the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Gosh DANG that is a pretty blue! Lemme know if you wanna trade

My other question to you guys on here. Has anyone ever had their truck painted? Was it astronomical or doable? I'd be staying with red, but it is going to be needing it here in the next year or so. Just getting ideas. I know it would be ridiculous if I did change colors due to door jams, etc.
4-5k minimum, I did mine with a friend and we were in it probably 1600$ in materials and probably and equal cost in CrownRoyal.... sanding is boring as chit. I'm doing the CCSB here soon.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master

My other question to you guys on here. Has anyone ever had their truck painted? Was it astronomical or doable? I'd be staying with red, but it is going to be needing it here in the next year or so. Just getting ideas. I know it would be ridiculous if I did change colors due to door jams, etc.
4-5k minimum, I did mine with a friend and we were in it probably 1600$ in materials and probably and equal cost in CrownRoyal.... sanding is boring as chit. I'm doing the CCSB here soon, or at least plan on it. Not doing a full color change on it...

Old 07-30-2015, 02:10 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Good to hear your doing good, Bill! Like anything its an adujstment, you will get it.

Glenn, I like the new sig pic and sig.
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Bill take it easy, it will work soon. Glad to hear something about you and your job.

Agree about the new sig pic and sig of Glenn.

Thanks guys! I forgot one word, the 96 is semi-retired, I still use it a few months out of the year. What bothers me is the picture came out to big. I'm not to good at this stuff but will try to shrink it down a little. Don't want to trade Byron, LOL. I just wish I had all my goodies on it for the trip home this fall, .

Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Thrash at Glenn's campsite anyone??!!??

Old 07-30-2015, 04:40 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the official "the I should be working on my truck instead of typing thread"

I'll hold the light!

Old 07-30-2015, 04:54 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I'll be the director, lol!!

I had a pretty good talk with the insurance guy today. Yesterday I faxed in 12 pages of mods I've done to try to up the price, sure glad I brought the papers with me!!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:18 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Hey thats not too terribly far from me, 5-6 hrs maybe?

I bet they were reading through those pages like "Wow this guy has done alot!"

Hope it works for your favor Glenn and you can finally once and for all move on. Hang in there just a little longer.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Thanks Thomas, I will. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that all my 'goodies' are reusable. I do question one thing though, are the head studs reusable? Maybe they have one stretch in them and that's it? IDK

Old 07-30-2015, 06:05 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I was gonna ask Glenn, are you going to do any small stuff before heading back west or are you just not going to mess with it? Like Efuel,TS Chip, etcc...

Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Thanks Thomas, I will. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking that all my 'goodies' are reusable. I do question one thing though, are the head studs reusable? Maybe they have one stretch in them and that's it? IDK
I don't see why they wouldn't be. I don't know about the studs though. If it were me, I wouldnt, but I could be wrong!

Just food for thought, would it be easier to swap engines? I know the one in Blue Ox is low miles, but then you wouldn't have to move parts? Or worry about the studs. I'm just thinking out loud.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I was gonna ask Glenn, are you going to do any small stuff before heading back west or are you just not going to mess with it? Like Efuel,TS Chip, etcc...
I'm going to do two things for sure, put my 6.0 trans cooler on and my air bags. I'm also thinking about putting my PCM in with the Hydra though I don't know if it would help all that much. I guess if I can get an additional 60 hp out of it that should help.

I don't see why they wouldn't be. I don't know about the studs though. If it were me, I wouldnt, but I could be wrong!

Just food for thought, would it be easier to swap engines? I know the one in Blue Ox is low miles, but then you wouldn't have to move parts? Or worry about the studs. I'm just thinking out loud.

I have thought about just swapping the engines. The thought of the low mile motor appeals to me but I'm not looking forward to all that work.

I've been putting a lot of thought into this and I'm thinking now of just leaving the Geo and the little trailer with the motor and trans in it here in Michigan. After getting to AZ I'll come back and pull the Geo with trailer behind it back. Only thing is, in most states a double ball hitch triple tow is illegal. IDK, IDK, IDK

Old 07-30-2015, 06:55 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Glenn, you can use your headstuds again. I've used and reused ARP studs and bolts many times with no problems. Smaller bolts like rod bolts will stretch easier and can only be used a certain amount of times ( until they have been stretched too much).

Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Yeah that being low miles would slow me down too on making a decision. If they were close that would be one thing but the fact there's considerable difference in the 2 then it deserves more thought. I know your coach is a 5er, but would there be room for the motor and trans in the bed? I don't know a lot about them. Lol.

I think mine has more miles than both put together. Lol. That's my only complaint about my truck, wish it was lower. I don't think I would be dealing with a lot of the issues I'm having right now if it was lower. But wish in one hand, crap in the other and see which one fills first. Lol.

It's like anything, a million ways to do it, and not all of them wrong. But determining what's best, that's considerably more effort lol.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:06 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 91 Dually
Good to hear from you,Bill.... You will get this. No doubt. Piece of cake for a fart smeller like you.
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
When they introduced computers into my old job I was lost also. You will get it, just takes time. There is always a up side and in my case it was that the locomotive cabs were equipped with a/c. The a/c pressured the cab keeping dirt out of their computers. We loved it!!!
Good to hear your doing good, Bill! Like anything its an adujstment, you will get it.

Glenn, I like the new sig pic and sig.
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Bill take it easy, it will work soon. Glad to hear something about you and your job.

Agree about the new sig pic and sig of Glenn.

Thanks guys! Your votes of confidence makes me feel better about it.......it really does. I appreciate it more than you guys know. It is a hard time right now being away from my family, starting a new job and practically a new life. With all the uncertainties and not knowing what will happen when, and when I'll actually be able to resume a somewhat normal life, every little bit helps.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey Bill. Good to see ya! Sounds like you are doing pretty good at your new job, I'm glad. That "techy" crap would be a pain for me too. Take care man, being away from your family so much must be the worst.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread