oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate the offer.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:58 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Glenn, is it an option to have your wife drive the geo and you put the little trailer behind your camper? At least maybe back to SD? Just seems like you'd have a crapload of driving to do. You've probably thought of that and have reason(s), I'm just checking.

As you know, anything I can do let me know. If you need anything while you're in SD I can always run out west for a weekend.

On a good note for me I got done with the 54f100 I was working on for our local plumber. Thankfully! That was almost a neverending project. Every step I took something was broken. It had been sitting oustide for the last 22 years in a field. All new electrical including wiring, lights, switches, elec wiper motor, etc. , all new fuel system from the carb to the tank, all new brakes including lines and hoses. Had to pull the motor to replace a frost plug which is located behind the trans bellhousing. That's not a bad job though, only a few bolts and wires to unhook and its out! Not like working on anything new, that's for sure.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:14 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Glenn, is it an option to have your wife drive the geo and you put the little trailer behind your camper? At least maybe back to SD? Just seems like you'd have a crapload of driving to do. You've probably thought of that and have reason(s), I'm just checking.

As you know, anything I can do let me know. If you need anything while you're in SD I can always run out west for a weekend.

First, when I get done here in a few weeks we are going to leave the Geo and trailer here north of Detroit and go up north in Mi to see her family. This is what I call a 'test' run to see how it does. If the stocker does better then I think then yes, pulling the trailer might be a option. Patty driving the Geo, not an option. She doesn't have the greatest of eyes. So, to save 4K of driving I could take the trailer and leave the Geo here and get it next year. I don't want to do that and I don't want to drive all that way either. So, the next couple of months will give me a gut feeling of what I should do. Going from SD I can go down thru Kansas which is flat but still would have to climb the hill out of Albuquerque NM and the hill into Flagstaff, AZ. They are pretty steep and long climbs. The way I usually go is west thru Wy to Salt Lake City then down to Vegas. Lots more hills.

I need to express it again, all of your generosity is amazing! Restores my faith in humanity!!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Who wants to run the GEO out west to Glenn? I know I haven't been on an epic road trip in some time!

Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

haha Todd, the Geo is a great little car but not a road car. About 65 to 70 mph its rapped out, no cruise and a rough riding car. Around town and some off road 4by4 its great. After RRE we were going to go to Baltimore to see my younger daughter which would have been sorta like a triangle from where we are at now. 500 to RRE, 500 to Baltimore then 500 back to north of Detroit. That plan got thrown out the window and my daughter is disappointed. We are thinking about driving the Geo to see her, not a trip I want to take the Geo on but we might. This campground is $468 a month, $15.60 a day for full hockups so that's hard to beat. We are paid thru 8-22 so we have time. Another nice thing is if you leave early they will refund your money. If you only stay here one or two nights its $40 a night, big difference.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:01 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
IMO that little trailer back there isn't going to matter one way or the other. Even though the truck is stock, it's still a 7.3. It will pull it all, I don't even think you would notice the extra trailer.

Good luck Glenn, keep in touch.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:40 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

We said that about the Geo a couple years ago but I know its back there. The trailer is probably 2K with motor, trans and a bunch of parts. The Geo is 2.3K so I think they are close. I'm just glad I have a place to leave it for a test run.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:36 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Glenn, i have not really been following all the details of what is going on. i have a friend htat hauls cars all over the country. he used to be a member here a few years ago until he sold his truck for a big rig. used to go by the name mongo or something like that.
if you want, i can have him get in touch with you about moving the Geo wherever you need it to go.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:42 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Happy Saturday dudes. I just have to say that I have been reading a lot on the other forums for the 6.7, just out of curiosity. First of all, I will never be the guy to walk into a dealership and drop $65k on any truck whether I can afford it or not. But second, the absolute BS these people deal with over warranty issues and getting the warranty honored blows my mind. Sure my old truck has frustrated me at times, but I would be livid beyond belief to have to deal with the sort of idiocy these guys have encountered on these "warrantied" trucks. It just torques me even reading about it. I know I am just one small guy, but I am one small guy that Ford will never see walk in to a dealership. I love my loud, rattly, stinky truck.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:29 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Bryon, we have had ZERO warranty issues with ford on our 6.7 powered trucks.
ford has been great to deal with when we had problems.
most people it seems that have issues are the ones that ignore the warnings and keep driving.
there is a great big display screen right in the middle of the dash that prints out a giant SHUT TRUCK DOWN AND DRAIN FUEL FILTER warning.
if you do that, you are back on your way in minutes. if you ignore the warning and keep driving, you get towed in and have to submit a $10,000 claim to your insurance company for a ruined fuel system because you did not listen to the truck.

sooner the insurance companies are going to catch on and start rejecting claims due to driver negligence.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:32 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Tom, I hear you loud and clear. I usually agree the idiocy lies with people and not the vehicle. But the ones I read this morning were all truck issues and not operator issues… Such as oil leak from the turbo, transmission fluid leaks, the truck running improperly, etc. etc. and on top of that, when it's a proven truck issue, Ford Motor Company doesn't want to honor the warranty or tries whatever they can do to get out of honoring the warranty. Just my opinion, which doesn't even really matter because I will never own one of these newer trucks. Or I should correct myself and say I will never own a newer diesel truck. I would buy a new gas truck without a problem, but these new diesels with all of the emissions and the other things that are causing issues and constant bugs to be worked out would not be something I would do. Owning a diesel is not what used to be with fuel savings and simplicity. Again, I have a renewed love for my OBS. I'll keep on truckin'!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:04 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You gotta remember too, 9 times out of 10 they are coming on here because they have issues. Which makes it look like a lot of issues. When is reality they are a very small percentage of people who are otherwise happy with their rigs.

I won't be waltzing into any for dealer anytime soon either, but just a little food for thought.

And plus, you cant really beat our little corner of the forum. haha.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:17 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
we had the 2013 shut down without warning. it started rite back up and drove the 4 miles to get to the job .shut it off and that was it. crank but no start. called another dealer than the one we bought it from, they sent a wrecker rite away and determined it was one of the exhaust sensors. instead of trying to figure out which one was bad, they replaced all 4 of them then ran a full diagnostic test after giving us another truck because they could not get to it till the next day and we were in another state.
the 2011 has gone back 3 times. one for the emissions recall, once for an elictrical issue, and once for the trans acting up. all three times with that one we got a loaner truck too.
i really think some of the complainers just want to complain.
there are a bunch of people here that had issues so bad ford could not figure them out on the first year trucks and took a buyback.
then bought the exact same truck but new.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madMatador78
You gotta remember too, 9 times out of 10 they are coming on here because they have issues. Which makes it look like a lot of issues. When is reality they are a very small percentage of people who are otherwise happy with their rigs.

I won't be waltzing into any for dealer anytime soon either, but just a little food for thought.

And plus, you cant really beat our little corner of the forum. haha.
I hear you Thomas and this is what a lot of people say in response to this issue. But, when I read it here, and an RV forum I frequent, and a few other un-named forums, I think it's worth noticing. And again, owning a 17 year old truck isn't perfect either, but if I paid these prices and I had to take it in any time in the first 75k miles and then they don't wanna a honor a warranty because of X Y or Z, I'd be putting someone through a wall.

Originally Posted by tjc transport
we had the 2013 shut down without warning. it started rite back up and drove the 4 miles to get to the job .shut it off and that was it. crank but no start. called another dealer than the one we bought it from, they sent a wrecker rite away and determined it was one of the exhaust sensors. instead of trying to figure out which one was bad, they replaced all 4 of them then ran a full diagnostic test after giving us another truck because they could not get to it till the next day and we were in another state.
the 2011 has gone back 3 times. one for the emissions recall, once for an elictrical issue, and once for the trans acting up. all three times with that one we got a loaner truck too.
i really think some of the complainers just want to complain.
there are a bunch of people here that had issues so bad ford could not figure them out on the first year trucks and took a buyback.
then bought the exact same truck but new.
Yeah, some complainers want to complain, but some people have very legitimate reasons to gripe and those can't be dismissed. Again, it's just me, but a 2011 going back 3 times? And those reasons are pretty consistent with stuff I read and hear about. And yes, I do know a guy that is a Ford tech. He posts his vids on Youtube just for information and entertainment. You can check him out. Joediesel187 is his screen name.

Again, I don't REALLY care because I will never own one of these. But when a Ford tech tells me "hold on to that 7.3...they are GOLD!!" I am going to listen no matter how frustrated it makes me to have to upgrade, fix, etc. For the cost of owning a new diesel, I would just go HD Gas and call it good. The new Ford 6.2 and the Vortec engines are great engines and most can haul or tow most of what I would with little issue.

As far as the guys that buy the same problem truck new...that's the Darwin affect at it's finest

Old 08-01-2015, 02:02 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i think only 3 times in 5 years for a first run truck is pretty good. this was one of the first 2011's built, we took delivery in september of 2010. the electrical gremlins were from the body installer, not ford. the emissions issue was for the exhaust pipe bracket breaking cracking the exhaust loose and setting the engine bay on fire. this was done when 6 months old because i read about it on here and we brought it to the dealers attention, they told us to bring it in rite away, and they fixed it without any arguments. the trans issue was a wonky solenoid over the winter while plowing.
that truck now has a little over 53k miles on it.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread