Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

HD Payload Package and Max Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM
star gazer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I filled in a build form and sent it to 3 different area dealers. NONE of them came back with a price on that truck. All wanted to price me something similar, which NONE of them had the HD payload package.

Just don't understand how much easier it can be when you give them the EXACT truck you want.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:23 AM
fmrcaptevil
New User
A properly set up weight distributing hitch will transfer only about 2/3 of the tongue weight forward to the tow vehicle axles (and 1/3 back to the trailer), so my available payload is not penalized as much as I first might have thought.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil
A properly set up weight distributing hitch will transfer only about 2/3 of the tongue weight forward to the tow vehicle axles (and 1/3 back to the trailer), so my available payload is not penalized as much as I first might have thought.
You'll likely be transferring about 25% of the tongue weight back to the trailer axles. But in terms of payload, you can almost forget about that and subtract nearly the entire tongue weight, as you will have to account for the weight of the WDH itself, which is north of 100 lbs, probably close to 150 lbs depending on which one we are talking about and what rating of the WD hitch. That thing is carried by the truck in addition to the remaining tongue weight.
As has been mentioned many times on here before: even 1,500 lbs of payload is not all that much when we are talking travel trailer towing & camping gear.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by star gazer
I filled in a build form and sent it to 3 different area dealers. NONE of them came back with a price on that truck. All wanted to price me something similar, which NONE of them had the HD payload package.

Just don't understand how much easier it can be when you give them the EXACT truck you want.
I had the same experience when I shopped for my truck last fall. My plan was to spec EXACTLY what I wanted, and then send emails to 10+ dealers. That's what I did. I was VERY clear that I wanted their best price, and that a special order of EXACTLY what I had spec'ed out was the only option for me.
I did not get a single price quote. Not one, really! All I got was tons of spam (even until today), and offers to visit their show rooms to give them an opportunity to talk me into one of the shiny new trucks on their lot that I didn't want. I did learn that every single one of them was the best dealer in the area by a wide margin, and sold the most trucks with at a minimum 110% customer satisfaction. A least that was useful data, LOL.
Seriously, I ended up visiting a few dealers in person, and went through the torture of negotiating a few times. In the end, I think it was worth it, but it sure did not go down according to (my) plan.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
JeffHann74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by star gazer

Yeah, the dealer about 5 minutes from my house was really working hard to locate me a truck, but my requests to order fell on deaf ears. In the end I went to a dealership 50 miles away out in the country. They ordered just what I wanted, and it was ALOT more laid back than any of the dealerships in town. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They all wear jeans and boots up there... just laid back country folks. It sucks when I have to take it back for warranty work like I need to do this week for roof paint, but...

Old 03-10-2012, 12:31 PM
TIO HD
New User
I did everything over the phone, I found a fleet guy who was willing to work with me. I pretty much told him I don't pay MSRP prices. The last Ford I bought I told him since I ordered it and there would be a wait, I do invoice pricing. He pretty much assured me and he gave me several quotes on pdf presentations that he gives to large companies. He gave me all the rebates, incentives, and out of the door price. I was very happy with him and he keeps me up to date on everything. No hassling, no hagging, now Salesman BS pitch, straight to the point. Thats how I roll, I don't come in there with a trade in, I do that ultimately way last...as a last resort. Thats a tip, they ask you for trade in just say you don't have one. If they ask how much you want to put down, say nothing. Once the price is negotiated thats when you come in with the trade in appraisal.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM
cgartly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greg B
I agree with Flixden, it may be well worth the wait. You can always get some beefier rear springs or have a spring shop add some leafs. With a 7000 lb. travel trailer on the hitch, the heavier springs are a necessity in my opinion. That's 700-1100 lbs. of weight on the hitch. Even with max tow, it'll probably squat more than I'd like for good handling and stability.
Unfortunately due to two vehicle trade ins and the incentives and financing rate I don't think waiting is an option for me at this point. We have been contemplating getting rid of the travel trailer for some time as we don't use it much but I would suspect we will use it for the next two years once per year.

90% of the truck's use will be with a canopy (200lb's), ladders (100 lb's), various gear (300-400 lb's) and only one occupant. It will tow my 3000 lb boat regularly in the summer but its a pretty short journey to the lake.

I purchased the airbags just to help keep some of the load (mentioned above) off of the springs to hopefully reduce wear and tear and keep the truck level even with the load.

I was hoping to use the airbags for towing my travel trailer as well but if it will create potential issues I'll just deflate them down to their minimum pressure (5psi I believe).

I am curious what is the difference between using airbags or adding another leaf? My initial understanding was nothing and I chose the airbags just so that I could adjust based on load.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A friend of mine tows a travel trailer with his 1500 Chevy Silverado. He uses air bags and has had zero problems. I prefer the Add-A-Leaf or additional leafs in the springs because I want the least possible maintenance over the long term. Air bags always have a chance for leaks. It's just personal preference. You should be fine with air bags. And your logic is correct in keeping the truck level while towing. It'll be a better handling experience.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greg B
And your logic is correct in keeping the truck level while towing. It'll be a better handling experience.
Actually, it is not the "being level" that makes the handling better, it is mainly the weight distribution which prevents the front axle from being unloaded when hooking up a bumper pull trailer. A load in the bed won't do that (front axle unloading), assuming not all of it sits behind the rear axle.
Of course, riding the bump stops with an overloaded truck isn't fun either, but when pulling a travel trailer that is a secondary effect/issue. Air bags are more useful for really heavy loads (again: overloading?) or 5th wheel towing, not travel trailers.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:38 PM
cgartly
Senior User
I guess I really should've paid more attention to the payload vs max trailer tow ratings. My 1500 HD Chevy was max trailer tow of 7,900 lb's the way it was equipped with a payload (specs not sticker) of 2,754 lbs.

My Ford (when I get it) is max trailer tow of 11,100 lb's with a payload (spec not sticker) of 1,840 lb's.

When I was considering the differences I never even considered payload, I only looked at the trailer towing capacities which I've now learned can be very deceiving.

I have a feeling in order to be within the trucks rated capacities I'm going to have to put the bulky light stuff in the back of the truck and keep the heavier stuff in the trailer. I'm going to have to find a scale that I can play around on.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cgartly
When I was considering the differences I never even considered payload, I only looked at the trailer towing capacities which I've now learned can be very deceiving.
I think that is very common. I did the same thing with my Tacoma, until I realized something didn't feel right, and I took the rig to the scales.

I have a feeling in order to be within the trucks rated capacities I'm going to have to put the bulky light stuff in the back of the truck and keep the heavier stuff in the trailer. I'm going to have to find a scale that I can play around on.
Yes, that will help, and I think many people do that. When you look, there are many people towing TT's with a completely empty truck bed.
Difficult for us with the kids: dirty bikes, dirty coolers, firewood, etc. But many people manage to do it. For sure a working approach.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 AM
cgartly
Senior User
I just ordered a trailer tongue scale so I can be sure what my tongue ways on my travel trailer and can check its weight when loaded different ways.

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780

Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 AM
flixden
Posting Guru
I just ordered a trailer tongue scale so I can be sure what my tongue ways on my travel trailer and can check its weight when loaded different ways.

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale - 2,000-lb Capacity Sherline Tools 5780
I have the same one. They work very well, just make sure it sits straight when measuring. Good idea!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
I just ordered my F150 FX4 and will take delivery in 6-8 weeks. One thing I wanted was the Towing PKG. and also the Max payload pkg. I was told that in the FX4 the Max payload Pkg is not an option, only the Tow pkg is available. Ive read on various forums that people think the Max payload comes with the towing pkg and that is not true. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Billyclub
I just ordered my F150 FX4 and will take delivery in 6-8 weeks. One thing I wanted was the Towing PKG. and also the Max payload pkg. I was told that in the FX4 the Max payload Pkg is not an option, only the Tow pkg is available. Ive read on various forums that people think the Max payload comes with the towing pkg and that is not true. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Billy, there are three packages: standard tow package; max tow package and HD payload package. There is no "max payload package".
The max tow package increases GVWR to 7,700 lbs I think, and HD payload to 8,200 lbs. I believe it is correct that with an FX4 you can only get standard and max tow, but not HD payload. I hope you ordered max tow and not just the standard tow package, as it sounds like that's what you are after.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: HD Payload Package and Max Tow Package