Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
New User

Zaxbig89f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Veg oil swap

I have a 89 7.3 idi it has two tanks I was told if I run 100% filtered oil in one tank and 100% diesel in the rear tank crank and shutdown on diesel and run on veg oil during operation it would work fine is this true also can you run hydraulic oil or anything other than veg oil thanks for help
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Running WVO (waste veggie oil) Requires heating the WVO BEFORE using it and starting and stopping on reg diesel. Using any waste oil (motor, or trans) is not a good idea. Take a look at a Blackstone oil analysis to see just what nasty chemicals and metals are in it...............

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
New User

Zaxbig89f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So if it is warm you still have to heat if so can you buy tank heaters and also if you mix do you have to heat
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
They will seperate if mixed. Try here for more info: WVO Diesel Conversion | SVO Grease Conversion | Ford Vegistroke Powerstroke | Biodiesel Conversion

You can also do a search of this forum........

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior User

linus72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
first...I'm no expert, and have only been running variations of many fuels for like a month, and have had some issues along the way...my two cents follows-

first I kinda disagree with fabmandelux's statement that WVO and diesel will separate...I take it you mean they will separate if left sitting still for a period of time?
I did my own test and used a 50/50 mix of WVO/diesel and let it sit for 3 days in a glass at room temp and I could notice some separation...
But, in a truck that's turning corners and going up and down hills I doubt very seriously it would separate or am I wrong?

second, my mistake was in mixing WMO and WVO, never let them mix because it forms into little black globules and is currently clogging my filters...so get all the motor oil out of the tanks before running WVO...

I never actually started my truck cold on 100% WVO, but am currently using a 50/50 mix and it starts cold just fine at about a 50-60 degree temp in the morning

I am putting like 1000miles a week on this truck and have had zero problems running the WVO whether the truck was cold or hot.

I have noticed that when the truck is running on 100% WVO it is much smoother and quieter and seems to have more power...but it's definitely smoother and not alot of knocking like with reg diesel.

my only suggestion besides fabricating a WVO heater would be to filter it as best as possible.
I plan to fabricate a pre-heater using the coolant lines.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
But, in a truck that's turning corners and going up and down hills I doubt very seriously it would separate or am I wrong?

I never actually started my truck cold on 100% WVO, but am currently using a 50/50 mix and it starts cold just fine at about a 50-60 degree temp in the morning
What about before ya start it up in the AM? The fuel pick-up is in the VERY bottom of the tank, so anything that settled out is first thing to be sucked out at start-up.

Truck will likely start and run 'fine' on 100% WVO with warm enough ambient temps. However, the lack of complete combustion from trying to spray this goo through the injectors will slowly cause coking/carbon build-up that will cause major problems. Also, during warm-up all diesels have alot of blowby. Your diesel engine oil has disperants, etc in it to help keep diesel contamination from being a problem - but WVO in the crankcase rapidly polymerizes and prevents adequate lubrication. I have seen many 'blenders' stop after getting a couple of nasty UOA's back. Between the coking in ringland scoring the cylinder walls and poor lubrication of parts - the wear levels in engines that are 'blending' WVO tend to be very high.

That said, it is a slow death and there is no cheap recovery. Once it starts to 'run bad', the damage is done. No worries though, there have been LOTS of people who have made these mistakes and we have learned from them!

I have over 250k miles running WVO and have yet to have the first fuel-related problem. I average burning WVO about 75% of the miles I drive and have been as far as 10,000 miles on a single tank of diesel. Yes, I spent a few $$ setting my truck up - but I got that back so long ago the cost is irrelevant. My advice is do it right and reap the benefits of nearly-free fuel without all the problems (like you've already had...)

If not, Please Post Pics of the Carnage!! We love that stuff.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
you right there sky..
not much better than engine guts ****!
and the more i read about it... i cant see why everyone isnt running wvo... will be the absolute first modification i make to my truck when i get her home... so anxious. and i just broke that fingernail biting thing too!

she is awaiting a front axle seal job (4x4) and she should be good to go. hoping the tires hold up for a while... shes been sitting about 2 yrs...

anything in particular i should bolo for on a 7.3ps that has sat for so long?

xtof
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM