1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 02:41 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
Glenn, i have not really been following all the details of what is going on. i have a friend htat hauls cars all over the country. he used to be a member here a few years ago until he sold his truck for a big rig. used to go by the name mongo or something like that.
if you want, i can have him get in touch with you about moving the Geo wherever you need it to go.
It would probably be more money then I want to spend. But, I'll keep this in mind Tom, Thanks!

Old 08-01-2015, 03:19 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
i think only 3 times in 5 years for a first run truck is pretty good. this was one of the first 2011's built, we took delivery in september of 2010. the electrical gremlins were from the body installer, not ford. the emissions issue was for the exhaust pipe bracket breaking cracking the exhaust loose and setting the engine bay on fire. this was done when 6 months old because i read about it on here and we brought it to the dealers attention, they told us to bring it in rite away, and they fixed it without any arguments. the trans issue was a wonky solenoid over the winter while plowing.
that truck now has a little over 53k miles on it.
You are right on that one. I forget the 2011 is a first one. We have a 2013 at the ranch and it is a joy to haul our 6-Horse with and a joy to drive. The longevity remains to be seen. It only has 33k on it and it's been to the dealer 3 times. Two times for an oil leak and a sensor replacement of some sort. Once for a front end that needed replaced due to wearing tires because we were "towing too heavy"! Really? A 2013 F350 hauling 11k is too heavy? Yeah, that service writer didn't have a clue. This really isn't me ripping on the new Ford diesel. It's a very nice truck. These have just been my real-world observations. If it was a $40k truck, I could swallow it easier, but not at these sticker prices.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:34 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,208 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
As far as the guys that buy the same problem truck new...that's the Darwin affect at it's finest
nah, that is a loyal ford driver willing to give ford another chance that knew he made a mistake for buying a first year production vehicle.
all the guys i know that gave the 6.7 a second chance were glad they did.

, that service writer didn't have a clue.

i have only met one service writer that had a clue what was going on, and SHE knows more about these diesel trucks than most of the "techs" in the garage.
i actually had a service writer tell me he could not change the oil in my 7 litre because it was not a ford product.
then when i told him it was a 66 ford and had a 428 engine in it, he said we still can't because we do not stock oil filters for something that old.
this was 2 minutes after he took a 85 mustang in for an oil change.
when i told him the 85 302 and 66 428 took the same oil filter he looked at me like i had six heads and said they did not.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
we had the 2013 shut down without warning. it started rite back up and drove the 4 miles to get to the job .shut it off and that was it. crank but no start. called another dealer than the one we bought it from, they sent a wrecker rite away and determined it was one of the exhaust sensors. instead of trying to figure out which one was bad, they replaced all 4 of them then ran a full diagnostic test after giving us another truck because they could not get to it till the next day and we were in another state.
the 2011 has gone back 3 times. one for the emissions recall, once for an elictrical issue, and once for the trans acting up. all three times with that one we got a loaner truck too.
i really think some of the complainers just want to complain.
there are a bunch of people here that had issues so bad ford could not figure them out on the first year trucks and took a buyback.
then bought the exact same truck but new.
Glad to hear you've been so lucky with yours. We have two at work. One went down for a week last month due to a faulty DEF heater, because Lord knows how we need a DEF heater in Texas in July.

The other one has been in the shop a little over a week now. They're not sure what's wrong with it. They say we'll hear from them in a couple of weeks with an update. No loaner either time.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I should be working on my truck. But I found a cab with rear doors in a barn. Looks like I will get it for 700. Now I just have to find the time to do some sound proofing and get it painted... this is the part where everyone's experience will be sought.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:17 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by F350-6
Glad to hear you've been so lucky with yours. We have two at work. One went down for a week last month due to a faulty DEF heater, because Lord knows how we need a DEF heater in Texas in July.

The other one has been in the shop a little over a week now. They're not sure what's wrong with it. They say we'll hear from them in a couple of weeks with an update. No loaner either time.
And I just had a guy and another forum try to tell me how much more capable the newer diesels are because the older diesels were lucky to make it 100,000 miles without some form of major maintenance. I just laughed at that. I sort of felt like Tom must have about the oil filter.

Look, all I'm saying is that for the price tag of a new diesel, it just isn't worth it to me. I'm so glad I have my old diesel, and if I were going to buy new truck it would be a gas engine. It just isn't worth it on a new diesel anymore. And it isn't like the dealers have fast service. I just read an entire thread in an RV forum about this guy who was out of his brand new truck for 32 days before they figured out what was wrong with it! Who has that kind of time for a new house, er, truck to be inoperable. No loaner for him either.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:17 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
that is the biggest problem with the 6.7
it is still basically a new engine and the "techs" do not know what they are doing when it comes to diagnosing and repairing them.
plus the computers are not making things any easier for us. everything is electrically controlled. if a fuse pops, it can take out 3 other circuits also.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:33 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning fellas. I have seen first hand that dealerships, not just Ford, but all dealerships, will take better care of fleet customers. They know they will be buying several trucks hopefully for many years if they are kept happy. The guy that comes in and buys dream truck and plans on keeping that truck forever will get put on the back burner until the big money customers are taken care of.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:51 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Morning fellas. I have seen first hand that dealerships, not just Ford, but all dealerships, will take better care of fleet customers. They know they will be buying several trucks hopefully for many years if they are kept happy. The guy that comes in and buys dream truck and plans on keeping that truck forever will get put on the back burner until the big money customers are taken care of.
Morning Bill!! True story. I opened up a can of worms on another thread about these new 6.7 trucks and dealer problems. I never should have...oh well.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All dealerships are different. I had a trans problem with an '01 F150 I had. One dealership put two transmissions in the truck, still had a problem. They flat turned me away and said there was nothing else they could do. I was furious. I called Ford Motor Company's customer service and told them what happened. They told me to take it to another dealership. The service manager from that dealership called me 15 minutes later and scheduled an appointment. They had my truck two day and it was fixed, and never had the problem again. And, they were super good people. Exactly the opposite from the other dealer. So, I guess what dealership you go to is a huge factor in what kind of service you get also.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:41 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by ReBilld
All dealerships are different. I had a trans problem with an '01 F150 I had. One dealership put two transmissions in the truck, still had a problem. They flat turned me away and said there was nothing else they could do. I was furious. I called Ford Motor Company's customer service and told them what happened. They told me to take it to another dealership. The service manager from that dealership called me 15 minutes later and scheduled an appointment. They had my truck two day and it was fixed, and never had the problem again. And, they were super good people. Exactly the opposite from the other dealer. So, I guess what dealership you go to is a huge factor in what kind of service you get also.

^^^^true this^^^^
the dealership we deal with in new yawk is predominantly a car dealer, but they do supply trucks to 3 larger construction firms.
the dealer down the road from me here in joisey we use is family owned, has been in the same place for 50 years, and in business for close to 70 years.
the dealership on the other side of town has been in business for around 30 years in 4 different towns with 4 different owners, and all they care about is the initial sale. the current rendition service department sucks.
i can't see them lasting much more that 5 years at their current rate of doing business before ford pulls their franchise.
they sell 10 trucks for every 1 car.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my $.02, if I had the cash to blow, Id get a 2015 F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. they can literally tow more than a 7.3L F-350 (legally). And if I had money like that to blow, Id trade it in once a year so I wouldnt have to worry about maintenance lol

Good grief Glenn, your truck is so danged gorgeous!!!

And if your not really wanting to come get the Geo, Iv been known to make some cross country journeys hauling cars

Old 08-03-2015, 12:21 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Morning Bill!! True story. I opened up a can of worms on another thread about these new 6.7 trucks and dealer problems. I never should have...oh well.
Brahahaha them dudes are all d**k hurt up there hahahaha

You sure kicked the hornets nest ...you troll you.

just jackin their jaw

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
Brahahaha them dudes are all d**k hurt up there hahahaha

You sure kicked the hornets nest ...you troll you.

just jackin their jaw
I know right? I was even defending the guy who had the warranty issues and they got seriously butt hurt! Forgive me for taking up your cause. I really wasn't trying to incite a riot. Ah well, sensitive group I guess.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know right? I was even defending the guy who had the warranty issues and they got seriously butt hurt! Forgive me for taking up your cause. I really wasn't trying to incite a riot. Ah well, sensitive group I guess.

Just got done reading that...Wow. I guess I'll go sell my uncapable antique truck, and run out and buy a new 70K truck. That will solve all of my problems... NOT!!!!!! lol.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread