the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:14 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Maybe you could make an exception, and sell one VISE to Todd
woooo, watch it, last time I brought that topic up he got defensive. Besides, everyone likes holes in there hands

Old 06-09-2015, 12:37 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
woooo, watch it, last time I brought that topic up he got defensive. Besides, everyone likes holes in there hands
Yes I know that.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Evening fellas. Haven't been on much the last week or so. I got laid off last Friday, and have been on the phone, on line, and on edge all week trying to get another job lined up. I have another job, but the bad part is, it is North Carolina, about 4 1/2 hours from here. I'm going for the interview next Tuesday, but my brother in law who has worked there for 25+ years pulled some strings for me, and says he is 100% certain I have the job. I'll be a Senior Shop Technician at a Caterpillar dealer in the fork lift division. I'm gonna pull my camper down there and stay in it, and come home on the weekends until I can find some land. The plan is to find some land, build a shop on it, park the camper beside the shop, then start building a house. I plan on moving there for good. I am done with the coal industry and this state.

I know you've wanted to get out of the coal industry for a long time, so maybe this will be a blessing in disguise.

That is about the way it is Nate. It's not that the coal-fired plants don't want to comply. The problem is, the government has given the EPA so much power, and free rein to do what ever they want. They have just gotten so RADICAL with their regulations that it is impossible for the coal-fired plants to meet the EPA's standards, so they pay ridiculous fines daily, and where does that money come from......the consumer. They just keep increasing the consumer rates one increase right after another to the point where the average working guy can't afford his power bill. Which, the average working guy here is usually working in something that is coal related, so he probably doesn't even have a job now because so many of the coal-fired plants are trying to convert to gas to get away from the constant beating they are taking from the government and the EPA. Then, the other half of the problem is the coal operators themselves. When coal prices go up, the all jump in and mine like there is no tomorrow and flood the market. So then you get what you have now.....millions of tons of coal stock piled that they can't sell, because the prices have dropped so much, they can't sell it for what it cost to mine it. It is a vicious cycle that has gotten even worse in the last 7 years since the EPA has been given such a big stick to beat every body with. I have nothing against clean energy and or even alternative energy, but all the bleeding heart radicals in the EPA think they are gonna change the world over night themselves, when the truth is, even if they were successful in carrying out all of their far fetched plans of cleaning up this and cleaning up that, the percentage of positive effect that it would have on the world's emissions and climate problems....global warming, and all the rest of the BS that they have used as an excuse to stomp out millions of people's livings, would be so minimal, that our grand kid's great, great grand kids would be lucky to see a difference. I say that because there are so many other countries in this whole big old world that aren't doing any of this that America is doing to try to control emissions, so what we are doing is not even a drop in a bucket. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do anything, but these idiots in the EPA live in a fairy tale in their own over-payed minds.

That's just my opinion though.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel? LOL. I do tend to agree with you in regards to the absolute power the EPA has been granted. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya cant blame the poor guy for having a sour taste in his mouth. After speaking with him all weekend, you can see why someone in the coal industry and surrounding area wants clean out of the state.

What surprised me was how much the coal industry shutting down has taken a crap on the rest of the economy. One of his buddies stopped by (in a gorgeous Tourmaline green ext cab short bed) who hauls gravel. His job depends on the coal industry for the most part so hes feeling the crunch too.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
This was my cousins truck. Now it's his wife's. Can you tell lol.
Name:  AE4BC007-F5D0-466D-86CA-490EA9D52786_zps0szkyzau.png
Views: 92
Size:  776.4 KB
I thought the mirrors were bad cause I have never seen them down and never seen a trailer hooked to it, but now. WTF

Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no words for that.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Good luck Bill. I hope it all works out for the best for ya.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll be a Senior Shop Technician at a Caterpillar dealer in the fork lift division.
Congrats. Sounds pretty good. Even if we start buying all our stuff from China, the warehouses here and the folks building the warehouses will still need forklifts to move the Chinese crap and need it to work. Sounds like a good plan.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Coal is not in good favor right now because the power companies don't spend the money to 'scrub' the emissions. To clean the emissions is money they don't want to spend. It can be done!
It can be done, but at what cost? And how does that cost compare to the alternatives?

Originally Posted by cowmilker08
...... I do tend to agree with you in regards to the absolute power the EPA has been granted. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
And the scary thing now is they've got their eyes on water, and all the water run off that happens when it rains outside. Think your food is expensive now, wait till the farmers and ranchers have to pull a permit to fertilize, apply herbicide, pesticide, or even cut their own crop on their own land.

This was my cousins truck. Now it's his wife's. Can you tell lol.

I thought the mirrors were bad cause I have never seen them down and never seen a trailer hooked to it, but now. WTF
Yuk. You're wife likes Dodge's?

Won't comment on the color since my wife has a thing for that too. At least she has a 7.3

And of course the rear diff

Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
I guess you didn't read all of the post huh

P.s. Way to ruin a 7.3 LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 07:48 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I guess you didn't read all of the post huh

P.s. Way to ruin a 7.3 LOL
You mean you bother to read all the posts?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:09 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Just the ones I'm gonna quote

Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
What can I say Chris? I hauled coal trains all my life, should I be ashamed of myself for contributing to global warming? There is lots of alternatives out there, us human being just have to learn to stop chiting in our bed so our children and their children have a earth to live on. I've already said enough, I'm not going to get into a pissing match over it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:26 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Coal keeps the lights on...

Till we find full alternatives that really do in fact cover all aspects its a moot discussion.

I dislike gvt just like our founding fathers.

Glenn..never be ashamed of that. That is a life well spent!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:33 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
What can I say Chris? I hauled coal trains all my life, should I be ashamed of myself for contributing to global warming? There is lots of alternatives out there, us human being just have to learn to stop chiting in our bed so our children and their children have a earth to live on. I've already said enough, I'm not going to get into a pissing match over it.
LOL!! I didn't mean to start a pissing match buddy. I may have come off wrong. I agree with you too, and I'm not against alternative energy, or clean energy, But the EPA is making it impossible to comply with ridiculous regulations. Most of the coal mined in the US is going to China now. They and numerous other countries are burning the daylights out of it with little or no emissions control. It all goes into the same atmosphere. One little clean spec of sky above the US isn't gonna save the whole world. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do anything at all, but it seems that the EPA wants to fix all the world's pollution problems from right here, no matter the cost. I'm all for alternatives that will create jobs, keep everybody working, and stimulate the economy, but I haven't seen any of that here, and believe me, I've been looking! LOL!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:07 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is about the way it is Nate. It's not that the coal-fired plants don't want to comply. The problem is, the government has given the EPA so much power, and free rein to do what ever they want. They have just gotten so RADICAL with their regulations that it is impossible for the coal-fired plants to meet the EPA's standards, so they pay ridiculous fines daily, and where does that money come from......the consumer. They just keep increasing the consumer rates one increase right after another to the point where the average working guy can't afford his power bill. Which, the average working guy here is usually working in something that is coal related, so he probably doesn't even have a job now because so many of the coal-fired plants are trying to convert to gas to get away from the constant beating they are taking from the government and the EPA. Then, the other half of the problem is the coal operators themselves. When coal prices go up, the all jump in and mine like there is no tomorrow and flood the market. So then you get what you have now.....millions of tons of coal stock piled that they can't sell, because the prices have dropped so much, they can't sell it for what it cost to mine it. It is a vicious cycle that has gotten even worse in the last 7 years since the EPA has been given such a big stick to beat every body with. I have nothing against clean energy and or even alternative energy, but all the bleeding heart radicals in the EPA think they are gonna change the world over night themselves, when the truth is, even if they were successful in carrying out all of their far fetched plans of cleaning up this and cleaning up that, the percentage of positive effect that it would have on the world's emissions and climate problems....global warming, and all the rest of the BS that they have used as an excuse to stomp out millions of people's livings, would be so minimal, that our grand kid's great, great grand kids would be lucky to see a difference. I say that because there are so many other countries in this whole big old world that aren't doing any of this that America is doing to try to control emissions, so what we are doing is not even a drop in a bucket. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do anything, but these idiots in the EPA live in a fairy tale in their own over-payed minds.

That's just my opinion though.
LOL!! I didn't mean to start a pissing match buddy. I may have come off wrong. I agree with you too, and I'm not against alternative energy, or clean energy, But the EPA is making it impossible to comply with ridiculous regulations. Most of the coal mined in the US is going to China now. They and numerous other countries are burning the daylights out of it with little or no emissions control. It all goes into the same atmosphere. One little clean spec of sky above the US isn't gonna save the whole world. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do anything at all, but it seems that the EPA wants to fix all the world's pollution problems from right here, no matter the cost. I'm all for alternatives that will create jobs, keep everybody working, and stimulate the economy, but I haven't seen any of that here, and believe me, I've been looking! LOL!
Preach on, Brother Bill!! I can't argue with you here. I am in charge of a part of the "Sustainability" effort here at work, and I think it is important work, but it is most definitely possible to throw the baby out with the bath water and lose sight of the big picture. Yes, carbon emissions, water, efficiency, etc. but at the end of the day, you have to keep the big picture in mind and maintain some semblance of common sense. A perfect example is our cafeteria here at work. We got rid of all the disposable take-out containers (which were made from recycled paper, and were compostable (bio-degradable)) and payed boocoo bucks to buy all these reusable, plastic containers that people could return and they would be washed and used again. Yeah, they're disappearing at record rates. I think we have already bought three times the number of them that we actually use. People take them home and they never come back. I've personally witnessed the oblivious sheep throw away the REUSABLE, GREEN, PLASTIC containers in the garbage can. It's just stupid. And even if they get reused, that has a cost associated to it as well in terms of energy, time, water, and detergent to wash and dry them. There is a trade off to everything. It's a case of cause and effect, it's just difficult sometimes to sort through all the propaganda (on both sides) and see what the truth is. I don't claim to have all that figured out either.

I guess my point is that there are definitely ways that we can encourage efficiency (sustanability, whatever you want to call it), but when you give one big government bureaucracy the power to more or less control a major part of the economy, nobody wins. All you do is put some people out of work and make some others very, very wealthy. I for one, am not comfortable with anyone having that kind of power over me.

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread