1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Tilt forward hood - any interest????

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 PM
kstones63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tilt forward hood - any interest????

I am considering building a forward tilting hood kit for the 67-72 Ford trucks. Is there any interest in this type of kit before I spend a lot of time building it?
I built the kits for the 61-66 Fords and have had a lot of interest in them. It has really drawn a lot of attention to my truck since I put it on there.
Here are a couple of pics of mine. THis is with the hood part way open to check the oil and water.

This is with the hood all the way open.

This kit uses the stock hood latch and safety.
Please let me know if there might be any interest so I can decide if I want to proceed with this project.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 PM
flip4eva83
Senior User
That is sweet, I would definitely want one depending on cost.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
kstones63
Senior User
Originally Posted by flip4eva83
That is sweet, I would definitely want one depending on cost.
PM sent.

If I do these, they will be a direct fit for the 67-72 Ford trucks, not a universal kit to fit everything but fit nothing correctly.
It surprised me how much attention that it draws to my truck. It draws people in because they don't see this very often and then they really start to look at the truck and all the modifications.

Kevin

Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM
davidmoss1992
Senior User
Depending on the price, it looks awesome! I agree it looks good

Old 04-15-2012, 04:38 PM
kstones63
Senior User
I guess that the price would be important. I just didn't want this to become a "for sale" ad because that is not my intention. I am looking for feedback to see if it is worthwhile to pursue. I have been selling the kits for the 61-66 Fords for $650 in bare steel + shipping. I hope that the ones for the 67-72 will be at the same price.
This kit is fully adjustable so you can line up the back hood gap, pull the side of the hood in or out to line up with the cowl and can be adjusted up or down in the back to line up with the cowl.
That being said, here are some pics of the way that the mounts are in my 63 F100.
This is the back where the roller sits on and locks in place when the hood is closed.

This is the front mount where the hood pivots. The aluminum tube comes over and sits on the rubber bump stop when its all the way open.

I would use the same concept but all the brackets will need to be different because of the hood and fender design. The people that have installed these have reported back that it is less than a 4 hour job to install. Basic hand tools are required along with a drill and some bits.

Kevin

Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM
codafisler
Junior User
i have a question. im kinda confused.
does the kit just come with the hardware? or a new special made hood?
kinda of a dumb question....
i am very interested in getting one of these though wen/if you do start making them.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM
davidmoss1992
Senior User
At that price, it wouldnt go on my truck most likely, not saying its not worth it. My trucks not a show truck by any means. If it was a super slick trailer queen than I would do it. It looks like a good product.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM
kstones63
Senior User
It will be all the hardware, mounts, shocks, bolts and nuts required to install on your existing hood. Drill templates will be in the kit and instructions. It will be set up to mount into existing holes as much as possible with drilling as few holes as possible. The back roller brackets will mount onto the hood where the hinges mount. The roller bracket on the fender apron will be able to mount where the hinge mounts without any drilling, I hope.
This will be a few months out before I get a prototype finished and then a while longer before I can get everything lined up with the waterjet cutter to get parts cut.

Kevin

Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM
kstones63
Senior User
Originally Posted by davidmoss1992
At that price, it wouldnt go on my truck most likely, not saying its not worth it. My trucks not a show truck by any means. If it was a super slick trailer queen than I would do it. It looks like a good product.
I agree that it won't be for everybody. It has to be for the person that wants to do something different than everybody else or has several custom features on their truck. Or even a "rat rod" style truck.
It isn't cheap because there are a lot of parts to made and purchased to get them assembled. I know I don't want to go to China to have them made.
It definetely is not for a purist.
I built mine for my 63 because it has so many minor custom features to it that I wanted to draw attention to the truck. It seems that most of the 61-66 Fords, people will walk right by unless you can get their attention and then they will look the truck over and appreciate what has been done to it.
Sliding taillight with the fuel filler behind it.
Third brake light molded into the tailgate
The bed seam was welded to create the same radius all the way to the front of the bed.
Cowl vents removed and filled.
4.6L DOHC fuel injected V-8 W/ 4r70W trans.
Digital gauges, a/c, pdl, cruise
Homebuilt power windows and the list can keep on going.

Kevin

Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
sleep_deprived129
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be awesome, I couldn't use it personally as I have a brush guard on the front of my bumpside but I feel like there would be a decent amount of interest for it.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 PM
kstones63
Senior User
I have my rough prototype finished and it works great. I am in the process of getting the laser cutter to get the final prototype cut and bent so I can make sure that it still works properly. If that all goes well, I should have these kits available within a couple of months.

Kevin

Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 AM
1968 F100 Ranger
Senior User
I would defiantly be interested. Very cool.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely be interested but not so sure at $650.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:40 PM
kstones63
Senior User
The price is going down to $585 + shipping. I have been building enough of the 61-66 Fords that I am now getting better pricing on some of the parts. The last time that I ordered parts, I ordered enough to do the 67-72 as well so that I could get better pricing.

Kevin

Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
awesome looking product and i hate to knock it but price is high most people that would want this couldn't justify even the low low price of $585 .... in my honest opinion there is only enough parts there to barely clear the $300 mark and that is with them painted it is a pretty simple design i don't see anything other than the brackets that you couldn't pick up from an auto parts store or a hardware store.....but you know what they say "an opinion is like an ********* everyone has one and it usually stinks"

Quick Reply: Tilt forward hood - any interest????