302 truck engine questions, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM
my93
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 truck engine questions, need advice

In another post I asked for 302 id # F7SE (could be a F1SE) engine, Reason being is I've looked at the engine to buy it as long as some things can be answered.
The engine is a crate engine never installled that was ordered for a 99 mountaineer (I have a F150 93 302). It is a full crate engine from bottom end to top end including EFi/body/manifolds/exhaust headers etc. Everything is new and factory fresh...never been painted never been run or installed. As I inspected it I seen some items I need to know if they could be used/replaced.
The oil filter location on the side of the block has a 90* tube turned towards the front of the engine for the oil filter to be installed. I assume this tube can be removed and the oil filter be installed at the side of the engine for an F150 set up.
The harmonic balancer has a gear teeth set up on the backside for some reason....what?
Assume I can use my balancer in place of it or just leave the balancer as is unless engine rotating balance would be a problem.
There are two ignition coils mounted at top front of engine and no distributor, only a mounted distrbutor shaft with a plug on top. Assume I cant use this set-up and could remove and replace it with my F150 set-up. Of course the throttle body is a sigle body where mine is two bodys and I would remove the upper and lower intakes and use the F150 throttle bodys and manifolds to keep the F150 wiring ignition setup. Basicly what is on the mountaineer 302 that I dont need just remove and replace it with the F150 set-up.
The GT40P heads on the mountaineer (new) I could not use since the F150 headers will not mount up to the P heads properly due to spark plug angle etc. I would use my E7 heads. Unless I spend money to buy aftermarket headers that Ive seen that would mount up to the P heads.
So, if some can answer questions here and give further advise it would be appreciated. I need to come to a decission on this quickly for the engine is for sale and may be had by someone else befoe I do.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 965 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by my93
The engine is a crate engine never installled that was ordered for a 99 mountaineer (I have a F150 93 302). It is a full crate engine from bottom end to top end including EFi/body/manifolds/exhaust headers etc. Everything is new and factory fresh...never been painted never been run or installed. As I inspected it I seen some items I need to know if they could be used/replaced.
Oh.. Nice find!!

The oil filter location on the side of the block has a 90* tube turned towards the front of the engine for the oil filter to be installed. I assume this tube can be removed and the oil filter be installed at the side of the engine for an F150 set up.
Yes.. no problem.

The harmonic balancer has a gear teeth set up on the backside for some reason....what?
That's a crank sensor for the OBD-2 EFI system.. you can just ignore it.

Assume I can use my balancer in place of it or just leave the balancer as is unless engine rotating balance would be a problem.
Like I said above.. just ignore it.

There are two ignition coils mounted at top front of engine and no distributor, only a mounted distrbutor shaft with a plug on top. Assume I cant use this set-up and could remove and replace it with my F150 set-up.
That's the distributorless ignition system and yes.. your F150 distributor will plug right in once it's removed. Those parts are worth some $$ on the used market as well.

Of course the throttle body is a sigle body where mine is two bodys and I would remove the upper and lower intakes and use the F150 throttle bodys and manifolds to keep the F150 wiring ignition setup.
Good idea.. and again you can make some good $$ selling the Explorer intake.

The GT40P heads on the mountaineer (new) I could not use since the F150 headers will not mount up to the P heads properly due to spark plug angle etc. I would use my E7 heads. Unless I spend money to buy aftermarket headers that Ive seen that would mount up to the P heads.
The header fitment problem on these heads is overblown and generally not as big a deal as some make it out to be. Any aftermarket header except equal length shorties will work with the P heads.. you just have to be prepared to "clearance" a tube or two by heating it up and dimpling it with a balpeen hammer. The P heads are also FAR better performers than the E7s and combined with the Explorer cam in this motor you would be all set to see a pretty healthy increase in power over the stock 5.0 that came in your truck. So it's easily worth it to do whatever it takes to use the P heads including using the stock Mountaineer manifolds even if that means your truck exhaust system has to be modified to mate with them.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
my93
Mountain Pass
Thanks A lot for the quick response! as a curious note if I wanted to use the explorer throttle body I would have to change a lot including the ECU as well as the wiring harness etc., right? Would it be that much improvement in hp or torque gains? Not looking at setting the tires on fire, just thinking if it be worth the additional time and money since I already have the entire upper unit on the motor as well as the cam sensor unit.
I feel I will improve the engine alot just by moving up from the stock F150 302/stock cam/E7 heads to the swap of the 99 motor with the better cam and the heads if I can see doing something with the exhaust to make the P head install.
Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
as a curious note if I wanted to use the explorer throttle body I would have to change a lot including the ECU as well as the wiring harness etc., right?
No. but you have to unwrap the wiring harness and rearrange it to reach the new locations fo the TB, IAC, and EGR.

Would it be that much improvement in hp or torque gains?
No.. none at all, the 5.0 truck intake matches and beats is in some regards.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
my93
Mountain Pass
the exploerer intake is better than the F150 two body? And if it is all I would have to do is un tape and extend the leads to the items you mentioned.

no other changes or adds required?

i dont have to use the cam sensor and the ignition packs with the exporer throttle body/intake/manifolds?

I assume by using the F150 throttle body/intake the F150 fuel injectors will work ok with the engine/larger cam or should I use the explorer injectors. Are the injectors the same #/size?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
the exploerer intake is better than the F150 two body?
No.. no it isn't.

i dont have to use the cam sensor and the ignition packs with the exporer throttle body/intake/manifolds?
If you did use the Explorer intake no you don't need to use the Mountaineer ignition system, but as stated above the Mountaineer intake is about the same as the 5.0 truck intake in terms of flow potential so there's really no point to all this work.

I assume by using the F150 throttle body/intake the F150 fuel injectors will work ok with the engine/larger cam or should I use the explorer injectors. Are the injectors the same #/size?
Both engines use 19lb injectors so it really doesn't matter, and the EFI system in your truck will have no problem with the Mountaineer engine. The only thing you will have to change is the spark plug firing order.. which is 13726548 on the Explorer/Mountaineer engine versus 15426378 on your truck.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
my93
Mountain Pass
Thanks. So if I want to use the newer explorer intake (due to it doesnt have 180K mi. on the throttle body) it would be a no brainer to adapt the wiring etc. And just add a K&N filtered intake on it. The F150 has the two intake round duct system which would not connect to the single TB.

I remember that the 93 had a different density airt mass etc. as opposed to the later model throttle body associated items? no concern here for that correct.

Just as a note I picked the engine up and getting ready to go through it and check all items and clean etc. Once I get itr installed I would use breakin oil for rings etc. to seat in.
BTW I bought the engine for $400

I will be posting back on some questions as I begin the removal and install.

Thanks a 100% for your input

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Thanks. So if I want to use the newer explorer intake (due to it doesnt have 180K mi. on the throttle body) it would be a no brainer to adapt the wiring etc.
It should be pretty straight forward but you may have to lengthen some wires, and the Explorers used a different type of throttle cable so the truck cable won't directly connect to the Explorer TB, you will likely have to get an explorer or lightning cable.

And just add a K&N filtered intake on it. The F150 has the two intake round duct system which would not connect to the single TB.
It won't no so you'll need a single tube system.. something you should be able to find at the junkyard for a lot less than the overpriced K&N systems.

I remember that the 93 had a different density airt mass etc. as opposed to the later model throttle body associated items? no concern here for that correct.
That's right no concern here.

BTW I bought the engine for $400
WOW... great deal. You're on the luck this week.. time to get a lottery ticket.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Several things here: One is the Explorer balancer isn't going to work with the F150 FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive), use the 93 balancer. Two: I just bought a set of Summit's "house brand" shorty headers for the 95 F150 I'm workin on (351W) these headers WILL clear P head's spark plugs with no mods. So check your header fitment before attempting to swap heads or buy new headers. Do NOT use the Explorer "headers", they're only a needless bottleneck you do not want, nor need in an F150.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 AM
my93
Mountain Pass
I just bought a set of Summit's "house brand" shorty headers for the 95 F150 I'm workin on (351W) these headers WILL clear P head's spark plugs with no mods.

You used these on the GT40P heads? If so what was the shorty headers from summit that fit the P head and will fit up in the 93 f150 engine bay. thanks

Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
I just bought a set of Summit's "house brand" shorty headers for the 95 F150 I'm workin on (351W) these headers WILL clear P head's spark plugs with no mods.

You used these on the GT40P heads? If so what was the shorty headers from summit that fit the P head and will fit up in the 93 f150 engine bay. thanks
I didn't use em with P heads, but just from looking at them after bolting them on a set of E7's, they will clear the P head's spark plugs. Now, the 351W headers may not work on a 302 (passenger side) the way it dumps (collector location and angle) But you can try the same brand for 302 trucks, those should be similar in construction (the driver's side should be identical to the 351W header) They're worth a try and you can always return them to Summit if they don't work. Although they're sold under Summit's "house brand" the box they come in says "Pacesetter".

Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM
my93
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Conanski
No.. no it isn't.

Both engines use 19lb injectors so it really doesn't matter, and the EFI system in your truck will have no problem with the Mountaineer engine. The only thing you will have to change is the spark plug firing order.. which is 13726548 on the Explorer/Mountaineer engine versus 15426378 on your truck.
So having to change the firing oder is due to the cam and timing differences. BTW is the mountaineer balancer, key way, and timing marks the same. And I guess the timing cover bolt on point is the same. I can't tell by comparing these two items on the engines since the F150 302 engine is still in the truck and can't clearly see the balancer/timing pointer.

Thanks

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
If I'm not mistaken the Explorer motor has the crankshaft position sensor where the timing pointer would normally be. Firing order is determined by the cam, not the crank. Same crank for both firing orders.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
my93
Mountain Pass
If I'm not mistaken the Explorer motor has the crankshaft position sensor where the timing pointer would normally be. Firing order is determined by the cam, not the crank. Same crank for both firing orders.

Basicly I'm going to use the F150 dictributor/ignition system with the explorer shortblock. Paul noted, I believe, that the explorer harmonic balalncer would be ok to use with the F150 system which I will verify if the timing mark position on both the F150 and the explorer is the same. Woner if the balancers are weighted/balance the same, I would think they would be.
As for the explorers cam position sensor/shaft along with the coil packs I will be posting them on ebay, and the plug wires also. Al other explorer items on top of engine will find their way to ebay also.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
The Explorer balancer does not work with the F150's front accessory drive setup. You will have to use all the Explorer's FEAD, if the F150's wiring and P/S hoses will hookup/plug into the Explorer's accessories.

Quick Reply: 302 truck engine questions, need advice