Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Sudden Downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
ScottyPAford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is having similar problems. I just made a thread about it. I work at one of the Ford Dealerships. I'm just a car porter, but I know a few things about cars, but my expertise is not in transmissions. I was going up my street and I was under 20mph-- just got to it and then it revved up to 3200-3500 and my truck shooked and I took my foot off the pedal. It just let it downshift its way down and then I went to my friends house. He's a mechanics for toyota, but they give him all the Fords that come in since he knows everything about Fords. He noticed my truck will shake the same way before it shifts as well. I'm not sure what is going on. I thought it was the weather issue, but its more than the temp. that is causing this. Not sure what to do. . . but I am taking my truck on my day off tomorrow into work for my inspection.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM
P-shaun
New User
I posted a message earlier today voicing my frustration with my 2011 F-150 Ecoboost. The issue is becoming more frequent now that I have nearly 18,000 miles on it. I took mine in twice, they know there is a problem, but they don't know how to fix it. I also have a sputtering problem at times. This must be a major issue since my dealer has 6 - 7 waiting for parts for the same repair. I have to wait until late March for parts. I'm not real happy with Ford right now. Not sure if this helps you, but it helps me to vent.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
I'll be curious to see what they find. Mine did it a few times last week when I was home, once on some black ice and slid the rear wheels. I'm going to try to leave it at my local dealer in early February, to see what they can come up with.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 AM
P-shaun
New User
I hope it's an easy fix, but I doubt it. Please let us know the outcome.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
Dealer never could find anything wrong. Due to this and a recurring electrical problem in the drivers door, first with the doorlocks and then with the window, I traded it off at a loss for a 2013 last spring. Lo and behold, today it downshifted from 6th to 3rd twice on the way to town, about 15 miles! Road is slick and snowy, and it sure shakes my confidence when this happens.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Northroadak
Dealer never could find anything wrong. Due to this and a recurring electrical problem in the drivers door, first with the doorlocks and then with the window, I traded it off at a loss for a 2013 last spring. Lo and behold, today it downshifted from 6th to 3rd twice on the way to town, about 15 miles! Road is slick and snowy, and it sure shakes my confidence when this happens.
I want to jump in and do what I can to help, Northroadak. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get this into the hands of folks who can help.

Crystal

Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, North, hope ye get'er fixed! Ford has got to get this kind of mess straightened out!

Speaking of Ice Road Truck, I've been about as far as Coldfoot on haul road, but it was July, 2000. We camped way up there. I was prepared for everything, including them Alaska helicopters, except the sun! A boy can get sunburned mighty quick up there where the air is thin and close to sun. Truckers told me they'd rather drive in winter on haul road. Rocks, dust I reckon makes summer rough. Hey, that place is rough all the time! No wonder Alaska still only has about 600,000 hardy souls living there. Me? I was born for the tropics.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
Perhaps I should reword that, Crystal. My 2011 was the one with the big downshifting problem. I got rid of that one because of that and other recurring electrical problems. Now my new 2013 XLT is doing the same darn thing! Our roads are very snowy the last few days and I wonder if that could have anything to do with it? I haven't been to the dealer yet with this one, and due to my work schedule(I'm gone for 3 or 4 weeks at a time) probably won't be able to until late February. Thanks for your concern, I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
North, I canno' imagine cold, snow, rain, etc. causing this. I mean trucks were born in Michigan! At least that's kind of the way I see it. I could be wrong, I thought I was one time, but I was mistaken about it.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Papabear1317
New User
I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost and mine is doing the same thing, driving at 40-50 mph it will shift down to 4th, 3rd, and sometime all the way to 1st. The temp. here right now is 70-80 degrees. I have taken the truck to the dealer 3 times now and they keep telling me that there are no codes coming up and when they drive it they can not reproduce the problem. I would press the LEMON LAW on this and tell them to give a new truck but after reading this forum I am not sure I would want a new Ford truck. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with 211,000 miles on it that i just replaced both the motor and transmission and i just sold a 1999 F250, which i should have kept, that had 184,000 miles on it. As you can see I like Ford trucks, but if this is the product that Ford is putting out I my have to switch to a Chevy or Dodge.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Northroadak
Junior User
My '13 did it once today, while I was bucking a strong headwind. It's been a few months now, but it seems like it's always been windy when it would happen, like it would downshift on a strong gust.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Papabear1317
New User
Mine is at the dealership right now and again they say it is not failing (sudden downshifting). I only have about 500 miles until the warrenty runs out so I wonder if they are waiting until then and come back and say, oh we got a code this time and it is the computer and to get it replaced you will have to pay for it.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Papabear1317
New User
My '13 did it once today, while I was bucking a strong headwind. It's been a few months now, but it seems like it's always been windy when it would happen, like it would downshift on a strong gust.

With mine it was sunny, calm and no wind, temp around 65-70.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you ever had your dealer take a look at this, Northroadak? What's the current mileage on the truck?

Originally Posted by Papabear1317
Mine is at the dealership right now and again they say it is not failing (sudden downshifting). I only have about 500 miles until the warrenty runs out so I wonder if they are waiting until then and come back and say, oh we got a code this time and it is the computer and to get it replaced you will have to pay for it.
I'd like to see what I can do to help, Papabear1317. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll check out some options.

Crystal

Old 02-12-2016, 06:25 AM
Papabear1317
New User
Sudden Downshift

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply back but I traded in my 2012 F150 Ecoboost back in February of 2015 for a 2014 F150 with a 5.0 in it, getting about the same gas mileage as the Ecoboost. Come to find out that in the 2012 their is some kind of module in the the transmission that was shorting out due to metal filling getting on the contacts. The dealership replaced it and sold it to someone else and so far they have not brought it back in for any problems with it downshifting.
I wonder if maybe the put something over the contacts after they replaced it to keep it from shorting out again?

Quick Reply: Sudden Downshift?