1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Black is the new black and coordinates much better than the putty-colored door panels and arm rests that came with the parchment bench seat upholstery. Black and New Lime looks great IMO.

Yesterday I lined the doors with Hushmat which came in 12"x23.5" sheets. The upper part of the door, between the mirror mount and door handle, is 7"x23.5". Sections on the large plain of the door are 6"x12" for easier handling through the door shell opening. Then small sections were cut as fillers. Coverage is more than 75 percent.

Foam weatherstripping was applied to the perimeter of each door panel using the same technique applied to the transmission cover. Each door panel requires about 10 feet which is how the self-adhesive strips were packaged for a nice low $3.49 per bag. There were wear marks on the back of each panel where it had rubbed against the door shell so short strips of foam were applied to those areas to stave off vibration. I heated a finish nail with a cigarette lighter and melted the screw through-holes so the screws would not grab the foam. Worked great! The paint is..... Rustoleum Engine Enamel in semi-gloss black - same as everywhere else.

The door panel was positioned using a couple of screws and then the remainder of the screws loosely installed. The screws were tightened in sequence so the foam would be "crushed" evenly and the metal not bend or divot. They're snug for now and they'll get tightened until the foam achieves its final crush. The arm rests are $50 or $60 per pair from NPD.

The next step is to find some carpet for the bare area btwn the seats, fab up a bracket/base for the 96 XLT console for its eventual installation.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:50 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Looks great, man!!

Old 08-10-2015, 08:54 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
INTERIOR IS REALLY LOOKING GOOD , I am so wanting to lower mine , after seeing yours

Old 08-10-2015, 10:33 AM
mjunk1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks terrific. I like my bench seat, but those bucket seats really look perfect in there. Super clean.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:05 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Way nice amigo, and you've got to love the 'hush' sound, when the doors close. I did it the way you did, and put the Hushmat in the door in 3 strips...worked well. I used aluminum duct tape on the edges, just to seal it up.. Love that heavy 'Thunk' the door makes now... my windows still rattle, so that is next on the list...

Hushmat inside door...

Old 08-10-2015, 03:50 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Sweet.. that's like 95 percent coverage. THUD.

But daggummit it... seeing your window track just reminded me that I forgot to clean and lube the window regulator on the passenger side. Doh! I'll get to it next time....

Old 08-10-2015, 05:18 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Hio; first of all thanks for all the help on my build. Interior is on its way into to being gorgeous! Keep up the good work!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
71Nky
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great there

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The interior looks great HIO, well done! A couple months ago I got new armrests from DC. When I open the door from the inside, the chrome door latch paddle touches the grip area on the arm rest. I can't adjust the arm rest up any higher and I can't move the paddle any lower. I wonder if the DC and NPD get their armrests from the same manufacturer? Are you having any problems?

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you have going on for the seat belts in the middle HIO? Do they have "stands" to hold them up by the seats side?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:13 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by hivoltj
Hio; first of all thanks for all the help on my build. Interior is on its way into to being gorgeous! Keep up the good work!
Thanks. Glad to help and share.

Originally Posted by 71Nky
Looks great there
Booyah! It has been a long road... my other projects are pining for attention.

Originally Posted by Tomahawk
The interior looks great HIO, well done! A couple months ago I got new armrests from DC. When I open the door from the inside, the chrome door latch paddle touches the grip area on the arm rest. I can't adjust the arm rest up any higher and I can't move the paddle any lower. I wonder if the DC and NPD get their armrests from the same manufacturer? Are you having any problems?
I just went and checked the clearances and have no issue. The armrests are molded with recesses and the paddles clear with no contact. Lemme know if you need a pic... I can compare old vs OEM if needed.

Originally Posted by blue04.5
What do you have going on for the seat belts in the middle HIO? Do they have "stands" to hold them up by the seats side?
No stands. The middle seatbelt will be removed when the console gets installed. In my Mustang, I put the seatbelt latch in the cup holders before getting out. Hmm... I wonder if big Bronco seatbelts (three-point) would work. Gonna have to look into that. I hope them friggin things aren't metric!!!

I'm gonna use the console on the left because the Sport R foam bolsters are so thick. No problem.. the more square console will end up either in my 71 or 73.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:04 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
I have the same console in my 93F250 4wd. And you have given me thought of using one instead of the icechest I am using now? Break trail, on the point soldier.

Baja

Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This was a total brain fart. I forgot I put a couple washers behind the handle cup. That pushed the paddle out too far. I was trying to keep the handle cup from distorting when I tightened the nuts on the latch paddle. I believe this all stems from the extra door panel I have.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nope Gavin, brain farts are caused by having to much on your plate.

chit Happens!

Orich

Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
This was a total brain fart. I forgot I put a couple washers behind the handle cup. That pushed the paddle out too far. I was trying to keep the handle cup from distorting when I tightened the nuts on the latch paddle. I believe this all stems from the extra door panel I have.
No problem.. It happens to all of us....On my 73, I'm pretty sure I forgot to reinstall a lil light bulb and pig tail to light up the headlight and wiper switches... that means I gotta take that out that friggin' dash cluster again.

One time I was helping my buddy reinstall the C6 in his 65 T-bird. He managed to get it out by himself but wanted a helper for this go-round...... after he got the converter seated, lined up with the flex plate, and a couple of bell housing bolts started I picked up a rag off the bench to wipe my hands and a big "washer" with holes around its perimeter fell out. I showed it to him and asked what it was..... it was the reinforcement ring that goes under the flex plate bolts. Guh.

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build