ford. I had it built special order. It is also my first Ford ever although I have owned other makes. I had my radio, without navigation, start cutting out for a few seconds and I could only hear the bass but not the higher notes. Same when using the bluetooth through sync. Took the truck in and on Jan. 27, 2012, (I was just under the 60,000 km warranty) a code showed the radio needed to be replaced. So it was replaced and worked fine until April 24, 2012 and started doing it again. (74000 kms now) I was originally told it was a resistor. So now the dealer is telling me it may not be under warranty anymore and the cost of a new radio is over $1,000.00. He is checking it out. I told him if it isn't covered we will have a problem. I figure 2 radios in 18 months for a $76,000 truck is unacceptable. (and really 2 radios in 3 months or so) So the question is is anyone else experiencing radio problems with their Ford trucks? I got the tranny problem fixed (going into neutral after 2 nd gear but it took 4 different dealers a few months to figure it out. I wonder now about the radio and if others are having the same problems? I take care of my truck big time, earlier than usual oil changes, more washes than a new born baby. But this previous tranny problem and now 2 radios in 3 months has me wondering about Ford? Love the truck but it needs to be less at the dealership.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Davgt500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitively would not pay $1000.00 for another Ford radio, especially w/o navigation. I have had no problems, mine is a nav unit. I think I would just go with an aftermarket radio if they won't warranty it. Hope it comes out ok.

What was the tranny fix? Was it just a flash?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 AM
lundman
Senior User
radio trouble

The tranny was annoying since you couldn't predict when it would happen. It usually happened after the truck sat for an hour or two but was unpredictable. I must have had the problem for a year. Once when pulling out onto the highway I accelerating and then the display showed 3rd but it was obvious the tranny was in neutral as the revs increased and I coasted. Letting off the accelerator and then foot on the gas again and it was back to normal. Yes, it was just a flash to fix it. I must have had 5 different flashes but the dealer in Parry Sound Ontario did the right flash last fall and it hasn't happened since. The radio problem is a radio problem as it does the same thing whether CD, AM, FM, or Sirius, or Bluetooth. What I would like to keep is the sync since spending so much on a vehicle one would think it would work properly. Getting an aftermarket I have thought about and hopefully, if I have to I won't lose the sync capability. Incidentally, the nav unit costs over 3 grand to instal I believe. I have a GPS already so decided I didn't need the Nav although having the extra features of voice changing stations and saving songs on the HD is nice on the NAV.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:42 AM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by lundman
The tranny was annoying since you couldn't predict when it would happen. It usually happened after the truck sat for an hour or two but was unpredictable. I must have had the problem for a year. Once when pulling out onto the highway I accelerating and then the display showed 3rd but it was obvious the tranny was in neutral as the revs increased and I coasted. Letting off the accelerator and then foot on the gas again and it was back to normal. Yes, it was just a flash to fix it. I must have had 5 different flashes but the dealer in Parry Sound Ontario did the right flash last fall and it hasn't happened since. The radio problem is a radio problem as it does the same thing whether CD, AM, FM, or Sirius, or Bluetooth. What I would like to keep is the sync since spending so much on a vehicle one would think it would work properly. Getting an aftermarket I have thought about and hopefully, if I have to I won't lose the sync capability. Incidentally, the nav unit costs over 3 grand to instal I believe. I have a GPS already so decided I didn't need the Nav although having the extra features of voice changing stations and saving songs on the HD is nice on the NAV.
I think someone here posted about a deal on upgrade to nav. I know I saw the ad and thought briefly about it. Maybe its not the radio, strange for 2 to go out the same way. I know down here a repare is warented for a year , I dont know why a warented repair would be different.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
lundman
Senior User
radio trouble

The first radio was under warranty just under the 60,000 km mark. The second radio may only have a 3 month warranty that started when installed on Jan. 27, 2012. If so then the warranty ran out April 27th. My point would be that a new radio needs to last longer than 3 months. And to go through 2 seems like the radios might be built abroad and shipped here. Don't know that but Ford should not be telling me just after 3 months of a new install, sorry, if you want it replace it is a grand.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

The first radio was under warranty just under the 60,000 km mark. The second radio may only have a 3 month warranty that started when installed on Jan. 27, 2012. If so then the warranty ran out April 27th. My point would be that a new radio needs to last longer than 3 months. And to go through 2 seems like the radios might be built abroad and shipped here. Don't know that but Ford should not be telling me just after 3 months of a new install, sorry, if you want it replace it is a grand.
2 things
1 havnt heard of anyone else with this problem, so maybe it is something else, ground or something. That would be that they failed to fix the problem originaly.
2 Under that theory it would be possible to change the radio one day and have the new one fail the next and not be covered if it was that close to warenty expiration..

Old 05-05-2012, 04:04 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Not sure where you are from exactly...but a US FORD warranty repair is for 12 mths or 12,000 miles.

So...I wonder if you get 12 mths or 12,000 km? If so...then you are at ...or just over 14,000 km. No warranty.

You might get a pass on this time around. But I would be more concerned if your SD 6.7L PSD has a more serious problem. Maybe voltage spikes or alternator issues. Make a request to test the electrical system...at least.

Good luck...

biz

Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM
jermort
Senior User
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
I think someone here posted about a deal on upgrade to nav. I know I saw the ad and thought briefly about it. Maybe its not the radio, strange for 2 to go out the same way. I know down here a repare is warented for a year , I dont know why a warented repair would be different.
Yeah, I contacted ford about the lousy s/w in the radio/nav unit after I saw that ford was upgrading all the units in their cars. Trucks are too bad, so sad. Not going to help us out. Ford suggested that I contact NavTeq for a map upgrade. Guess what? Navteq is also ignoring the ford units. They told me I had the most current maps (my truck is a May 2010 build).

Really sad that ford only looks at us truck buyers as $$$$. I will say, my dealer seems to be better than the factory.

JMHO

jammer

UPDATE:

Looks like Navteq has issued an update for our NAV units. From the web page, several issues were fixed. Doesn't look like a complete list though. So the MyFord Touch folks get a free upgrade, we will have to fork over $199! At least Microsoft keeps my Windows 7 up to date at NO CHARGE!

Here's the link:

"http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-FordNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductUUID=JLQKCghBjHwAAAE2Jwtfgpym&Catalog CategoryID=jssKCghBTM4AAAE1zdF5qqYT&JumpTo=OfferLi st&PersistNavigationMenu=YES"

just sayin'

jammer

Last edited by jermort; 05-05-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: New NAVTEQ info
Old 05-05-2012, 06:55 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by jermort
Yeah, I contacted ford about the lousy s/w in the radio/nav unit after I saw that ford was upgrading all the units in their cars. Trucks are too bad, so sad. Not going to help us out. Ford suggested that I contact NavTeq for a map upgrade. Guess what? Navteq is also ignoring the ford units. They told me I had the most current maps (my truck is a May 2010 build).

Really sad that ford only looks at us truck buyers as $$$$. I will say, my dealer seems to be better than the factory.

JMHO

jammer

Absolutely...the MyFORD Touch is getting all the attention. I guess since the 2013 SD gets that as an option...they are focusing efforts in that direction.

Not saying it is right...

biz

Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
dealer repairs are warranted for 12 months. but im more concerned that you paid 76K for a truck. and it without nav to boot. sheesh

Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
azking_Ranch
Tuned
Come on get real, I know you did't pay 76,000 for your truck I have i fullly loaded KingRanch and it didt go beound 63,000.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by azking_Ranch
Come on get real, I know you did't pay 76,000 for your truck I have i fullly loaded KingRanch and it didt go beound 63,000.
thats what i was thinking. maybe he paid in euros

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,997 Likes on 1,600 Posts
If Ford doesn't replace it........... Find a good electronis repair shop. It can be repaired.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
just get the oem nav instead..

Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Trucks cost that much in Canada, don't they?
He's reporting in kilometers so I'm guessing he lives in Canada.

I had the shift to neutral going into third for a long time also.
Ford replaced three solenoids in the transmission and so far it's working.

Quick Reply: radio troubles