6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Oh oh, She exploded :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
VERY true...that's my plan! It's just a shame that all the EPA junk has significantly compromised the integrity and longevity of the current generation of diesel engines...which is the main reason why a lot of people bought them to begin with! Unbelievable...

Oh big time... Not to you personally, but I'm actually sick of hearing about the 7.3. Yeah, it was awesome, it's over. Smart a$$ comment, put a 7.3 or 5.9 cummins in it ...yay. Those old engines were awesome, but they were simply not capable of operating in the newer trucks from the factory.

It's gonna cost me around $7+K (on the motor alone; parts and labor only, not including anything else) to get my truck "bulletproofed" (famous last words!) on top of the money I've already spent and I'm only willing to do that since I bought the truck brand new (leftover) and plan on driving it well into the Zombie Apocalypse...

Why that much?

And I wonder why people think I'm nuts to do this on a truck that stickered @ $61K when I bought it.
I don't think you're nuts. What good is spending 61,000$ on a truck if it wears out from the emission crap just past warranty.

The stress put on these engines from emission junk is ridiculous. Everything is getting pushed to the limit, and lifespan seems to have been sacrificed before anything else.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM
frdfan
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the truck brand new (leftover) and plan on driving it well into the Zombie Apocalypse...
Ronin,,that is why I'm doing all my mods also, as I told my wife we can not break down towing our 5ver during said zombie Apocalypse.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
EMP weapons will destroy any vehicle requiring a computer, post zombie apocalypse.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by parkland
I don't think you're nuts. What good is spending 61,000$ on a truck if it wears out from the emission crap just past warranty.

The stress put on these engines from emission junk is ridiculous. Everything is getting pushed to the limit, and lifespan seems to have been sacrificed before anything else.
Exactly! That's why when I finally finished with my powertrain mods I fully expect this motor to run as long and strong as a good ole 7.3. With an AirDog for fuel filtration, AMSOIL bypass for the oil and DieselSite for the tranny and coolant (and the Blackstone analysis to go along with it and dip strips for the coolant) combined with full EGR delete, headstuds and wastegate I SHOULD have around 550 RWHP and 1100+ RWTorque and be near bulletproof and ultra-reliable...and no warranty!

It's amazing these motors are as powerful as they are to begin with, but it's easy to see why this EPA garbage kills it slowly...

Originally Posted by frdfan
Ronin,that is why I'm doing all my mods also, as I told my wife we can not break down towing our 5ver during said zombie Apocalypse.
Don't forget a new Colt SP901 (.308) with an spare .223 upper receiver/mags/ammo while you're at it!

EMP weapons will destroy any vehicle requiring a computer, post zombie apocalypse.
Tin foil truck cover! Matches my tin foil hat! Watch out for those black helicopters too...

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,454 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Exactly! That's why when I finally finished with my powertrain mods I fully expect this motor to run as long and strong as a good ole 7.3. With an AirDog for fuel filtration, AMSOIL bypass for the oil and DieselSite for the tranny and coolant (and the Blackstone analysis to go along with it and dip strips for the coolant) combined with full EGR delete, headstuds and wastegate I SHOULD have around 550 RWHP and 1100+ RWTorque and be near bulletproof and ultra-reliable...and no warranty!

It's amazing these motors are as powerful as they are to begin with, but it's easy to see why this EPA garbage kills it slowly...

Don't forgot a new Colt SP901 with an extra .223 upper receiver/mags/ammo while you're at it!

Tin foil truck cover! Matches my tin foil hat! Watch out for those black helicopters too...

Just think of the improved mpg's you will be getting with all the scrap metal missing

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
also don't forget that the 6.4 needs to warm up before big power.

The pistons are a little undersized to allow for extended high EGT operation, so there has to be a ritual for warming it up.

Too much warming up = wet stacking.
Too little = excessive piston wear.

I always tried to start it, and start rolling relatively quick, slowly adding RPM's... as to not drive hard, yet give it a chance to warm up.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
also don't forget that the 6.4 needs to warm up before big power.

The pistons are a little undersized to allow for extended high EGT operation, so there has to be a ritual for warming it up.

Too much warming up = wet stacking.
Too little = excessive piston wear.

I always tried to start it, and start rolling relatively quick, slowly adding RPM's... as to not drive hard, yet give it a chance to warm up.
This is a very good point that many seem to overlook.
My neighbor just jumps into his truck and take off on cold mornings. I have talked to him about this, but he is a dumb A$$.
Now for the good stuff.......
Remember the cross-bow is a very good weapon for the Zombie also.
(Ronin AKA: Hi-fire power Zombie Killer that he is)
AND you can get them on Amazon!!!
~Mike~

Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
Senix:Just think of the improved mpg's you will be getting with all the scrap metal missing.

Has anybody estimated how much weight we are saving deleting the coolers, valve and other what nots?
I will bet it is enough to put a nice grill on the front with hardly any weight transfer.
~Mike~

Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
i'm guessing all deleted would save about 100 lbs under the hood.

another 70 lb ish on the exhaust.
As for the warm ups, I did a ton of reading one night, and yes, hard cold driving could be very hard on an engine with smaller pistons like the 6.4.

There were a few GM gas engines that had undersized pistons for performance, and lots died under 100,000 miles from driving before warmed up, or so the story goes.

The theory is that until the piston warms up, there is less contact area against the block, thus accelerated wear. This kinda sucks on a diesel that you can't leave idling much without plugging up pretty quick.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Good points about warming up. As a rule, I won't take it over the 1750 RPM hash mark until it's at least 160 degrees; 2K RPM max. I also NEVER go WOT until I'm at full operating temp, regardless of how tempted I might be...

Rolling on the throttle is good advice period, some many people that don't know better drive diesels like they're gassers and regardless of how snappy your tip-in or throttle response is, you're always better off rolling on rather than stomping the skinny pedal.

I won't plug in unless it's REAL cold (teens or low 20s or colder). I have the high-idle mod done, but it won't kick on with the remote start, which is kind of stupid.

I might save some weight with getting that crap off my motor, but with the high cap PML diff and tranny pans, Titan 51-gallon tank and all of my filtering systems (oil, tranny and coolant)...I'm adding it right back on. But I like to look at it as working out and getting lean with less fat and more muscle!

I'll be doing my lower/leveling too soon with 4400# springs and hopefully a nice BakFlip F1 (with built in tool box). Figure that will improve ride, handling and possible mileage. Traction bars too to get the power to the ground too...

And I'm sure there's some stuff I'm missing!

And like Mike says, and as readily demonstrated on the "Walking Dead" the crossbow is an excellent zombie killer, especially if you "recycle" your bolts!

Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,454 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Here's the deal. The 6.4 is a heavy boosted motor. During the design they used keystone rings for the upper ring. This ring fits loose so during the heavy load/heavy boost situations and the associated heat buildup it will create the necessary seal.

If it were the other way around then you would have a problem.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:27 AM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
Ya know guys, these are really great posts from some experts that have been around awhile...
Unlike me, where this is my first Diesel, and learning every day from you all.
Being a bit older than most, I have really come to the understanding that these rigs can do many great things for us if treated properly.
Swear upon my Beagles grave, my grand father had an old Dodge farm truck that had something like 1,040.000 some odd miles on it before the body finally "Melted away".
And then he used the motor to run his generator for 100's of hours after that.
Same Engine
Heads off once for valve work
(2) crank bearings
GREAT Maintenance
Simply amazing!!!
My goal is 250,000 and I want to go from there
~Mike~
Ronin-
Bolts will be collected at every opportunity, and reused when possible

Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by senix
Here's the deal. The 6.4 is a heavy boosted motor. During the design they used keystone rings for the upper ring. This ring fits loose so during the heavy load/heavy boost situations and the associated heat buildup it will create the necessary seal.

If it were the other way around then you would have a problem.
Yes but the piston's themselves are also undersized to allow for more expansion, right?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes but the piston's themselves are also undersized to allow for more expansion, right?

It's like that on all internal combustion engines. You have to allow for heat expansion.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by R-T0r21on
It's like that on all internal combustion engines. You have to allow for heat expansion.
yes , but the 6.4 is taking it a little further.

Quick Reply: Oh oh, She exploded :(