Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different uncle.. thought it was the cool one. And it was standard cab

Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Travis, not all scrap yards have the same rules.

I can take a whole truck in, but I have to have the title, I don't have to cut it up or drain fluids.

In michigan when I scrapped my 95, cause I took it in in pieces, I didn't even need the title.

So I have a clean title and Vin Plaque for a 95 ford still.

Normally you need a title in michigan to do it.
But I took it in 3 trips in different sets of pieces.
That's what I'm saying. Here, we have to have the title to scrap a vehicle. If we have the title, we can scrap it whole as long as the fluids are drained and the fuel tanks are out of it.

If we don't have the title, we can still scrap it, but we have to cut it up into pieces before hand or else they won't take it.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
So bottom line is is he gonna replace your truck?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:29 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
WOW.......

Old 04-25-2012, 03:04 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with everyone on this Ryan, you got a raw deal. Take the cash he gave you, give it back to him and to him to return with the FULL value of the truck. Either that or his cummins better be getting built specifically for you. And here I though it was only our gov that only screws enlisted/vets.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
jleal_21
Senior User
i think he scrapped it before u got back as an excuse not to fix it, cuz he knew that if he gave u back a broken truck u would expect him to fix it. he took the easy way out.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
First, it's a Federal thing that requires a title to be signed to scrap an entire vehicle. Case being, a stolen car gets scrapped by the thieves. The scrap yard is 100% liable for the value of the vehicle. I'd find out which scrap yard took the truck and sue. You'll win if your name wasn't signed by you on the title.

Second, this is exactly the kind of case small claims court is designed for. I recommend you look into it. The problem being your leave is likely not long term enough to deal with the problem. Honestly, I'd be hiring a lawyer over that kind of thing.

Good luck and what a crappy thing to do to anyone, let alone family.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow. Just wow.

I assume it got scrapped out because it was so far away and he didn't want to pay to get it towed back or fixed there? What did you say to your uncle when he told you this?

Unfortunately family members like your uncle still look at you as some kid they remember from years ago, so they don't stop to think of things from your perspective.

Not that you've got much time to deal with this, but it's worth looking into or asking about any general liability insurance your uncle has at work. If he let an employee use and break your property, there may be coverage under the GL policy if you file a claim.

Otherwise I'd consider returning the $450 and just saying I left you with a $6,000 truck and you handed me $450. That's not right. You figure out how to fix it, and then just walk off.

You've probably only got a couple of weeks before you return for MOS training and have better things to do than worry about the truck that you'll never see again.

By the way, what MOS are you going to be?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Who's name was the title in Ryan? When he isn't looking take his cummins! I blew a oil pressure hose on mine and didn't know it until the injectors stoped firing from lack of oil and the PCM shutting it down. I got on here in panic and TJ and everyone else said not to worry, my motore is fine. Forget the shot gun, a baseball bat to the knees and make him suffer for the rest of his life. I wish now I would have taken you up on that offer to buy it, damn!!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM
PowerstrokeRyan
Senior User
the title was in my name, i told him it was a funny joke, and I honestly did not believe him at first but then he gave me the money... Then I just left and took the old stang for a beat run. Your right I dont have much time to sue so I am going to give him the option of getting me a new truck or getting a lawyer.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeRyan
Hey guys, just wanted to check in and say hi while in town from boot camp. I couldn't justify storing the truck at one of your homes or selling it.. So I let my uncle use it for work while i was away. (construction) Well he decided to let a new employee drive it all the way to north dakota without checking the oil or anything and blew it up.. Uncle didn't put insurance on it so i had a dead truck.. Thinking it was the right thing to do he scrapped it and gave me the $453.84 for the scrap price...... Keep in mind i didn't know any of this until yesterday when i returned home. I honestly dropped to my knees. Long story short I am sad to say I have no truck to be part of this family
WTF? It was a manual, right? There's so many parts I would have bought from you. I'm not trying to stir anything up or anything like that, but I would be pretty upset about this if I were you. He gave you $450 for it? LOL, it had to have been worth ten times that when your uncle took it. Hell, it was probably worth at least five times that in parts.

I'm thinking your uncle needs to make this right for you.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 PM
PowerstrokeRyan
Senior User
And im sitting at home.. looking for a new truck just to get some ideas of prices in the wisconsin area for when I get back... Found this 96 F250 Powerstroke Im giving someone a nice little phone call

Old 04-25-2012, 10:04 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

...I am going to give him the option of getting me a new truck or getting a lawyer.
Good idea. There's too much monetary value at stake here. Why in the world would somebody not consider making you whole after something like this? I don't mean to speak poorly about your uncle, but it sounds like you've just learned a lot about him.

I can't even imagine how I would react if that happened to me. I would feel numb.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

And im sitting at home.. looking for a new truck just to get some ideas of prices in the wisconsin area for when I get back... Found this 96 F250 Powerstroke Im giving someone a nice little phone call
Is that your truck? Looking through your pics and description of your truck on your profile, and it freakin' looks like your truck.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dizzyfingers03
Honestly, I'd be hiring a lawyer over that kind of thing.
I'd need a lawyer over that kind of thing........cause I'd kill him!

Quick Reply: Back for now