Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman67
Or pull the jayco with white !?!?
That would be a real fuel sipper...
This what I would do Thomas. What's it gonna hurt?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Getting a little cold for camping, I had to plug in the ox this morning to get it started.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
This what I would do Thomas. What's it gonna hurt?
Well I may have robbed whites hitch to put on blue. Lol. But it was with the intent of getting a new one for white. Preferable with no drop. The back end of blue sits up much higher than white so the drop makes it about perfect.

Plus this is about proving some haters wrong. No one here, but let's just say I've had a few people make comments. I want to shut their faces. Lol.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Getting a little cold for camping, I had to plug in the ox this morning to get it started.
Dang Glenn. I knew it was cool, but I didn't think that cool. Lol. Wonder if white the one battery wonder would start. I may have had to rob one of those too for Blue.

Hopefully it will stay decent in southern Illinois. I've got my space heater for the pop up if need be.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Better check out you GP system then. It shouldn't have to be plugged in to start.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I got a new western plow gpr but didn't want to mess with it until home. The gpr small wires are still taped from my RRE attempt. I'll plug it in for a couple of weeks just to have the security of being at home and putting gpr, idm, pcm etc on one at a time to try and figure out what happened. Right now I'm not messing with 'running'! lol

Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by madMatador78
I'm doing OK. No updates on white. As soon as I get a few things paid. I will start saving up for its goodies. It's going to be good!! I feel a little guilty. Haven't started it in almost 2 weeks.

Blue is running very well. We have made it past the first 1000 miles. Oil pressure is outstanding. Way better than resting on the stop of the gauge at idle. I'm going to be taking it on a camping trip here next weekend. Gonna pull the Jayco. My wallet isn't deep enough to pull the mallard. Gonna meet up with Aaron and JP and enjoy a long weekend of camping. Reliability wise the 83 had defiantly proven itself. It's been flawless motor wise, just a few odds and ends to deal with. The upgrade to 40/20/40 seats was one of the best things I had done. Overall it's going to be a great truck for this winter. It's pretty hard on fuel though, won't lie. Not much can be done about that.

How's things coming on the house? I haven't seen any updates lately on FB. Hope all is well!
Those are good old trucks. I'd like to get a RC 4x4 Bullnose truck to use around the farm. Grandpa had one (2wd) that was about an '86 and I loved that thing.

The house is coming along nicely. I do need to post some more pictures. I get busy and forget about it, and honestly I haven't spent much time on social media lately (or here, for that matter). I just get busy with things and only have so much attention to spend. We're in the process of refinishing and reinstalling 100 year old woodwork on the first floor. It's slow going, but it is good to be working on finishing up some things and making at least one area look "done". Here's a quick shot I took of the kitchen the other morning.

It's getting there. It's far from perfect (or done) but I'm fairly happy with the way that it is shaping up. My cabinet guy ordered the wrong drawer unit beside the stove (twice) so those drawers are getting new (plain) fronts. The counters are all temporary used stuff that was being discarded from work. The wood work and trim still needs to be done, but we are so, SO blessed to be living the farm life. The kids and wife have adapted really well to it and they're all so happy to be there. It's a special place to us and it's really starting to feel like home. There's a ton more to be done inside and outside but I am plugging away at it and at this point, I have the rest of my life to get it done (or until my sweet wife's patience runs out ).

Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Those are good old trucks. I'd like to get a RC 4x4 Bullnose truck to use around the farm. Grandpa had one (2wd) that was about an '86 and I loved that thing.

The house is coming along nicely. I do need to post some more pictures. I get busy and forget about it, and honestly I haven't spent much time on social media lately (or here, for that matter). I just get busy with things and only have so much attention to spend. We're in the process of refinishing and reinstalling 100 year old woodwork on the first floor. It's slow going, but it is good to be working on finishing up some things and making at least one area look "done". Here's a quick shot I took of the kitchen the other morning.

It's getting there. It's far from perfect (or done) but I'm fairly happy with the way that it is shaping up. My cabinet guy ordered the wrong drawer unit beside the stove (twice) so those drawers are getting new (plain) fronts. The counters are all temporary used stuff that was being discarded from work. The wood work and trim still needs to be done, but we are so, SO blessed to be living the farm life. The kids and wife have adapted really well to it and they're all so happy to be there. It's a special place to us and it's really starting to feel like home. There's a ton more to be done inside and outside but I am plugging away at it and at this point, I have the rest of my life to get it done (or until my sweet wife's patience runs out ).

What is you final plan for counter tops and why? The reason I am asking is in my OT thread I am in the process of buying a house that will need updates....

Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Nate, that looks AMAZING man. Yeah, there is something to be said for farm life...or in my case, ranch life. It's pretty alright when it works right.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Nate, that looks AMAZING man. Yeah, there is something to be said for farm life...or in my case, ranch life. It's pretty alright when it works right.
You can't beat it imo. I've chopped 4" of ice with a pulaski in the winter to make the water ditch flow, and complained the whole time, but I'd go back to it in a second to get rid of these neighbors... Just not a viable option right now.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by FI460
You can't beat it imo. I've chopped 4" of ice with a pulaski in the winter to make the water ditch flow, and complained the whole time, but I'd go back to it in a second to get rid of these neighbors... Just not a viable option right now.
Sounds like we are about in the same place Rick. When I got hurt on a colt last year, I pretty much knew I had to redirect...and it sucked. Not viable right now, like you, but maybe later.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:48 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by lee00
What is you final plan for counter tops and why? The reason I am asking is in my OT thread I am in the process of buying a house that will need updates....
The final plan for counters (at this juncture) will be some pretty basic laminate tops. The issue is that they will have to be fabricated to a custom depth because the walls and floors of the old place aren't square to each other, so the counters need about an extra inch of depth to them to reach the wall and overhang the front of the counter correctly. These tops were some take outs from a building we were stripping out for a rebuild at work, so I was able to snag them. I actually like the look of them, but they're chipped, have holes in them (formerly for computer cords) and, as I mentioned, aren't deep enough. I put them in knowing that they would be a good stop gap measure to get us going, but that they wouldn't be a permanent solution.

Farm / Ranch life is where it's at for me. Tiring and frustrating at times, but the rewards of being around home, choosing your own work schedule, and seeing the fruits of your labor, man there's just nothing better, in my opinion. I'd do it full time if a man could make a living on it, but around here you have to go big or go home and I can't afford to get into it and compete with all the big factory farms around here. So I work full time to earn a living and then spend it all fooling around on the hobby farm. It's definitely not for everyone, but we sure love it.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

and a beautiful place it is, I know!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:14 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
and a beautiful place it is, I know!
Thanks, Glenn! We're working hard to make it a special place again.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking good Nate. I definitely know the amount of work and money it takes to achieve what you have. Job well done!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:06 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Looking good Nate! I can't wait to come see it in person!

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread