1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need a "favor" with California DMV

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
jamieson48
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol. I tried that one, but the DMV needs an official weighmaster certificate. QQ

Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well...you could do this. Go to the California DMV website. There is a link there for release of liability. Usually when you sell a car, you immediately go to the DMV website to let them know that you no longer own the vehicle.

Last time I sold a car, I went to the site. You enter the license number and the last 5 digits of the VIN, and bingo....your name and address will be listed and it will ask you if you a few questions that allow you to tell the DMV that you are no longer responsible for that particular vehicle.

To tell you the truth, I found it upsetting that if you wanted the name and address of a vehicle owner that all you need is part of the VIN and a license plate number, but that's how it works. So if some sleezebag sees my daughter get out of her car at school, & he wants to be a stalker, all he has to do is look at the VIN in the windshield (newer cars), and the license plate.

I'm hoping that this has changed by now, but it was working this way up to last year.

Dan

Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by old_dan
Well...you could do this. Go to the California DMV website. There is a link there for release of liability. Usually when you sell a car, you immediately go to the DMV website to let them know that you no longer own the vehicle.

Last time I sold a car, I went to the site. You enter the license number and the last 5 digits of the VIN, and bingo....your name and address will be listed and it will ask you if you a few questions that allow you to tell the DMV that you are no longer responsible for that particular vehicle.

To tell you the truth, I found it upsetting that if you wanted the name and address of a vehicle owner that all you need is part of the VIN and a license plate number, but that's how it works. So if some sleezebag sees my daughter get out of her car at school, & he wants to be a stalker, all he has to do is look at the VIN in the windshield (newer cars), and the license plate.

I'm hoping that this has changed by now, but it was working this way up to last year.

Dan

I'll be darned, it's the same in NM for doing an online registration renewal. I never thought of that. But not all vehicles are eligible for online renewal, and one of them that isn't is vehicles that aren't current on their plates. It still might let you get far enough into it to see what you need.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought that only works if the vehicle is in the registration system (been registered in the past 5 years)...

Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamieson48
When you find your crooked DMV person let me know, I need to get my non-rolling F1 "weighed."

Just kidding. Mostly.
You better be careful - The Secret Service just got in trouble for that

Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
The CA DMV has a Statement of Facts form that could possibly be used in a case like this. I would visit the local DMV and explain the story to them. They may suggest that the landlords that sold the car fill out the SoF form explaining what happened. The new buyer (the seller of the car now) will likely also need to fill out the SoF form confirming the purchase from the landlords. You may also need to fill out the SoF form explaining that you're buying the vehicle now with the title/reg issues.

An example, a friend of mine bought a 55 Olds while he lived here. He never got it transfered into his name and lost the title and the contact information of the previous owner (old man). He moved to Colorado several years ago and now wants to get it registered there. I went to my local DMV and explained the situation. They told me that he needs to fill out the SoF form with as much info as possible and explain what happened. Then he needs to fill out a Lost/Replacement Title form that allows transfering the vehicle into his name. Both forms need to be submitted to the CA DMV to get a CA title. He can then take the CA title and re-title the car in CO.
There is no contact with the landlords. All there is, is a handwritten note from them, undated. I have put the guy on the spot, and he doesn't know where the landlords are or any way of getting hold of them. I asked him to give me an address or even street name and city and he couldn't even do that. He knew the town and that was it. He said it's been too long since he had been there.

All I have is this guy and his letter and a bill of sale to work with.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Ravenheart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope this doesn't come out as rude, but I've been curious about this since the thread started and seeing the progress I just have to know.

What's so special about that car anyway?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:48 AM
NormH
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Cal DMV registration

I baught a truck on a Bill of Sale only from a purchaser who only had the legal owners name and remembered 10 years later that he lived in Stockton, Ca. DMV said the legal owner had to sign or I had to demonstrate the owner could not be found. I took a random Stockton . Ca address from a phone book and sent a registered letter to the owner. Then, I took the returned letter stamped "Not at this address and no forwarding address known" to DMV and they register the truck.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A guy with the Dumb's this bad is handeling something that's hot - Unless you just want to use the non-identifible parts and have a way to bury the leftovers stay away

Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with Dick. There's a reason why the car is being sold at a really good price. I wonder if the "landlords" really exist.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
JeffLee
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As a last ditch approach, register the car in an easier state than CA... there are many. I have heard it is quite easy in NV and GA with a "lost title". You'll need someone to trust (friend or relative, for example) for a local address. Then ultimately transfer it back to CA. Good luck with it!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:14 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenheart
I hope this doesn't come out as rude, but I've been curious about this since the thread started and seeing the progress I just have to know.

What's so special about that car anyway?
Not being rude at all! Don't worry!
It is a model I've owned before and really like. And it's for an OK price. So I went after it.

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I agree with Dick. There's a reason why the car is being sold at a really good price. I wonder if the "landlords" really exist.
I'm pretty sure it's clean, but I'll run it by another cop today to make sure.

Originally Posted by JeffLee
As a last ditch approach, register the car in an easier state than CA... there are many. I have heard it is quite easy in NV and GA with a "lost title". You'll need someone to trust (friend or relative, for example) for a local address. Then ultimately transfer it back to CA. Good luck with it!
My Grandmother lives in NV. Hmmmmmm......

Thank you guys so much. Great advice as always.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 PM
JeffLee
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH
Not being rude at all! Don't worry!
It is a model I've owned before and really like. And it's for an OK price. So I went after it.

I'm pretty sure it's clean, but I'll run it by another cop today to make sure.

My Grandmother lives in NV. Hmmmmmm......

Thank you guys so much. Great advice as always.
Yeah, but can you trust her? Hope you find a way....