6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Looking for Tuned 6.0's that have not been studded

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 PM
p8ntballer442
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Tuned 6.0's that have not been studded

I'm just curious of how many people are out there with Tuned trucks that have not upgraded their Studs. How long have you been running with a tune? And what has your repair experiences been since you tuned the truck?

Thinking about tuning the truck with my tax refund. SCT with Matt's SRL from Gearhead. I have not upgraded my studs and I really have no reason I need to tune it...I just want to.

What are your thoughts? Please Chime in!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by p8ntballer442
I'm just curious of how many people are out there with Tuned trucks that have not upgraded their Studs. How long have you been running with a tune? And what has your repair experiences been since you tuned the truck?

Thinking about tuning the truck with my tax refund. SCT with Matt's SRL from Gearhead. I have not upgraded my studs and I really have no reason I need to tune it...I just want to.

This is a great idea for a poll!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM
highteckredneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by p8ntballer442

i beleive it all depends on what you do with your truck once its tuned. im running banks 6 gun and keep it on level 4 but i have more power if needed. as long as your not pulling massive amounts of boost then the studs wont strech but it just a matter of time once you add the tune. be sure you do add some type of gauges or scan gauge for EGT's and BOOST pressure and whatever else you want. my trucks been tuned for alomost a year now and not to many problems but i do have a reserve acount for new studs egr delete, injectors, and some other parts. like they say if it aint broke dont fix it.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
once you tune a Fuel Pressure gauge is High Priority IMO

Some say EGT Gauge to but I dont see anybody burning them (TURBO) up either as a result of being tuned either

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM
highteckredneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
once you tune a Fuel Pressure gauge is High Priority IMO

Some say EGT Gauge to but I dont see anybody burning them (TURBO) up either as a result of being tuned either
ive heard that you want watch how hot the air is going into the turbo so you dont cause any problems once you tune the engine. its just a warning as to not cause to much damage to the turbo.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Dlinzy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 SCT Eric ID mild street tunes.

Just driven around town and highway towing 4 wheeler and bass boat.

My purpose was to have a little fun and make the truck more enjoyable, but nothing extreme = 500 Hp racing or striping.

It lasted about 35K miles, not bad all things considered.
went from ~65K in 2006 to 120K last month.

I'm now where you'll be so plan accordingly as in my opinion it's inevitable and unavoidable.

Sooo here's what I'm doing now that i have to:
ARP Studs
OEM Gaskets
Warren Diesel 155 Stock Nozzels
FICM Herc Tune
I.D. Extreme Street Tune
Rear fuel hose.
new serp belt & tensioner
Possibly Snow Meth Kit (still in box)
Vent CCV to Atmos.
Dummy plugs
Banjo Bolts
Stand Pipes

What I've done in the last 3 months....
Scan Gauge II
Sin Die. Coolant filter
Blue Spring
Oil Cooler 2x, 1st 1 clogged from flushing
CAT ELC Coolant
HPOP
STC
ICP
Rotella T6
Rev-X
MBRP T-Bk No Cat
ICON 4.5"
Toyo 35's

Budget for about $6K in upgrades and you should have a bad **** Truck.

My .02 YMMV

Denny

Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by highteckredneck
ive heard that you want watch how hot the air is going into the turbo so you dont cause any problems once you tune the engine. its just a warning as to not cause to much damage to the turbo.
Oh ya Im with ya want to watch the temp as not to cook the turbo

Mainly let it cool before shutdown its a Great Idea to watch it with a Gauge

I just dont see to many turbo getting cooked say like a guy hits 1600* and then says Crap hit the Fan at that point

Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
I thought the reason to avoid those extremly high temps, was the engine! With the hot tunes out there, those temps could easly be exceded when towing or full bore up a mountain pass!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run an evil Edge tuner in the 100 HP tune at all times, cept towing.

I've got almost 300k and have been running it awhile now. No studs...

Not saying nothing will ever happen, but it's a risk you take on any tuned vehicle. I've not had anything I would consider tune related repairs yet...

Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dlibson
I run an evil Edge tuner in the 100 HP tune at all times, cept towing.

Edge isnt a problem with a standard Trans

Its the Auto trans that have to be careful

But theres always a risk of stretching the Bolts I guess

Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Curt's05
I thought the reason to avoid those extremly high temps, was the engine! With the hot tunes out there, those temps could easly be exceded when towing or full bore up a mountain pass!

No its the Turbo that have to watch the Temps for mainly I might be wrong but to hot and the turbo cooks the oil

Maybe a Slight risk with an EGR Cooler but if it has good coolant flow the hot EGR Gasses should cool ok

other than alittle Hot exhaust gas going threw the EGR System all the Hot exhaust goes to the Turbo and then out the Tailpipe

Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
I am not studded. I've been tuned now for about 6 months with SCT GearHeadz Matt's SRL tune. I installed a 5'' turbo back, fuel PSI gauge, & EGT gauge before throwing the tune on. So much more power now & trans shifts like a wet dream. Like a shift kit when you get on it. I got on it only a few times since tuning it, but know its there if I need it. I actually like Matts 8K tow tune too. Not as hot of a tune as the SRL but with the same great trans shifting characteristics. If your not going to beat the **** out of it I would do it but if you have self control issues I would stay away because you may end up having to put studs in it real quick then!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Ian123
Posting Guru
If you don't dog on it too bad I think you should be alright. Personally I'm not taking the chance, because worst case scenario I don't have the money for studs right now.

Also, a lot of guys that blow the gaskets are really hard on their trucks. I saw someone post the other day they were pulling a fifth wheel uphill and for like 10 minutes straight just had the pedal to the floor. A couple other guys replied and said they do the same. I was shocked that our trucks could handle that, I would never put mine through that kind of torture!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 AM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an Edge Juice Attitude and drove it around on the first 3 settings only 1) Milage 2) Towing 3)Driving and I blew my head gaskets. Only had the programmer for maybe 30,000kms

Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 AM
highteckredneck
Senior User
it also depends on what year model to, some of the earlier 6.0 had lots of problems

Quick Reply: Looking for Tuned 6.0's that have not been studded