Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Bronco Build/Resurrect

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the junkyard today looking for a fan shroud or a lincoln MK VIII fan setup. I did not find either one. The fan shroud I pulled off the bronco originally was missing the entire top half. My part bronco doesn't have one either.

I am going to be using the larger radiator with my 5 blade flex fan without a shroud for the time being. I know this isn't really a good idea so I went to Autozone and they have a 16" torqflo electric fan that is a pusher or a puller. It was priced at $64.99 and I get my usual employee discount of 20%. After tax is added and I get my discount, it should come out to about $56.28. The guy said it would come with a thermostat controller and everything. I am not running AC at the moment so I have about 5" in the front of the radiator. The fan is 4.5" inches deep and can also push as well as pull. It draws 20.4 amps and moves 2100 CFM when pulling. I'm not sure of the CFM rating is it is pushing.

Do you think that the combination of the flex fan without a shroud and the aux fan with a supercool radiator will be good enough until I find the right shroud or MK VIII setup? Anyone with experience with this can chime in.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 AM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Cool, no feedback so I guess I'm gonna go for it. Today is my "Friday" so the next two days, I'll be back workin with the Bronco. I decided to become a supporter now. I know for a fact that I have received enough good advice from these forums to justify the purchase. I am hoping that I can have the complete re-assembly of the underhood side of the bronco done by friday night. I should be getting ready to start up the new motor for the first time.

As is sits, I have the exhaust removed from the headers all the way to the tailpipe. The previous owner had 2-1 exhaust going into 2 1/4" single out pipe after going through a $10 glasspack. It sounded like crap. Since I now have long tube headers with 3" collectors, I think I am going to go with 3" duals through flowmaster super 44's coming out in front of the back tires. I am hoping it will sound as good as I expect. I will post a youtube video as soon as its running through the new exhaust. (if it doesn't blow up during the first start up)

Any final words of advice before I make a stupid mistake and trash a $6000 motor?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM
outlawbob
Junior User
i got the original seat in leather and in great shape..i live outside atlanta, ga..if interested

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justin Wallace
I went to the junkyard today looking for a fan shroud or a lincoln MK VIII fan setup. I did not find either one. The fan shroud I pulled off the bronco originally was missing the entire top half. My part bronco doesn't have one either.

I am going to be using the larger radiator with my 5 blade flex fan without a shroud for the time being. I know this isn't really a good idea so I went to Autozone and they have a 16" torqflo electric fan that is a pusher or a puller. It was priced at $64.99 and I get my usual employee discount of 20%. After tax is added and I get my discount, it should come out to about $56.28. The guy said it would come with a thermostat controller and everything. I am not running AC at the moment so I have about 5" in the front of the radiator. The fan is 4.5" inches deep and can also push as well as pull. It draws 20.4 amps and moves 2100 CFM when pulling. I'm not sure of the CFM rating is it is pushing.

Do you think that the combination of the flex fan without a shroud and the aux fan with a supercool radiator will be good enough until I find the right shroud or MK VIII setup? Anyone with experience with this can chime in.
I'm sorry for being slow to respond. I think you will be just fine with the combination. I'm not sure you even need the electric pusher but it is cheap insurance since you already have it.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 PM
justin Wallace
Senior User
I actually haven't bought it yet. I really just want to get through the first start up and came break in before I make any modifications. I don't think my skills are trustworthy enough to make changes right before the initial start. I have a 3g alternator ready to go in probably the same time as the the new fan(s). I probably better run to the junk yard before I buy the generic fan. I'm sure I can find a good mk VIII fan.

During the break in, I have good set of floor dryer fans that will be blasting plenty of fresh air into the radiator.

Thank you for the response and the advice. I have the entire day tomorrow to spend with the bronco just to get everything ready and hooked back up. I will be posting lots of stuff tomorrow night with the progress.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
outlawbob
Junior User
aussie heads are of teh 2v design with a 4v combustion chamber..i know i have aset on my motor..which is being build right now...with all you described you will be looking at 400 + horsepower at the fly will....
please explain to me the stud bolts for the realignment mating of the engine to trans..
thanks
outlawbob

Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Originally Posted by outlawbob
aussie heads are of teh 2v design with a 4v combustion chamber..i know i have aset on my motor..which is being build right now...with all you described you will be looking at 400 + horsepower at the fly will....
please explain to me the stud bolts for the realignment mating of the engine to trans..
thanks
outlawbob
I think I can post a very explainitory picture in the morning. I'm definitely no pro at this but ill just pass on what I picked up. If it wasn't dark now then I'd go grab you a couple of pictures. Ill show you what I used to do the entire job by myself

Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
I would run two of those fans, one to push and one to pull. I don't think that one will be enough air flow on a hot day...

I had the same one on my '96 Ranger and it was not enough to keep it cool on 100* days.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:23 PM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Originally Posted by Raleigh1
I would run two of those fans, one to push and one to pull. I don't think that one will be enough air flow on a hot day...

I had the same one on my '96 Ranger and it was not enough to keep it cool on 100* days.
Good to know. If I don't come up with a better setup at the junkyard then ill just use the fan as pusher and keep the flex fan until I get the right setup. Its hot here in Texas.

Thanks man

Old 03-30-2012, 08:57 AM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Originally Posted by justin Wallace
I think I can post a very explainitory picture in the morning. I'm definitely no pro at this but ill just pass on what I picked up. If it wasn't dark now then I'd go grab you a couple of pictures. Ill show you what I used to do the entire job by myself
All right outlawbob, as I promised, I'll see what I can do to make yours a tad easier. First thing is, make sure you have a good cherry-picker or a good hoist. I'm sure you already got that handled. The next thing, and I think made the biggest difference, get a load leveler for the cherry picker or hoist.

Here is what I used. It was $25 at Harbor Freight. I don't do this all the time so I didn't need anything expensive. This one feels pretty solid anyways.

It has four metal brackets. Hook them to the intake manifold bolts. Don't use the ones in the very back. I did this and the chains hit the firewall and wouldn't let the motor come back far enough.

Disconnect the trans from the crossmember and jack it up until it hits the tunnel. I think the shifter linkage will hit the under side of the floor board before anything else hits.

Before you lower the motor into the engine compartment, it was easiest for me to turn the crank until one of the torque converter bolt holes was visible through the opening where the starter installs. You can always find #1 TDC later. It's easy.

Use the alignment studs that I made in one of the earlier posts. I used 2 1/2" bolts and cut the hex heads off and rounded the head. Put those in the two top engine/trans mount holes.

As the motor starts to get near seating with the transmission, manually spin the torque converter until there is a stud that is near aligning with the hole on the flex plate. Use the load leveler to drop the back of the engine a little lower than it will be when it is set onto the perches. As soon as the two alignment pins are in the holes on the top of the trans, stick your hand into the starter hole and turn the torque converter until the hole lines up with the stud.

This is what it should look like when you get the alignment right. Look into the starter hole. You can see one of the studs in the flex plate hole.

As soon as I hit the alignment just right, the engine just mated perfectly. Yours may be just a hair different but it took me half an hour to drop in the motor by myself. If it isn't lining up right, don't force it. It is just something simple that you are missing. Don't get upset. Just step back and take a breath.

Another tip, the plate between the motor and trans is a pain in the **** to keep from falling off the pins. Either use just a little tape to hold it on or have a helper to keep it in place. If it's off line, the motor won't mate either. When it is time to put your's in, I will be glad to be available on the phone or whatever.

I hope this helps a little. I am sure there is thousands of people on this site that can do this better than me. I'll just tell you my experience and maybe it can save you a little time. I'm off to the garage

Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
outlawbob
Junior User
thanks..good information...i will only be installing the short block..for the weight issue...hopefully will make it easier....great idea about the alignment bolts...didn't list a number.
you know anyone who might needs the original seats let me know

thanks
bob

Last edited by outlawbob; 03-31-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: deleting information
Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I would have commented on the fan situation but i don't know much about that stuff. I could probably hook one up but the details are not my forte.

A side not for the new member Outlawbob, welcome to FTE, also i don't know if it is such a good idea to post you number up. I think maybe a private message would have been better but your choice. Reason being is anyone can view these forums whether their members or not and could use your number for malicious reasons.

P.S. good job on the bronco Justin, can't wait to hear it. i had been thinking about my own exhaust system doing fender exit headers into 2.5 inch pip on either side then into flowmaster super 40s THEN out infront of the rear tires where it is now. Currently i have stock mani's into this stupid flexpipe and mixed with cherry bombs then out the side. It doesn't sound terrible but it could sound better.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 AM
justin Wallace
Senior User
I think today might be the day. I had a pretty productive day yesterday but had to shut down a little early and do the family thing. This is what I have left before I can try to start up:

Wire/install tach
Index spark plugs
Oil prime the motor
Stab distributor
Run all the spark plug wires
Go buy more gas

I am getting nervous. Just a side note, The header gaskets took me 2 hours of calling around and stopping by 5 different part stores. I ended up finding them at a specialty off road shop. This worked out perfect because while I was in there I found the extra linkage parts for my trans kickdown stuff.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM
outlawbob
Junior User
Justin..
I would not use the flex fan......takes horsepower to run...with a large electrical fan and the fan shroud..you will have plenty of cooling...it sounds like you have the large radiator..that's good...get a switch for the fan from hayden or rapid cool..turns on and off as needed..you set teh temperture ...plus you can wire in a override to turn the fan on manually..that's what i did....never had a problem....

Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 PM
justin Wallace
Senior User
Well here goes. I got it all back together and got a helper. You will probably get a post later saying that it blew up or something. Expect the worst but hope for the best I reckon.

Quick Reply: 78 Bronco Build/Resurrect