1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

1959 F-100 4x4 Arizona Beauty

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You realize now of course that you've but in the Toyota Conversion, that you No Longer have a Working Horn. It has no way to connect to your Horn Button on your Steering Wheel as you no longer have a way to access the Hollow section of the Steering Wheel Shaft.
If you figure some other way of connecting it up, other than placing a separate Horn Button some where else, I'd be interested.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Nick02
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
You realize now of course that you've but in the Toyota Conversion, that you No Longer have a Working Horn. It has no way to connect to your Horn Button on your Steering Wheel as you no longer have a way to access the Hollow section of the Steering Wheel Shaft.
If you figure some other way of connecting it up, other than placing a separate Horn Button some where else, I'd be interested.
The column I took it from had the "big box" steering box connected to it. I think it was a 1958 F600 with a TIMKEN rear end. Anyways the special thing about this steering column is that it has a copper insulated wrapping that touches a contact inside the tube; no clock-spring needed. The pickup is located halfway down the steering shaft and has a spiral fiber wrapped wire that runs to the top of the steering shaft then inside it the last 2" or so. You can see the copper part in the bottom right photo here. I had a column from a 1959 f100 but I noticed it did not have this horn system.

I got the engine running good finally... I resorted to changing out the dizzy for the one on my spare engine and back to points; runs great!
test drive this week!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Nick02
Freshman User
I went for the first drive ever today for a bout 40mins and had a great time. I've never driven a manual transmission before so learning on the on the clarke 5 speed was interesting. Made horrible noises, ran over a few things, bounced around, killed it a couple times and left some marks in the driveway. But she runs, steers and stops great! very happy with the Y-Block It was hard to kill when I started in 3rd or 4th gear lol.

Here's some pictures of the radiator/mounts
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg696...pg&res=landing

The exhaust, my buddy let me have his old setup off his 67 fairline

Interior or lack-of so far, I got a steering center

The doghouse and my current mess

Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 AM
jbell110
Junior User
Great work !! What model & year of toyota was the p/s box from ?
as that would work on my project I think..

thanks Jeff

Old 08-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Nick02
Freshman User
I believe the steering box is from a 1983 toyota pickup with power steering.
So the big 60 mile drive home went good, got run off the road by two truckers, stalled in a police scene one lane bypass route. It was a good time lol!
Anyways, it runs great, starts easy and the transmission shifts fine. It has a top speed of 55-60 on the highway but I can live with that.
Cool kids parking at work

After I got it home I drove it to work and discovered that I forgot to tighten lugnuts on one side of the truck. I ruined two rims and 16 lugnuts I spent the day at the junkyards looking for new rims and got the tires remounted. I painted the rims almond and slapped them on. The previous owner also used a wrong leaf spring retainer which caused the U bolts to have 3” of separation at the top and 5.5” at the bottom. So I cut, bent and welded a new spacer out of some 3/8 and went to a local carshow.
Here it is parked next to a company car lol!

Today I took my girlfriend to the movies and went out to eat.

Dropped her off at a nice historic home she’s dog sitting at, couldn’t resist taking a picture.

So it is running great, no smoke, lots of power. But it is throwing clean oil out of the exhaust and it gets all over the bed and drips down from the mufflers.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:14 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That just keeps the under side lubed and from rusting

Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Nick02
Freshman User
Well, I had a 312 ECZ-6015A with ECZ main caps lying around so I yanked the 292 put a new seal on the oil pan, cleaned the pickup and put it in it's place.
Lots of power and easy starting now, had no clue how worn the other engine was until I put this one in.

When I pulled it I found out that the 292 had some more epoxied cracks on the outside of the block then I expected.
Nice to have a forklift!

I don't normally wear my pants "gangsta" but in my excitement I ripped them and got too lazy to pull them back up

Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Nick02
Freshman User
I still need to find a seat and fabricate front shock mounts, expect to see that soon and the main seal on the 312 leaks so I have to replace that.
Here's a little video I took. Yes I stalled, 4th is too high of a gear to get out of the little mud puddle, then came a vigorous clean up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw2Ut...1&feature=plcp

I wanted to get rid of the ugly gauge pod the previous owner had setup so I designed/made my own on the waterjet, I think I have $1.66 into this.

The DXF it came from, I threw in two switches for future mods.

I re-used 3 out of the 5 aftermarket gauges the truck came with; Oil psi, water temp and fuel level. I still need to finish up the dash, the only working things are the turn signal lights, gen and low oil lol.
Anyways, I wired up the gauges all nice with a 12 pin molex plug.

After dropping $3k to restart the school semester I had some really good news! Discount tire called me and said the BFG commercial T/A's on the tire are part of a bad batch so they will replace them for free!
For a little cash thrown in they said they would have no problem if I step up to some 255/86/16 km2's
So new rubbers soon!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Loved the video. Glad to see yer having fun and not trashing her. But what the heck ya doing in 4th gear and stalling out at that speed?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Nick02
Freshman User
still learning how to drive stick

Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Nick; the truck is looking real good, you are doing very nice work.
I would be very interested in seeing how the 255 85r 16's look on the truck, as that is the size i plan to put on mine. Will you be mounting them on stock style steel wheels?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Nick02
Freshman User
I have an appointment for 8am tomorrow! I think I am going to go white letters out.
They are going on the 16x7 rims off the donor F250. I have two original 16x6 widow maker rims from the 64 the axles, I may use one for the spare they look similar minus the lip at the end.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Nick02
Freshman User
The new meats, I can go fast now!

Both of my children

Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Excellent choice on the tires! To me the 255 was the best thing to ever happen to 16" tires. For people who like the narrow look and the 33" diameter of those tires, but have 15" stock wheels, check out the 33 x 9.50 x 15 size. Same tire with a smaller hole in the middle. Interesting to see it parked alongside the 6x6. Two clark 5 speeds in one parking lot. That's one oddball shift pattern! Keep up the good work and don't start out in 3rd or 4th gear. I can smell your clutch smoking from here!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Those wheels and tires look perfect on your truck. It sure gives me an idea on what I might do on my 63 F250 4wd if I cant find my 16" innie wheels before it comes time to put some shoes on it.

Quick Reply: 1959 F-100 4x4 Arizona Beauty