Horn Relay Integrated into CFB How to test horn circuit

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 06:21 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Horn Relay Integrated into CFB How to test horn circuit

My Problem
Help !! The horn on my 02 F350 quit working the other day and I have been looking for a how to procedure to diagnose and repair.
Found out that Horn Relay is integrated into the CFB, and is non servicable and I would need to buy a new Central Fuse Box to repair my No horn issue.
I call "Horse****" There has to be another way. I have an aftermarket train horn that when the compreeor is switched on the oem horn button
on steering wheel sounds the train horn without the oem horn. When compreesor is off the oem horn button sounds the oem horn.
Not any more. I press the oem steering wheel button without compressor on and get no oem horn. with the compressor on i get no train horn
My Request
Can anyone point me towards how to test horn circuit or post here a how to fix this problem.
I live in a small town in Ca. and the neighboring town is even smaller. Everytime I go through the neighboring town I sound off with my train horn
which is usually around 4am=6am. Everybody in the town is baffled because they dont have any train tracks nearby. Feels kinda strange after
2 years of driving the phantom train, its awfully quiet when i go through.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:29 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I take it you have verified the horn is actually good? Apply power to the side opposite the ground and if it works, you have a problem with the power. Attached is the diagram and connector views for the CJB. You can test the relay and power at those connectors. Have you checked the fuse?

If the relay is actually bad, you can install an external relay by wiring in power to the relay and then using the wire for the steering wheel to trigger the relay ground.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:52 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
Excellent information !! I was not able to find the connectors shown (or maybe I did but was not aware of it), but the schematics and wire color codes I was able to follow.
I grounded the DB wire that connects to the horn pad atop the airbag assy. RESULT was no oem horn sound.
I traced the DB to the connector on the opposing side of the clock spring assy. I unplugged the wiring harness
going into that connector and grounded the DB wire of that harness. RESULT was oem horn sounded and Integrated relay functioned

Footnote: The cruise control actuator buttons on the steering wheel are in-op also
AND the Air Bag light flashes 3 times then 2 times and repeats flashing 5 cycles then stays on after start-up

From this information is it safe to say that the clock spring assy is not fuctioning as designed and should be replaced?

Last edited by knotEdog; 12-06-2019 at 05:02 AM. Reason: added airbag light info
Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

I would say it is in the clock spring if all of those items are not working.

Here is the manual on Replacing the Clock Spring

Old 12-07-2019, 08:06 AM
knotEdog
Junior User
THANKS TO KEN THE PHANTOM TRAIN SOUNDS OFF AGAIN

I don't even know how to thank you Ken for all this excellent information. Without it, I could see how replacing the clock-spring could easily turn into a nightmare repair. Your test point information and the removal and installation procedure information was right on. My hat is off to you sir. For those of you who are going to attempt this repair and complete it properly and safely, i suggest you print out the information supplied in this thread and "read it completely before starting". Somehow the ribbon cable inside my clock spring became torn off of the riveted in connector on the clock spring assy which makes the only repair a replacement.clock spring assy. I followed the info Ken posted and thanks to Ken and Freedom Racing Tool and Auto,LLC for stocking the specialty restraint system tools needed, my repair went smoother than a hand rolled Cuban.
Perfect timing also. Visiblity is at 1% with blanket fog that would keep Sherlock Holmes indoors. All aboard the Phantom Train !!! Wooo Friggin Wooo !!!

a mystery

A SLINKY

A mess

Old 12-07-2019, 04:53 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

That's great that you found the issue and got it fixed! I'm glad the information made it easier, that is what FTE is all about!