1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Big Blackie - The Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Luke - That is amazing. I've been trying to figure out how to get a backup camera screen in the truck, and you may have shown me how. The downside is that I don't get the classic radio I wanted. Hmmmm.......

One thought I'd had was to put the backup screen in the ash tray. Or, in a mini-console like you built below the dash. Or, in place of the clock and its buttons. Did you consider anything like that? In other words, what other options did you think of and reject?
Why not use one of the rear view mirrors with the automatic monitor built in? They switch automatically with the reverse lights.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad from Oz
Why not use one of the rear view mirrors with the automatic monitor built in? They switch automatically with the reverse lights.
I don't want to hijack Luke's thread for Dad's truck ideas. But Kyle suggested using one of the GPS units that incorporate a rear view camera. And I have been looking at the rearview mirrors like you suggested, Brad. The only problem so far is that the mirror itself is around $500. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong vendor?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Not a hijack, I consider this a very interesting topic. As for the mirror systems, RearViewSafety has several to choose from in the $250 range (for a complete system with camera), and Amazon has quite a few in all prices.

Also, I just saw that RVS does in fact have a wi-fi cam that can stream to a phone! RVS-020813

Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
This is mind-boggling! Amazon has 448 different ones, from $1200 down. Rear View Safety has bunches. This is going to take some studying, for sure. What I've read says the CCD cameras are best, and that wide angle like maybe 110 degrees is good. And from an aesthetics standpoint I want a complete mirror and not one of the slip-over things. But I don't think I need wifi as I'm happy to wire it. But sorting through all of those systems is time-consuming. Guess I'll look for some comparisons.

Anyway, thanks!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rearview mirror cameras are small. The only ones I have seen are slipover mirrors.

I mentioned to Gary last night that I saw Magellan has a 5 inch GPS with a built in forward facing dash cam. It loop records in HD with full facing view. A magellan backup camera can also be added for use when reversing.

It has a shock sensor that when triggered records before, during, and after a crash. It time stamps and files it for future use.

It also has all the other features of any GPS. Costco has it in stock for 150 bucks. Most people would not even notice the dashcam on the GPS

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT...xjzaTRQYR_lKs-

Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Luke76
Elder User
That's an interesting device, and would consolidate three things into one.

The reason I decided to keep nav distinct from my other devices, is that I want the freedom to choose the software that I prefer, and the freedom to change it if I want. A nav system is only as good as the maps and the software running it, and that is an area where things are constantly changing so I did not want to be locked into one thing for all eternity.

Not to say my way is the best way, just explaining my decision-making process.

For the dash cam I chose the Mobius Action cam. There is a good review of it here. In fact the guy has a YouTube channel where he has basically reviewed every dash cam known to man, so if you are interested in them definitely check him out.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Kyle - That is an interesting device, but it doesn't seem to have the backup camera at that price. And
Amazon Amazon
wants $146 for it by itself. Am I missing something?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:02 PM
first today
Postmaster

I have not priced the back up camera yet. I want to see if any backup camera can be installed or if it is magellan specific.

Look at it this way though. How much would you normally pay for a gps with no dashcam and then install a seperate screen for rear camera vision?
It would be roughly the same with two screens on the windshield. This way would be one 5 inch screen larger than most add on backup screens.

300 for all is not unreasonable.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm not saying it is too high. In fact, it is a steal as I'd be happy to pay that and only get the rearview mirror and camera. But, actually, that's the combo I want as I don't need the GPS and want to keep the cab ..... simple. So, the hunt continues. Fortunately, I don't need it yet.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 PM
first today
Postmaster

You do not have to use the gps. You can set it to view through the camera.

You can record trips, scenic places, and peoples reactions to dads truck at car shows.

Most backup cameras only show the actual reverse picture while reversing and then cut off.

I think i am rationalizing myself into getting one.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Luke76
Elder User
While most backup cams are indeed linked to the backup lamps, you always have the option of adding a switch to fool the system into thinking it's in reverse (you need to use a diode to prevent it from lighting the rear-lights), so that you can view the camera in drive. Or if you have the camera as an input to a stereo, there may be options within the stereo to view the camera at other times (my JVC allows this).

Anyway it is something to think ahead about (if you are going to install a switch), because I find it quite useful as a second "rearview mirror" while driving. The wide angle lens does a good job of illuminating my blind-spot, and if I had a camper in the bed my regular rear-view mirror would be useless anyway.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Kyle - I think you already have talked yourself into getting it. And if I thought I needed GPS then I'd be interested as well.

As for the backup camera, I plan to install a switch so I can use it at other times than in reverse. Like to check the trailer while going down the road. So I'm thinking I want it mounted either on top of the bumper or as part of the license tag frame.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 PM
first today
Postmaster

Luke, i agree with you on the uses. I was thinking of mounting a rear cam up by my cab brake light so i could see the cargo in my truck a bit better.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I thought about the 3rd brake/cargo light area as someone had a combo with all three things in one package, but you can't see the trailer hitch from there if the gate is on. And I think the camera will be a big help in hooking up w/o running into the tongue.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Luke76
Elder User
Finally got a picture of my backup cam, it is mounted just under the bumper. I need to put some silicone in the small microphone hole since I am not using the feature.

The picture quality isn't what we're all probably used to in today's age of high definition tablets, but I don't think that is anything unique to the RearViewSafety camera. I think they are all about the same (480 TV lines on the monitor).

The camera itself is very impressive in construction. The case is solid metal and weighs over a pound, and the glass is real glass that seems quite thick.

PS: I know I'm not hiding the license plate, but I don't really see the point. Hundreds of people can see my license plate every time I drive to the grocery store, it's no big secret.

Quick Reply: Big Blackie - The Build