6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 01:47 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 363 Likes on 133 Posts
Coming in late to this party, I got a 2014 F-250 for distances and a 1995 Bronco 5.8 for local. I love my diesel and run the daylights out of it, 107,000 miles and still running great but I will warn you diesels don't like short runs, it's gotta have time to warm up or you will have problems.

Right now I'm working up in Alberta at a refinery north of Edmonton. I go out in the morning and start the truck and set the fast idle at 900 rpm for 15 minutes before I leave and I got 40 minutes to drive each way. I still have all my emisions equipment and do so as I travel to areas where they have testing and have been ticketed in the past as a gross polluter (Gotta love the land of fruits and nuts) when just driving down the freeway.

I suggest that if you buy a SD, if you're not driving long enough to get it warm, figure at least 20 minutes buy a gasser. Maintenance is cheaper, repairs are typically cheaper, they're more forgiving on the short drives.

My $0.02.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 PM
lbi4life
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 or 6.7

I am looking to by a new super duty soon, but i am not sure on which engine i want. I honestly dont tow very much so it seems like a no-brainer, but i am not sure which is best. just wanted to hear some opinions from others who have these engines.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If only there were a dozen pages in this thread alone on the topic and probably dozens of others as well.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:56 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Personal Choice

Diesel are COOL, with cool comes cost. Do you need a super duty is the first question. I love mine diesel super duty but I don't use it for local drives. A F150 will give you a better ride and tow 12k. If you looking for the LOOK of a super duty with Big everything and are going to keep it with in 50 miles range go GAS. You will hate the mileage once you add the lift and the tires.

The other thing to know is that Diesel DO take more knowledge and care. Don't under estimate this. One wrong step in refilling fuel or def will likely cause a 10k repair bill. They do not handle the wrong anything at all. So REALLY ask yourself what fits your needs.

Also Gas Engine DO last hundred of thousand of miles.

I love my diesel for many reason. Range towing, Power, Low RPM's.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Joseph Penhale
New User
i have a 6.2 4:30 and want the 6.7

I have a 6.2L with 4:30 gears. It is rated for 15,300 pounds 5th wheel/gooseneck. I am pulling a 326 SRX toy hauler. The camper loaded is about 11,500 pounds (no toy in it). My truck screams going up hill and I can't use cruise control for fear of it shifting into 2nd gear while going 60 mph. The truck is a beast and will surely get the job done.

Others are right to say it will do anything the 6.7 can do. But I am getting tired of hearing a raging engine on every incline while struggling to hear my cranky *** wife muttering in the passenger seat. If she is talking **** I need to hear it clearly so I can fire for effect. I have a feeling the turbo diesel will just do the job better. Also, a Prius has better acceleration than the 6.2. I test drive the 6.7 today and it felt like a rocket.

I'm currently in SC and anywhere worth going is up hill. I will be moving to Alaska next year and don't want to stress about 7-9 mpg on the Alaskan highway driving through the Yukon where fuel stations are few and far between. I'm probably going to trade my truck at a small loss to get a used 6.7.

Just my two cents. If you are towing under 10,000 pounds or are towing heavier very infrequently, the 6.2 is probably adequate. Anything more and you may want to consider a used diesel as well. I am lucky to average 12 mpg unloaded with the 6.2 as well.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,373 Likes on 4,632 Posts
My second truck, first Ford was a 1996 (bought as F250 but later swapped in a Kingpin Dana 60; the F250s and 350s shared the same rear axles: the Sterling 10.25) so I called her a F350. She was named Overkill, had 4.11s and a Meyer 8' straight snowplow. She had the Windsor 351 and did everything I asked of her. I believe I averaged only 9 to 9.5 mpg. When my neighbor drove with me in my truck because I started to plow for him, he was surprised at the amount of snow Overkill could push...he had a 7.3 Ford. I sold her a few years back...I love the OBS trucks.

My dad drove truck so I was exposed to diesel at a younger age. I always loved them. I have probably been getting Diesel Power magazine for at least 10+ years. I always told people I was a diesel truck owner but hadn't bought the truck yet.

Flash forward and I was finally able to purchase my first diesel truck. At this point, it was more of a want than a need. But I wanted it because I wanted a diesel, I take care of my trucks and I keep them for a long time. I've always said you either pay for a new truck or you pay to maintain an older truck. Either way it costs money.

Like a friend of mine said: "Being cool ain't cheap." But I knew what I was getting into. It costs more to maintain a diesel truck than it does a gasser. I have experienced the racing engine phenomenon when pulling a load up the hill with Overkill. I always told myself my next truck would be a diesel. I'm fine with the price of admission.

The low end torque, the diesel sound and the better mileage than the gasser truck...I can't wait to plow with her. Gotta buy the plow first though. Once we get our camper, I'll be glad I bought the 6.7.

Look at it this way...you never see people complaining about their new big screen TV and say, "Man I went too big...I should have bought a smaller one..." Normally it's " I should have bought a bigger TV..."

Just my 2 pennies...

Last edited by Overkill2; 12-08-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Joseph, the absolute last place you want a modern diesel is in Alaska. For 8+ month if the year, they never warm up enough to become efficient. Idling kills them. A 2005 or so diesel sure, but nothing newer unless it will be traveling down the road 2 hours each way.

Originally Posted by Joseph Penhale
I have a 6.2L with 4:30 gears. It is rated for 15,300 pounds 5th wheel/gooseneck. I am pulling a 326 SRX toy hauler. The camper loaded is about 11,500 pounds (no toy in it). My truck screams going up hill and I can't use cruise control for fear of it shifting into 2nd gear while going 60 mph. The truck is a beast and will surely get the job done.

Others are right to say it will do anything the 6.7 can do. But I am getting tired of hearing a raging engine on every incline while struggling to hear my cranky *** wife muttering in the passenger seat. If she is talking **** I need to hear it clearly so I can fire for effect. I have a feeling the turbo diesel will just do the job better. Also, a Prius has better acceleration than the 6.2. I test drive the 6.7 today and it felt like a rocket.

I'm currently in SC and anywhere worth going is up hill. I will be moving to Alaska next year and don't want to stress about 7-9 mpg on the Alaskan highway driving through the Yukon where fuel stations are few and far between. I'm probably going to trade my truck at a small loss to get a used 6.7.

Just my two cents. If you are towing under 10,000 pounds or are towing heavier very infrequently, the 6.2 is probably adequate. Anything more and you may want to consider a used diesel as well. I am lucky to average 12 mpg unloaded with the 6.2 as well.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 PM
09f250v10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom
To be honest if I had to do it all over again I would have bought the 6.2L gas engine instead. Both my 6.4L and 6.7L trucks scared me to own after the warranty period was up. Sure the fuel economy and towing experience were better with the diesel, but the cost once the warranty is up can be absolutely devastating. Of course anything can break but a modern turbodiesel is much more likely to require enough cash to buy a new compact car to get back on the road.

On top of that, just like ruschejj said, the 6.2L will pull just about anything the 6.7L will. I've seen how the 6.2L does loaded to the max up a steep hill, and I was really impressed. If I remember right it was within 3 MPH of the 6.7L truck we had out that day. Really sweet running engine, and the bonus is that you get to hear it sing in all it's glory!
I just got into a 2017 6.2 and I absolutely love it. The way it rides and drives is pure joy. I had a 2016 6.7 that was my "dream truck" (diesel, 4 doors, navigation). I loved it, planned on keeping it long term, etc. I had finally got comfortable with the idea of deleting it and it developed some issues that a truck with 20,000 miles should not develop. It ruined my outlook on the truck and keeping it long term since I no longer felt comfortable deleting it, especially after being meticulously maintenanced and broke in. I thought very hard and lost a lot of sleep over the course of a few days and ended up deciding to go test drive a 2017 6.2 to see if it felt sluggish compared to the 6.7 I was used to. The test drive was it for me, it had plenty of get up and go, and the chassis and suspension felt great. Glad I made the switch back to gas, my stress level with the mechanical aspects of the 6.2 are ZERO! And that alone is worth the switch to me personally. For what I tow, the gas engine does just fine and it's definitely no slouch, especially with the 2017 revisions to the motor. And I agree, I love hearing it sing! I'm so happy to be able to hear and enjoy the exhaust, something that was non existent in my 6.7.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
rambo3489
Trailering
Bump. Wanted to try and bring this thread back to life now that there has been a few years since most people had posted. Hoping to see if there are any new perspectives out there on this as I am currently closing in on my truck purchase.

Edit: Missed the last two pages. So people have kept up into 2017. (BUT it's better than opening another thread on the subject)

Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 AM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm currently in the same position as some on here.I have owned diesels since 02 and never owned a gasser before.I'm thinking about a change and switching to gas.I just had my dealer put together some numbers on a 17 6.2L.I've always been the guy banging on his chest yelling diesel for life so I'm having a hard time thinking about going gas.

This crap will make a guy lose sleep at night!

(I know,I have such a terrible life lol)

Old 09-09-2017, 02:52 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by nico963
I'm currently in the same position as some on here.I have owned diesels since 02 and never owned a gasser before.I'm thinking about a change and switching to gas.I just had my dealer put together some numbers on a 17 6.2L.I've always been the guy banging on his chest yelling diesel for life so I'm having a hard time thinking about going gas.

This crap will make a guy lose sleep at night!

(I know,I have such a terrible life lol)
20 years of diesels here with my last diesel being a 2014 Powerstroke. Now I'm on my second 6.2. My number one thing I have learned is get a 4.30 geared 6.2. It makes the switch much easier.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:21 AM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RainDesert
20 years of diesels here with my last diesel being a 2014 Powerstroke. Now I'm on my second 6.2. My number one thing I have learned is get a 4.30 geared 6.2. It makes the switch much easier.
Thanks buddy,I read almost all your posts and take a lot of your info into consideration.I would definitely get 4:30's.My dealer has a ton of "Perfect" trucks for me to look at but none of them have 4:30's.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:25 PM
wponder11
5th Wheeling
I am wrestling with the same thing some input from others would be great!!! I had a 2011 F350 and enjoyed it. I got talked into going down to the F150 3.5L EB, 3.55. Now the better 1/2 has us in a 25ft airstream we are pulling with the F150. It does really well with the weight distribution hitch dialed in. I am running about 12,500 combined right now. My concern is as I get closer to having it setup with all our gear I am getting closer to hitting max's with payload.

From time to time I need to bring our whitewater raft, frame and its gear with two additional people. That is going to push us closer to 13-14K and then we are in a position of moving the weight around. It's still in the F150 range but I think I will loose confidence in it. Plus the wear and tear running that heavy all the time.

We pulling about 2000 miles a month until we start staying places longer but are almost full time. I figure going ahead and trading up to a 250 will give us the extra capacity we need but I am stuck on going back to diesel or do the 6.2 with highest gear ratio.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That eco boost is a great puller. My opinion is that if you are buying the truck to tow trailers then the diesel is the most pleasant choice. As always, the "however" is that the 6.2/4.30 is just fine too. It's just not as pleasant to tow with. Your mind is focused on speed/gear/rpm in ways that require you to make decisions while you're driving and with the diesel you just ignore it and focus on whatever else your mind wanders to.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:29 PM
paulbearson
New User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
In light of the HPFP threads etc. I was wondering why a lot of you chose your 6.7 over a gas model? In looking for what type of truck I would want I was drawn to the diesel for the towing capacity. The wife had talked about pulling a 5th wheel one day and I thought the only way we would be able to pull the 5th wheel she looks at (roughly the size of a house) was to buy a diesel.

I am really not trying to start a doom and gloom thread...I just want some responses from a lot of you that have the 6.7 as to why you chose it over the gas model. I am aware that the torque for the diesel is almost double what the gas model can produce.

Anyway, I would like to hear some thoughts either way on the subject.
Just last week I bought my 2017 F-250 with the 6.2, after much agonizing over which motor I should get. In the end, given the fact the 6.2 will pull about the same weight as a 6.7 and I saved about $13,000 given the other truck I was offered on the lot which had the 6.7 (it did have more options), I think I made the right choice. Lightly loaded, the 6.2 provides satisfying accelaration. Of course, putting 10,000 on the back end does slow it up, but I don't do that very often. Also, my mechanic told me that if i had a problem with the diesel, it would be a big and expensive problem. For $2800 I purchase a 10-year 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty, as well. So, I am happy with my purchase.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Diesel or 6.2 Gas?